Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a gemmy life-size mummy for 10 bucks and I was wondering if anyone had done anyting interesting to one.

See one HERE

I believe mine needs a bit of repair but I can't find any videos to be certain. You see the eyes only light up when they are in the center or the left, but not when they are turned to the right. That doesn't seem like normal operation to me.

Anyway, I'm about to take the head apart and by looking at the design and innards, I seems very hackable. I'll post pics soon explaining what I can figure out of the inner workings, but if anyone has done anything interesting to one of these I'd like to know about it.

thanks,

HAC

·
Registered
591 Posts
put an audio/sound organ in it or hook up an MP3 player so when it lights up it make so kind of mummy moaning sound.You may be able to go to the gemmy website and see if there is a video.was this an ebay buy?great price!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was at a local auction. My guess is some business bought it for halloween and realized they didn't have anywhere to store it.

Actually the mummy already makes sounds! When you trip the sensor his eyes move left and right and he mumbles one of 6 or so random things while his eyes light in time to what he is saying. Usually I HATE the canned sounds that come with these props but his are pretty good. I've taken the head apart and since I've figured that the issue with the eyes are loose wires going to the leds in them, probably due to excessive use. The eye mechanism is rather complicated though so it will be a few days until I can repair it.

I can tell you this from taking it apart though:

The head attaches to the body via a locking mechanism on the neck. A stereo male jack sticks out of the top of the neck which plugs into a socket on the head. The funny thing is the way it is molded there are attachment points for a second jack/socket combo. Also the neck stump rotates about 45 degrees. While this isn't animated, it could be possible to double the eye movement into the neck.

The actual pcb is in the torso, which doesn't make a lot of sense seeing as how there is more than enough room to put the pcb, speaker and eye mechanism all in the head. Anyway, the pcb runs 4 wires to the jack the plugs into the head, two red and two green. On the head side two of these wires go to the motor (which is a simple gear box, with a toy motor attached, no servo) and the other two go to the wires on the leds.

So we have to assume that the leds are just a simple voltage pump (color organ) that blink as the mummy talks via the sound being sent through the wires. As for the motor, the voltage line must actually be switched by the pcb to make the motor go forwards and reverese seeing as how there are only two wires. I do know that the voltage used must be fairly high seeing as how I hooked the head to my stereo and didn't get any blinking or motor movement. Judging by the gague of the wire I'd say it operates at 5-7 volts.

Anyway, there is a ton of room for mods here. For one the neck stump rotates about 45 degrees, so even though it isn't animated, one could find a similar gearbox/motor rig that the eyes use and attach it to the neck stump, making the head move as well. Also, suprisingly, the whole face is molded, even though you only see the eyes and a bit of the nose with his hood on. The paint job is airly terrible, but the detail is there, so I can paint him and make him look at lot better. The arms, and especially the hands at pretty fake looking. I intend to take some spare blucky bones and put in his elbows to sharpen them up and maybe find some mummy/witch/ghoul hands to replace the pitiful "mittens" he has now.

Also the only thing keeping this guy from being fairly water-proof is the fact that the pcb controls and plug-in come out his butt cheek. This seems odd as there is a giant hole on the inside where the legs and torso attach. I'll probably route the power chord, at the very least, through the legs and out teh bottom of the feet instead of how it is now.

Anyway, that's all the ideas for improvement I have now, but I'd apprecate others. Also I've heard there is a light-up version of this one that is identical except that the entire mummy glows! If anyone has a pic of that I'd like to see it as this is the same mummy and I could probably mod this one to glow as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've ran into a bit of a problem. I took the eyes apart today, but I can't get into them. The outside part of the eye is super-glued to the back and I can't pry it loose to get to the led inside. Has anyone run into this? The eyes appear to be the same as any other gemmy prop so I would appreciate any help you could give.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts