Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have problems with my life size Myers prop from 2009 Spirit Halloween. Every time the head moves side to side it makes this loud cranking noise I checked under the head and there are tiny plastic cheap gears they are greased up and there is a tiny little gear on top of a motor seems to be coming from there. Has anyone fixed there gemmy prop from this noise? It sounds like the gears are grinding. I was thinking of replacing the motor itself.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was either the gears or motor on the motor there is a pin on top there is a tiny motor I replaced the other gears and the tiny gear. Still makes the noise, the motor runs good and it moves its just that grinding noise.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Is there one of those tiny black "O-Ring" type belts in the vicinity of the grinding?? Those things lose their tension after a few years and slip on the pulley.
I really don't think that would cause a grinding sound, but might be something to check.
I've used small rubber bands as a quick fix in the past.
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok, here we go, a brief explanation of why it's doing what its doing.
The Gemmy props will drive a motor regardless of voltage of 6V 8V or 12V, so, if it's drives 12V+ one way then 12V- the opposite direction.
That's when it works properly.
You get the pop at the end of a motion wither it be all the way forward or all the way reverse because the control board knows to power each direction equal times with equal voltage.
Why the pop?
Because either a gear has jumped a tooth ( usually not ) / rubber band slipped / motor just over spun once, / somebody bumped it while in motion / someone touched it too hard.
There's a lot of reasons why it can loose its home start place.
It wont stop until it finds home again according to the timing of the control board.
All Gemmy props are plagued with this and a host of other weird issues.
Another thing that can cause the issue with the popping sound is if the voltage is too low on one side of the action, that's when the things sounds like they're having a epileptic seizure.
If that's the case then the board has to be fixed and don't get any bright ideas about getting a replacement board from Gemmy, you won't, Gemmy won't sell boards to anyone nor will they sell the motors or any part for that matter.
If you contact them you will get a nice message just like this:

Thank you for your interest in Gemmy products! I am sorry your product is not functioning properly. As the item was purchased four years ago I am unable to offer you a repair or replacement. Unfortunately we do not have replacement parts that involve the internal electric and mechanic functions of items nor do we have schematics or wire diagrams. If you have had the adapter tested and it is putting out enough power and the item is still not functioning properly, you may try contacting a professional electronic repair center in your area for suggestions or service.
Thank you,
Customer Service

In other words Gemmy does not offer any warranty, parts, help or service for repair in any fashion or form what so ever.
I got that when I was trying to get a schematic for a newer Michael Myers version.
So I had to sit down and spend literately 16hrs drawing out a schematic of my own to replace a $3.00 power driver chip set on the board.

Don't get me wrong at $250.00 a piece that most pay for these things new it's not too bad of a deal as long as you know that in three or four years it's a roll of the dice if its gonna work right or not.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts