Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While at HOME DEPOT today, I noticed that Gemmy has come out with new lighting that is controlled by your cellphone/tablet's app. These are listed as being Exclusive to Home Depot this year. You buy these specially designed LED lights (come in sets of several together depending on the type) to work with the app. The App can be downloaded on Apple's App Store or on Google's Google Play.

Phone/Tablet requirements:
iOS 6.0 or higher, iPhone: 4s, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6+; iPad: iPad3, iPad mini (1,2,3 series), iPad Air (1,2 series); iPod touch
Android 4.3 or higher, supporting 4.0 Bluetooth.
I suspect you can go to your devices app store and get more specifics on what the app does there.

Any way here's one of the boxes so you can see what it is:

Your "old" kaleidoscopes btw won't work with the app in case you were wondering.

For anyone interested in trading in your strands of incandescent christmas lights, HD is repeating their trade in event thru 11/15. I posted a thread on this here:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/145740-home-depots-christmas-light-trade-ends-11-15-15-a.html

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
black light queen
2,494 Posts
envy of the block, eh? yeah, right ...

aren't there already leds that have remote controls? no you can't control from your phone, but ... i'm not certain that that functionality is something that i "can't live without" so ... i don't know ... i don't get it ... yeah it's kewl, but how many remote controlled led strings can you get for the $$ ... i'm not seeing a good "bang-for-the-buck" ratio here

amk

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nothing new ever is amk. I'm not into light shows with music or otherwise but I think it's an interesting trend. You've been able to get landscaping lights in the past few years with some level of customization and now we're seeing it trickling down to the general consumer level for the holidays. I'm sure for some people the convenience is attractive and you do get more lighting options for one price than buying lots of strands of lights in just one color for example. With incandescent strands you could always switch bulbs to add different colored lights, maybe add a flasher to it. Because of the different ratings for LEDs, you can't easily switch them out among colors. Heck a few years ago LED white lights were that eerie bluish color until they came up with warm white. I find the whole lighting advancements very interesting. What I'm looking forward to is what people here will think to come up with to hack them for cool halloween usage.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I saw these the other day too. The price put me off. I couldn't see how long each string was but it doesn't seem like much. It quickly started adding up to 100's in my head thinking about what I'd need. Passed on them. Kinda cool, but I think I'd prefer to hear from some people using them and how the hardware/software holds up.

·
Registered
13,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only lighting selection I would consider probably with this set up was the set of 3 spot lights. Believe I saw the same price on it as the Kaleidoscope, $60. I was really surprised the Kaleidoscope was just one fixture for that price. For the set of 3 spots, that would be $20 per spotlight and not too far off of what spotlights are selling for $15-20 depending on store. I don't know if it lets you dim them, to me that would be an interesting and useful feature.

One of my concerns is how great (i.e. bug free, secure) is the software app they have and how often will they do updates for the phone apps to keep it working with mobile software OS updates. I have a lot more faith in Lutron's software for home lighting than Gemmy's (we installed a lighting controller a few years back when we were having our kitchen/family room remodeled. Lutron has big money behind them to provide a high end product and also a good reputation to maintain). I haven't checked out the app store yet to see if anyone has bought any AppLights and run it through it's paces with the phone app, but I'll be watching the reviews that get posted. Love to hear any reviews from members here on the forum if you take the plunge.

The way I look at it those Gemmy shooting star icicles that came out a few years back were really pricy IMO, as well as those color controlled LED strip lighting systems, and both have come down some in subsequent years so worth keeping one's eyes on these to see how they do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts