Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm hoping any owners of the Gemmy Light Show controller can answer this question? How well would it work as a lightning machine? It appears to be sound controlled in some form or fashion. If one was to put a thunder track on their mp3 player and hook it up to some of those blue photo flood lamps, how well would it work?

I found this youtube video showing someone just testing it out. Mute the sound while playing this and imagine it playing to a decent thunder track!

YouTube - Gemmy light test

Anyone tried this? Anyone willing to and post their findings?

Man, I have to find one of these!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Same concept as the LIGHTNING FX BOX. I don't see why it wouldn't work. I used colored and white fluorescent bulbs with my lightning fx box and a thunder soundtrack. It worked just fine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Two issues here, first it's not rated for that much so you would be very hard pressed to get a decent lightning effect from smaller wattage lights..Second is it doesn't have any way to control the sensativity of the sound track and the light would be either on or off...I have one I use it for singing pumpkins and I do think it's a decent product just not sure you would be happy with the effect it would give for lightning.

Try it out maybe you can prove me wrong..I use the Izombie 2401, while it's a bit pricey it really makes the haunt, it's second to none.

Good luck with the Gemmy, let us now how you make out.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If you are handy with a soldering iron, I bought kits real cheap from Electronic Goldmine. You are looking for the sound organ kits. These are cheap and easy to build. There are single and multiple ones. I'm very pleased with the kits and the PRICE.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I got a Lighting FX Box (essentually a single channel light organ in a plastic box) last halloween and it worked great! Now I'm looking to enhance the lightning strikes to that of more of a strobe look.

I might just hook up a strobe to the Lighting FX Box as one of my lights. That'll probably work fine!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE: Gemmy Lightshow...

Troy, thank you for the input. I believe it's rated high enough for my pruposes but I see your point regarding the lack of a sensitivity knob.

Still... would like to try one in person... will have to keep my eyes open for one just to play around with!

·
Registered
187 Posts
RE: Gemmy Lightshow...

Troy, thank you for the input. I believe it's rated high enough for my pruposes but I see your point regarding the lack of a sensitivity knob.

Still... would like to try one in person... will have to keep my eyes open for one just to play around with!

Lighting in the most important aspect of any good haunt IMO, if your going to spend any money it should be on proper lighting. If your going to have Lightning do yourself a favor and jusy check out the I-Zombie, the CD that comes with it is incredible and you will have professional Lightning. It get the most attention in my Haunt even more than some expensive animatronics. I'd never be without it or something equal to it!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear ya. I think I will take your advice and go that route. Thanks! :O)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Well, again depends on how much you want to spend and how many lights you need to power. Those are some seriously expensive lightning controllers. Though, I see that they allow tons of watts and I'm sure they're great.

I saw the videos. No offense, but the single and stereo controller looks exactly like my fxlightning box. I do like the multi-channel one but way out my budget.

As far as a great sounding thunder soundtrack. Those can be had for free off the internet. Many natural recordings out there that are professional and scary.

Again, if you're just going for a few lights and don't want to spend alot the fxlightningbox will do a great job. I'm sure others here on this forum will agree with me. I know that a bunch where bought.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
ops...forgot to mention that there is a somewhat sound/sensitivity knob on the fxlightning box. The big knob on the front turns it on and the more you crank it up the stronger it is. I usually keep it lower though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts