Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered the outdoor Gemmy 6-plug Light and Sound Box with mp3 connector from FRONTGATE. It was listed in their Outlet section under Holiday Decor. Was 99.00 and now $29.00!!! Shipping was reasonable for me too $8.00 (UPS, 3-7 business days). This was an unexpected find. I looked at stuff like this last year but ran out of money so never did anything. Even if I end up upgrading later with a more sophisticated system I thought this would be fun to use in the meantime.

Here's a link to the Frontgate product page: Outdoor Music and Light Timer - Frontgate

at this clearance price they will sell out fast so don't wait too long if you are considering picking up one.

BTW I've read some posters have had some problems with this system (maybe due to the specs of the mp3 player used?) and saw this solution posted by DaveintheGrave: http://www.halloweenforum.com/680497-post4.html. Dave, if you're out there and read this, how did your Gemmy box work out?

Also wondering how many people out there are using the Gemmy product for their Halloween displays and what you used it to do. Please post if you have one.

·
Registered
622 Posts
G of S, thank you for the link!!! I may just have to grab one of those!

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some other tips I've picked up from the web on using the Gemmy box:

One user said he gets much better results if he converts the music from stereo to mono. Said the lights get better action. Mentioned he used Audacity to do the conversion. Sure there are other programs one can use.

Gemmy emailed someone that you can't use the Light Show with LED lighting. I suspect the lights don't draw enough power to work as the box intends them to. So save some of your regular string lights to use in case you are converting over to LEDs.

Also one person said they had good results using an FX Lightning Box (or Xmas Tree version!, same box really) to boost the audio. Guess it works like an amplifier.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My set-up last year

I used Gemmy's LightShow Box with the MP3 connection and the speaker output hooked into a stereo. I wish the videos were better. you can't tell from the videos - I strung lights in some trees that I had gotten from a friend who had gotten them from a local halloween shop after the season, the ground lights are hollow plastic skulls with Christmas bulbs inside.

Halloween 2008 :: Tubular Hell video by garfoos - Photobucket

Halloween 2008 :: This is Halloween video by garfoos - Photobucket

Halloween 2008 :: Tocatta video by garfoos - Photobucket

Halloween 2008 :: Excalibur video by garfoos - Photobucket

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow great vids but i still like my light o rama

Yeah but you gotta like the $29.00 price of the Gemmy Light Show....:D

I liked the videos too. Thanks for posting Colloween. My plan for the light show will be to use it for singing pumpkins so 6 outlets should be enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have three of those boxes and use LED's all the time. I even have one in my garage right now to annoy my friends with 36 sets of LEDS hooked up to to play with the music. Not great sound for that purprose, but it still makes my neighbors think I have issues.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
BTW I've read some posters have had some problems with this system (maybe due to the specs of the mp3 player used?) and saw this solution posted by DaveintheGrave: http://www.halloweenforum.com/680497-post4.html. Dave, if you're out there and read this, how did your Gemmy box work out?
Wow! That's a great price on the Gemmy Light show Box.
My only knowledge of the amplifier trick was what I read from a member of the Christmas Forum that used it to solve her sound problem. I think if you are using a decent MP3 player, you won't need the amplifier.
Ummmm...mine's still in the box! LOL I haven't decided if i'll use it for Halloween or not. I think i paid $53.00 for mine at Sam's Club. It's got the 12 plugs on it (6 on the box, then 6 on extension).
I'll use it eventually!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts