Halloween Forum banner

Gemmy Halloween 2020

21K views 173 replies 25 participants last post by  Matt12378 
#1 ·
Here's a video of some new things from Gemmy/Sunstar:

Aside from the three life sizes in the video, Gemmy offered two other life sizes new for 2020 at the Halloween and Party Expo. These included Jason Voorhees(which has been canceled), and a witch holding a spellbook.

Gemmy's returning life sizes include:
  • Jack Skellington
  • Sally
  • Pennywise
  • Beetlejuice
  • Freddy Krueger

#93 ·
Man... how low standards and expectations have fallen for Gemmy. I'm late to the party in this thread, but that Michael Myers is awful, even with a darker coverall. (Good job with Photoshop btw, sincerely) Gemmy no longer deserves brand loyalty. If they produce a decent prop, great! Until then, I'm not buying stuff from Spirit or other stores that are just the "best produced for that year", but still awful. I'd rather spend my money on Distortions props. Even their static props are light years better than Gemmy junk these days. After all, Gemmy props eventually become static props. Wouldn't you rather save for two years and buy a fantastic looking prop for $400, than to buy a piece of junk for $200? This is coming from a guy who has tons of vintage life-size Gemmy props, and they're great. Some are now static, but they're still better than what they've been making for the last 7 years give or take.

Wouldn't you prefer these to Gemmy's current offerings? They're static, but fantastic!

#94 ·
I have a lot of gemmy products and none of them was bought in the last 7 years. Except jack Skellington . He I bought last year and it showed me how much their products have changed and not for the better.
As with any business you have to nurture it ... doesn’t seem like the granddaddy of Halloween props is wanting to do that. They are looking for cheap and repetitive. I know competition is tough but for me I would rather pay more for a good product .maybe gemmy needs to ditch the box stores and offer their products on their own store front.

#95 ·
Exactly! Excellently put. I put practically an identical statement on another post. :ROFLMAO:

I think it's a shame that a company that started out with so much to offer, now seems to have so little to offer. I hope they come to their senses soon or they may well end up going past the point of no return.. If they've any hope of redeeming themselves and staying a key player in the marketplace, they need to offer originality, go back to the way they used to do things and produce original ideas, not repetitive tat.

#99 ·
I keep seeing new photos of props/inflatables on wayfair.com if anyone’s interested. The same thing happened last year too. Here’s some pictures

Attachments

#103 ·
The quality of older retail props is not returning. There's just been a seismic change over the last 15 or so years on what items like this cost to produce in China and ship. So that they come in at a price point acceptable to retail customers the quality has to be relatively low. Halloween nut jobs like me (and you, prolly) are not numerous enough to force the Gemmy's and Tekky's etc to produce items that cost more (with better quality) as they would sell so few. It's easy for us to lose sight of the fact that a $60 Halloween prop purchase is, to the vast majority of people, an insanely high amount to spend on a Halloween prop. It's not that they can't afford it, that's just not something that they are gonna buy.

#104 ·
I understand completely. One of the biggest factors is shipping the old characters, but why should Gemmy stop producing good quality items to the side? I think it would be a great opportunity to produce 1,000 remakes of the original characters and sell them at high cost. Those characters still would only cost Gemmy about $80 landed in the United States on the higher end, and they could sell them at $499.00 a piece with no problems if they are of the quality we have seen from Gemmy in the years past.

#107 ·
I remember back in 2011 when they still really listened to their fans, they brought Dr. Shivers back exclusively sold through Grandin Road. This was one of the last years they were still making the collapsing life sizes.

Since he was an exclusive I would guess that they made him in much more limited numbers than his original run from 2006-2008.

#108 ·
Four days ago on Facebook, someone had uploaded a video of a new Gemmy life size, only to quickly delete it. The life size was a remake of the life size mummy. It was pole based and had red eyes.

Also, I saw on the Gemmy Wiki something about the Wicked Witch of the West returning this year.

Does anyone have more information about these two?

#141 ·
Someone on Facebook and YouTube said that Chilling Chantel from Grandin Road is Gemmy, but removed their comment from Facebook about it. Both her hands and the bottom part of her dress look similar to the Lowe's Black Widow.

There's another life size on Grandin Road's website, Evette Witch, and it looks like her hands are the same as Chantel's and Widow's. Chantel and Evette are possibly made by the same company, and if that's case, they can't be Gemmy because Evette has a circular base as opposed to most modern Gemmy life sizes. However, on Chantel's page, it says that her torso and shoulders are molded plastic, which is a characteristic of the Black Widow. Here's a close-up of Evette and her hands:

#150 · (Edited)
Check out the Lowe’s thread every one but it looks like the skeleton couple and the werewolf are coming back so far also a couple of the same table top animatronics are also coming back. Credit goes to mr morbid btw.

Attachments

#160 ·
I love the music choice, because it is different than the others, but they should have definitely added head movement and perhaps even eye movement to make him worthwhile for the price. I would wait for this Michael Myers to go on sale, or shell out the extra money to purchase a classic Gemmy model off of eBay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.