Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not sure, but it reminds me back in 2017 when Slim Stalky(Gemmy's answer to Slender Man.)was leaked online. What I found interesting is that both he and Jack share the same hands.

Anyway, my theory is that Spirit Halloween commissioned Gemmy to make a life size Jack, dressed in his "Sandy Claws" outfit, but the pumpkin man was leaked as while the actual life size is kept under wraps. Spirit is very protective of their animatronics. If memory serves me correctly, someone in the Gemmy community was threatened with legal action by Spirit for leaking their props too early.

Back to the pumpkin man, it seems that the Nightmare Before Christmas audio was chosen at random, but I don't know.
I'm pretty sure slim stalky was turned into the Jack animatronic

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
I feel like so many of these companies just don't get it. I also think a lot of these props are more for the "normals" than a lot of us (outside of those who collect certain lines like Michael Meyers or Freddie, etc.).

They steal the ideas from people here & elsewhere & then kinda make it worse.

Though I still don't understand how do you make a licensed figure of Jack Skellington dressed as Jack not Santa & make more than 75% of the dialogue that the prop "speaks" be about Christmas. If you want him to speak Christmas dialogue dress him in the Santa suit & put him out at Christmas.

"Jack's Lament" or spoken any of the dialogue that had to do with Halloween would've been better. Or just any non-Christmas related dialogue would do.

I mean really Mass Produced Chinese Prop Compaines, you can google the script online fercrapssake!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I feel like so many of these companies just don't get it. I also think a lot of these props are more for the "normals" than a lot of us (outside of those who collect certain lines like Michael Meyers or Freddie, etc.).

They steal the ideas from people here & elsewhere & then kinda make it worse.

Though I still don't understand how do you make a licensed figure of Jack Skellington dressed as Jack not Santa & make more than 75% of the dialogue that the prop "speaks" be about Christmas. If you want him to speak Christmas dialogue dress him in the Santa suit & put him out at Christmas.

"Jack's Lament" or spoken any of the dialogue that had to do with Halloween would've been better. Or just any non-Christmas related dialogue would do.

I mean really Mass Produced Chinese Prop Compaines, you can google the script online fercrapssake!
I feel that the Gemmy community is partially to blame for the current state of things. Most people in the Gemmy community are younger, so they seem to either buy on impulse, or will buy things to receive online praise from others. Even when Gemmy's quality dips, people will still buy from them, because it's Gemmy. Essentially, it's brand loyalty, even though the quality has sunk so low.

Another thing in the Gemmy community is how outrageously overpriced things are. Currently, there's a Grave Raver online and the bid is at least $12,000, it's insane. There's this person who I can't stand. He goes around the country, buying up props and inflatables en masse, and turns around and sells them for five times the original price. He claims that he does it to, "help collectors", but he's hoarding up items and marking up the price, because he knows people are desperate enough to pay that much. He doesn't care about the collectors, he's just in it for the money. And what upsets me is that he's so smug about it.

I don't mean to off on a tangent, but it's people who hoard and price-gouge, and people who don't hold Gemmy accountable for their dip in quality, who're partially responsible for the current state of Gemmy, and it's only going to get worse.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,772 Posts
I totally understand collecting, but $12,000 for a mass-produced-in-China prop is crazy & anyone that would pay a price like that could buy several, well built, well warrantied product from a company like Dimensions that will last not only for the entire month of October but will continue to work well for years. And when it dies you can probably call them & they'll help you fix it or they'll fix it for you.

The entire community needs to boycott this person & never buy anything from them until he stops this shenanigans. Bet his garage is full of toilet paper & stupid props now.

:mad: It cheeses me off too & I'm not even a person that collects this stuff!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don’t think the pumpkin man is actually Gemmy but rather some sort of Sunstar hybrid.
Also the person selling the grave raver on eBay is a different person than the the prop selling guy.

I’ve always enjoyed Gemmy but I do realize their dip in quality (I bought one of those new floating ghosts a couple years ago but returned it because you hear the awful gear noises more than the soundtrack).

There are things they have come out with in recent years that I have liked and bought but I don’t go around buying up everything in site just because they made it. In fact I own way more of their older items than newer ones.

Anyways enjoy this meme I made

·
Registered
135 Posts
I feel that the Gemmy community is partially to blame for the current state of things. Most people in the Gemmy community are younger, so they seem to either buy on impulse, or will buy things to receive online praise from others. Even when Gemmy's quality dips, people will still buy from them, because it's Gemmy. Essentially, it's brand loyalty, even though the quality has sunk so low.

Another thing in the Gemmy community is how outrageously overpriced things are. Currently, there's a Grave Raver online and the bid is at least $12,000, it's insane. There's this person who I can't stand. He goes around the country, buying up props and inflatables en masse, and turns around and sells them for five times the original price. He claims that he does it to, "help collectors", but he's hoarding up items and marking up the price, because he knows people are desperate enough to pay that much. He doesn't care about the collectors, he's just in it for the money. And what upsets me is that he's so smug about it.

I don't mean to off on a tangent, but it's people who hoard and price-gouge, and people who don't hold Gemmy accountable for their dip in quality, who're partially responsible for the current state of Gemmy, and it's only going to get worse.
Yeah, it's really unfortunate, there's a lot of older items I want but I'll never be able to get them because of the greedy scalpers on eBay. What's even sadder is that I'll probably never see one in person either. The only way I'll get my hands on one is if Gemmy decides to bring back the older ones with the exact same quality (which will probably never happen in this decade).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, it's really unfortunate, there's a lot of older items I want but I'll never be able to get them because of the greedy scalpers on eBay. What's even sadder is that I'll probably never see one in person either. The only way I'll get my hands on one is if Gemmy decides to bring back the older ones with the exact same quality (which will probably never happen in this decade).
That's what I'm hoping for because I loved the witch from 2013-2014

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for because I loved the witch from 2013-2014
Yeah, I like their older witches, I want one but people on eBay over-price them claiming that they are "Rare" even though they were sold at every store at the time (If I would guess then I would say they probably produced around 20,000 maybe even more). Honestly, a fair price for them would be around $200-$300 depending on the condition but I don't even think you can find one on eBay for that cheap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah, I like their older witches, I want one but people on eBay over-price them claiming that they are "Rare" even though they were sold at every store at the time (If I would guess then I would say they probably produced around 20,000 maybe even more). Honestly, a fair price for them would be around $200-$300 depending on the condition but I don't even think you can find one on eBay for that cheap.
It's unfortunate the people sell these items for such a high price

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm not sure, but it reminds me back in 2017 when Slim Stalky(Gemmy's answer to Slender Man.)was leaked online. What I found interesting is that both he and Jack share the same hands.

Anyway, my theory is that Spirit Halloween commissioned Gemmy to make a life size Jack, dressed in his "Sandy Claws" outfit, but the pumpkin man was leaked as while the actual life size is kept under wraps. Spirit is very protective of their animatronics. If memory serves me correctly, someone in the Gemmy community was threatened with legal action by Spirit for leaking their props too early.

Back to the pumpkin man, it seems that the Nightmare Before Christmas audio was chosen at random, but I don't know.
I think the NBC audio is just a place-holder. He may have different audio if he even ends up being sold.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am just speculating. but I think 20,000 is way high, perhaps by an order of magnitude, but at least by 4 or 5x.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am just speculating. but I think 20,000 is way high, perhaps by an order of magnitude, but at least by 4 or 5x.
Yeah, I wasn't really sure. But I think a lot was made since she was sold on every Halloween website and at every Halloween store. I'm talking about the Cauldron Witch by the way (I should have probably stated that in my other comments).

·
Registered
395 Posts
Yeah, I wasn't really sure. But I think a lot was made since she was sold on every Halloween website and at every Halloween store. I'm talking about the Cauldron Witch by the way (I should have probably stated that in my other comments).
Plus there’s like 7 or 8 different versions of her that were sold from 2007-2013.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts