Halloween Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes they do light up Dave. They are pretty bright. That was the only plus to them I felt.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I'm back to apologize for laughing at the eyeballs. They were just... unexpectedly very funny.
You know if you could mount them on top of something way back on your property. In the dark of night. It will be a spooky effect for the kids. A big monster is back there 'looking around' for a kid to eat. That type of thing. The quick jerky movements could mimic the motion of some big creatures head as he looks around.
Please let us know what you finally do with them. I'm curious now. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm back to apologize for laughing at the eyeballs. They were just... unexpectedly very funny.
You know if you could mount them on top of something way back on your property. In the dark of night. It will be a spooky effect for the kids. A big monster is back there 'looking around' for a kid to eat. That type of thing. The quick jerky movements could mimic the motion of some big creatures head as he looks around.
Please let us know what you finally do with them. I'm curious now. :)
I don't think there's reason to apologize for laughing, those things are ridiculous! I think this forum is great for taking the worst items and making them into Halloween gold.

Another idea is if you have a wooden fence, put them behind the fence. Let people's imaginations make whatever monster they want, all they know is that it's huge and it has enormous glowing eyes that are looking around. If you don't have a fence, put it behind a pallet or some bushes.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cloe you have gotten some pretty cool ideas on the forum as to what you can do with them. I would like them if they didn't move or if they just moved a little slower. Hope you find a purpose for them that you're happy with.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Well, the movement is a bit herky-jerky, so that makes it harder in my mind to come up with a good plan. But, I did have one idea of what I might do with those eyes. I'll try to describe the vision in my head. I'm thinking about an alien/monster type of thing.

What about using a bowl or ball the same size as the eyeballs to put paper mache on and create the other half of each eyeball, so you have an eye visible from both sides. Or if you don't like that, finish off the back of the eyeballs in some way so that it looks a bit more finished.

Then, make a square box out of inexpensive plywood. Cut a large open mouth shape on the front of the plywood and insert jagged teeth (use craft foam, cardboard, clay or whatever you choose to make the teeth) on the top & bottom of the mouth. Attach legs & feet/base to the bottom of the box - maybe use pvc legs but then slide one of those silvery dryer vent coils over each pvc leg to make it look 'alien'.

Then make two holes in the top of the box to slide in the stakes of the eyeballs. You could insert them into pvc holders to make them more stable. Maybe disguise any viewable portion of the eyeball stakes to make them look more alien too. You could even create some kind of arms if you wanted, but I sort of like the idea of just a large walking mouth with eyes, KWIM?

So now you've got large rotating eyes on top of a body/face with a large open mouth with scary teeth. You could fill the box with candy & have kids reach inside to get their treats. If you wanted to make it viewable from both sides, you could cut a mouth shape on both sides of the box so that kids could reach in from any angle. You can make it comical or scary depending on how you decide to paint it or shape the mouth.

I'm not sure if the above description of my idea really does justice to the image in my head, but that's the general idea, anyway!

Thanks for sharing the video!

ETA - cruising Pinterest, I found something kinda similar to what I'm talking about. Instead of a pumpkin for the body/mouth, imagine the box I talked about above - http://www.bhg.com/halloween/pumpkin-carving/monster-pumpkins/
The one on the far right is closest to what I'm thinking.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts