Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

This might be old news to you all but I was very surprised to find out that Gemmy products have no warranty.

From my conversation with customer support:

I am sorry as the items are made overseas we do not have schematics and therefore we are unable to offer tech support.* The warranty is fulfilled through the retailer and is in accordance with their return policy.
However it does say not to return the products to the retailer but to call the gemmy 800 number.

This might be old hat to you guys but that really doesn't give me any confidence in Gemmy (that the offer no warranty).

I bought my Gemmy Jason (which has an issue) and Witch (which also has an issue) from Walmart.

they have an easy 30 day return policy but theres no warranty from Walmart (why should they provide one as they aren't the manufacturer.

sorry for my vent.

rich

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What sucks for me is I got mine from Walmart in september & didn't open the Factory sealed boxes until last week.

I wasn't concerned as I thought they had some sort of warranty & Gemmy is no help.

My jason did not come with the locking pins & gemmy won't send them to me (plus he doesn't lock but that's another issue).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I had the same conversation with Gemmy when my Frankenstein/monster stopped talking. FWIW, I've found that if you remove the bottom of the base, he talks and works properly again. Had the same problem and same solution with the crystral ball witch.

These things are great props, but cost too much to have a life of one Halloween or less. :mad:

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,070 Posts
I think most home haunters have a love/hate relationship with Gemmy.

They do some really cool looking props that would be difficult to replicate on your own.

But...

They build things pretty flimsy and charge a lot of $$$ and the quality control is non-existent so you have to be careful to test stuff the second you get home so you can return the defective stuff to the store before they run out of replacements!
:rolleyes:

·
Mistress of Darkness
1,689 Posts
I think most home haunters have a love/hate relationship with Gemmy.

They do some really cool looking props that would be difficult to replicate on your own.

But...

They build things pretty flimsy and charge a lot of $$$ and the quality control is non-existent so you have to be careful to test stuff the second you get home so you can return the defective stuff to the store before they run out of replacements!
:rolleyes:

Yep, I agree with everything said here. And I have to add, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS open a Gemmy product and try it out the day that you buy it or at the very least, within a couple of days. They are notorious for making "junk".

·
Registered
735 Posts
The fact is they make CHEAP animatronics. If you want quality its out there it just costs the big bucks. I walked by one Gemmy piece and touched it and the damn thing nearly fell apart. No kiddding. On a budget they are good for the home haunter.

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
Even with Gemmys reputation for lack of quality and inflated prices, people continue to buy their Chinese crap products.

Unless it is a persons first Gemmy purchase and they haven't heard of Gemmys reputation for shoddy products, I just can't muster up any sympathy.

When you discover that you have bought yet another broken or failing overpriced Gemmy product, you should ask yourself, "When did it become acceptable to sell a product built so poorly that the manufacturer refuses to warranty it, and why do I keep buying them?"

Rich, don't feel sorry for your rant! You have every right to be mad! The majority of Gemmy customers do!

Instead of accepting this Chinese crap, complain. Speak with store management, tell them you will not shop there because the products they sell are junk. Send emails to Gemmy, write letters (I'm old!), call them and complain. But most importantly, stop giving them your money!

A few years ago at TransWorld, I asked a Gemmy rep about the quality problems. His answer was, "It's just a decoration."
That kind of sums up their attitude.

How is buying a product that doesn't work or falls apart, good for anyone?

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
A lot of people here in the UK complain that we don't get the same range of props that are available in the US, and I can see why.

Basically here in the UK there is no such thing as selling without warranty, everything sold must by law be 'fit for purpose', and its the duty of the retailer, importer and manufacturer in that order to ensure that it meets this requirement.

In other words, Gemmy would either be forced to get their act together and produce stuff that works, or go bankrupt!

·
Registered
91 Posts
"ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS open a Gemmy product and try it out the day that you buy it or at the very least, within a couple of days."

I test every one of my Gemmy junk as soon as I get home. My problems tend to occur well after I have the unit home, i.e. during Halloween night.

That's what frustrates me. And the typical Gemmy answer is that they can't help you.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,553 Posts
Unless it is a persons first Gemmy purchase and they haven't heard of Gemmys reputation for shoddy products, I just can't muster up any sympathy.
I agree Lurks. How does that saying go... Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, and I'll beat the snot out of you. However, this.....

I test every one of my Gemmy junk as soon as I get home. My problems tend to occur well after I have the unit home, i.e. during Halloween night.
is something that happens too often with them. It works fine until you've had it for a while, and then conks out. That's when I sympathize with my fellow haunters. I learned my lesson with the original Gemmy Cauldron Witch. I didn't buy one from Lowes this year after all the trouble I had with the one I got from Sams Club two years ago. I bought it over a month early and it worked fine right out of the box. Then 15 minutes before my party, she conked out... B*TCH!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Well, Our Gemmy witch w/ cauldron made it through our party Saturday, about 7 hours continuously with no problems. Ditto our Halloween monster, Edwardian butler and moanin' mummy.
As I've mentioned before Gemmy has a 30 day warranty. When we had problems with our first Halloween monster I reported it immediately. I had to wait for a replacement, but they wre good for it, and when there were problems with the second they sent a third. Not high quality assembly, and very brittle plastic, but they have been ok for me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I bought all of my Gemmy (save Jason) pre-broken for cheap. Leatherface had a broken arm, donna the Dead works sometimes, and Zombie won't shuffle. It's cool mine stay up all year long

·
Registered
440 Posts
The only Gemmy prop i have that has broken on me was my Jason, the motor in his arm was really weak and stopped swinging his Machete, Now i'm scared about the lives of my other props!

BTW Gemmy is a company of cheap bast**** who lie to my by telling me they will replace my Jason. (They said they would get back to me next Halloween because they had to locate a new unit. BS!)

(Still waiting for a reply)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I purchased my Cauldron Witch through the direct Amazon site and waited many months to receive it. When it came I opened it right away and discovered there were problems so I packed it back up and e-mailed Gemmy. I have to say that I had great customer service from them. First they responded with a possible way to fix the problem and when that didn't work I e-mailed back that I wanted a replacement or refund. They responded quickly and sent a refund for the full amount plus the shipping, and I didn't have to send the witch back. She works somewhat, but does not move her hips. Still looks good--for free. I wouldn't buy another large animated prop though. I'll just stick to the small items.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've seen 3 Jason's in 3 different stores...all broken, no arm movement and selling for $ 99 , never been a big fan of him or the movies but his face and eye's looks pretty creepy and his detail and arm swing is nice when it works.Never did care for his sound box as well. Now the love for the witch I don't get, that god awefull laugh would drive me nuts after 5 minutes. Again her detail is excellent and she looks very nice and colorful.Oh I was at Spirit store the other day and the Gothic bride is on sale for $ 99 and she looks very good. Well my Gifted (from my pastor last year) Dead Eye Drake Pirate Skelly has worked well with plenty of hours log on him, 2 partys, 1 Halloween and a few get togethers with kids playing with him over and over. Guess I'm lucky here, his arm gear still grinds a little but thats only when I move the switch. I f I plug him in only he's fine. I would love to have Hannibal Lector for free....ha, and I am willing to pay $ 99 for him broken.....lol.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Does anyone want to start a petition for Gemmy to enforce a quality assurance check and 30 day warranty? I'll sign it!

·
Join my Doomsday cult!
963 Posts
A petition would only work if Gemmy cared about quality. They know they make crap, and they know they're making a lot of money selling it.

Besides, Gemmy doesn't have time to read a petition, they're too busy counting U.S. dollars.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts