Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't quite know how to phrase the problem. I noticed that my Gemmy Witch will perform properly when enough time is allowed between actions. In other words it will perform the whole speech/motion when I first plug it in, and if I allow enough time between setting it off...say, 2 minutes. But if it runs one time after another - say at a party with people passing by - it will only go through part of the action, then stop. It seems as if "something" in the system needs to recharge before it will go through the whole action again.
So I was wondering...could that have something to do with the transformer, rather than a problem on the board? When allowed time to "rest" between performances, it will go through the whole routine. If started to soon it will go through part of the routine...the longer the rest, the longer it will run the next time it is set off.
Anyone else experiencing these kind of issues?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller? Bueller? :)
Surprised that others haven't run into this problem. At first I was afraid that the witch was to destined to become a static prop, but finding out that it will "recharge" given enough time gave me hope.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If you're talking about the life-sized stirring witch with the cauldron: Ugh, I have one of these and it isn't working. Some bad connections somewhere, and the cauldron is stalling. Major pain in the butt to work on. I don't know what to tell you to do to fix it, I think they just have issues in the way they're made and aren't built for the long-term. Interestingly, the other haunters in town got one this year. They ditched all the witch stuff, wrapped her up in a straight jacket, and shut down the voice. She looked great as an asylum patient.

If you mean the little display one: no clue. Mine works just as good as it always has. :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Kakugori - yea, the large witch with the misting cauldron. She's worked fine until last year when she developed her problem. But the problem isn't as dire as I thought - it still works, just with the delay.
So the question comes back - is there a situation where a transformer needs to "recharge"? Or, how would I test the transformer?
Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The easiest way to check if it's the transformer is to grab a different one that is new/extra or that you know works (and matches the output) and try that. Process of elimination. Also double check the connection between the cauldron and her base - that one's iffy sometimes. But usually, I'd assume a problem with connections on the inside before I'd second guess the transformer.

For mine, the problem is the cauldron stalling, which won't let her complete her routine. I need to open up the cauldron again and figure out what's going wrong...but like I said before, it's a major pain in the butt to get into. So is her torso - everything that needs worked on is hidden by the plastic body frame. Last time I looked into it, a few of the connections looked like they weren't made so well. But then, I don't have a lot of electrical and soldering skills so I'm not the best person to ask about how to fix it from this point on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts