Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I live in the UK and just bought one of the Gemmy 5ft animated witches with fogging cauldron props (on ebay).

It works fine, but I have a question: she sways, her mouth moves when she speaks and her eyes light up, but the eyes do NOT move (as on the Edwardian butler).

Some videos online show the eyes moving, some show them static and lit up. Were there different versions? Mine has no wireless microphone for example, yet some people says theirs did?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there is definitely no mic with this one, and nothing in instructions referring to one.

Does the box say her eyes move? Mine says the head, mouth and body move, no mention of the eyes.

When I touch the eyes they seem very rigid and do not move at all - I just want to know if it is defective or whether a later version removed the moving eyes and the microphone?

Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very confusing - the box actually does say the eyes move but they definitely do not - they light up perfectly though.

Homestead Haunt - does yours have the wireless mic, or not like mine? Is it in a black box with english and spanish text?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yes, mine did come with a mic. I cant tell you about the black box right now...too difficult to get to! There is a switch on the base of mine that allows you to switch from the mic to an aux audio source.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, but you are sure both of the ones you bought have static eyes?

If that is so, I cannot believe both are faulty - Gemmy must have changed the spec?

I wonder why I have no microphone?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Both of mine are the same. The eyes flash but do not move. There is nothing in the eyes for me to believe they have ever moved. I took the witches mask off one of them and made it into a ghoul type figure so I got a good look at the eyes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. Well I set it up again last night and now the eyes DO move, albeit only a little from side to side, and only when they light up.. In daylight it is impossible to see, but in the dark they do move a little.

Definitely no microphone nor is there an AUX socket on the base.

Strange - much be multiple versions floating around.

So what do Gemmy have Halloween wise for 2009?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Thanks, but you are sure both of the ones you bought have static eyes?

If that is so, I cannot believe both are faulty - Gemmy must have changed the spec?

I wonder why I have no microphone?
On the base or your witch, does it say mic and audio? There is a switch that says ON/SENSOR/MIC/AUX. If it has that then you should have a microphone. You should also have a cable for the audio too.

I got a dancing snowman without a microphone when it was suppose to, I just emailed the seller and she sent it to me.

I don't know of any of the Gemmy Witch that did not have her eyes move.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Im also in the UK and own one of these witches. . Mine has a microphone with it and again her eyes were a little temperamental. I tried all sorts even down to changing the power supplies to regulated adaptors. This seems to have worked but every now and then the eyes will stop working and then kick start again. I think it must have something to do with the US 60Hz to UK 50Hz. Anyway Im no electrician just a possible explanation - Either way she is a great prop Good Purchase :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all.

Definitely no microphone option, just ON/SENSOR.

There is a "try me" port/button on the base but not sure how to use it?

Dazzer, what do you mean by regulated adaptors? You replaced the two supplied adaptors? Where did you get them?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi, Regulated adaptor means the Voltage will stay constant at the desired level(at least while the supply is operating within its specification) irrespective of the load. Unregulated supplies (the cheaper voltage adaptors) tend to have higher outputs than stated and are normally used with equipment that has it's own internal regulation circuitry.
I had them knocking around & they both matched the VA rating & thought Ill give this a go! Abit of rewiring later the witch was singing, dancing, eyes lighting up & moving, mouth & head moving & cauldron working but like I said eyes still a bit temperamental. I think it might have something to do with the varying HZ. Hope this helps but like I said earlier Im no electrician.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Lowes has the newer version as well as a few online dealers. The newer version does not come with mic input, and the witche's clothes and cauldron are slightly different. The newer witch doesn't have the regal "purple-n-feathers" look. The 09 witch has a slightly smaller cauldron and her clothes are somekind of green spider print. Her hat doesn't have fabric feathers and the witche's mouth doesn't move as much as the older version. I suspect this model is unhackable! Overall the newer model has less detail.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So - you guys that have the non mic version - the eyes definitely do NOT move, but just light up when she speaks?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts