Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have just purchased an old Gemmy Lifesize Santa, it’s a 2002 model with’Santa Clause Is Coming To Town’ and I just have a couple of questions about it :)

1. Would it be possible for someone to send in a manual for the old Gemmy lifesize santas, I can only find the new Santa manuals on Google.

2. The easiest way to repair the head turning, I think it might just be a belt issue. I’m just scared to open it up.

3. The speed dial needs turned down as he dances a little out of control. I believe it’s in the right boot?

4. The DV 9V port is a little loose and you have to wiggle the cable to get it to work properly. Think it might be the port itself.

5. Best way to clean the white fur and red parts of his coat. He’s a little musty smelling from the previous owner.

Thanks for any help I receive!

-Chin
y

·
Registered
234 Posts
1. Would it be possible for someone to send in a manual for the old Gemmy lifesize santas, I can only find the new Santa manuals on Google.
The assembly is fairly simply, and it appears based on the photo you have already figured it out. I recommend using the Wayback Machine and enter "www.gemmy.com" to try and locate the product page of your Santa.

2. The easiest way to repair the head turning, I think it might just be a belt issue. I’m just scared to open it up.
Typically, the head turn falters due to a split gear on the motor shaft. In addition, the process to access the gearbox is not very complex and I can send you a walkthrough video if you would like. I also carry many replacement parts for the head turning mechanism which I can provide to you.

3. The speed dial needs turned down as he dances a little out of control. I believe it’s in the right boot?
Yes, the speed dial is under the right (Santa's left) boot. Carefully use a small flat head screw drive to make adjustments.

4. The DV 9V port is a little loose and you have to wiggle the cable to get it to work properly. Think it might be the port itself.
Yes, that may have to do with the port. I wouldn't worry about replacing it unless it goes completely bad. I do have spares available if desired.

5. Best way to clean the white fur and red parts of his coat. He’s a little musty smelling from the previous owner.
Use Febreze fabric refreshener and soap and water on a rag or paper towel to to clean the clothing. I do not advise you to wash or dry it by machine.

If you have any further questions, or would like to request parts/tutorial videos, please send me a message. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fantastic, thank you for the tips! I wouldn’t mind a tutorial video for the head turning please.

Also (on this model anyway), the trousers at the boot are held on by zip ties, all I do is cut it to gain access to the speed dial? And do o really need to replace the tie, other than for cosmetic reasons?

-Chin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also here’s a photo of the DC port. Looks as if there’s a piece to the left broken away. Could be a case of someone tripping over the cable years ago and yanking it out?

C9B3E7A5-7A6C-4385-82C2-D06F88A4E5E5.jpeg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I should add to (sorry for the spam), he doesn't lock into the down position. He did not come with locking pins but I know he should at least stay down without them. Is there any easy fix for that or is it something too complicated?

-Chin

·
Registered
234 Posts
Also, I should add to (sorry for the spam), he doesn't lock into the down position. He did not come with locking pins but I know he should at least stay down without them. Is there any easy fix for that or is it something too complicated?

-Chin
I've got a pair of spare locking pins if you wanted to try those, but you are correct in that he should typically stay in the down position without them. I recommend really shoving down on the shoulders as non-ideal it may sound. Some of them really require a firm push to drop down. Also check for a large button on the back of the base.

By the way, the zip-tie isn't essential, but I recommend replacing it in the event the pant leg starts to raise and lower with every movement.

Your DC port looks fine, but you may want to clean it to ensure the contacts of your adapter are being hit properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a pair of spare locking pins if you wanted to try those, but you are correct in that he should typically stay in the down position without them. I recommend really shoving down on the shoulders as non-ideal it may sound. Some of them really require a firm push to drop down. Also check for a large button on the back of the base.

By the way, the zip-tie isn't essential, but I recommend replacing it in the event the pant leg starts to raise and lower with every movement.

Your DC port looks fine, but you may want to clean it to ensure the contacts of your adapter are being hit properly.
Eh, I've tried pushing down on the shoulders a bit more and I'm just a bit scared to put any more weight on it, I can't see a button anywhere for it either. What should I clean it the DC port with, just a que-tip with alcohol or just give it a wipe with a dry cloth?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

-Chin

·
Registered
234 Posts
Eh, I've tried pushing down on the shoulders a bit more and I'm just a bit scared to put any more weight on it, I can't see a button anywhere for it either. What should I clean it the DC port with, just a que-tip with alcohol or just give it a wipe with a dry cloth?

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

-Chin
A que tip with alcohol is your best bet, but dry it with a dry cloth shortly after. In addition, do not operate the unit for about an hour after doing so to ensure you do not short the unit's circuitry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok cheers, should I do the same with the cable jack itself? I think it looks fine, just to give you an idea of what's happening. When you first plug it in, you can hear a popping noise from the speaker and if you wiggle it around it makes more popping noises and some static. So, maybe if the contact cleaning doesn't fix it, maybe I could just tape it or put something to hold it in place?

-Chin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Ok an update! I got the speed dial turned down as seen in the photo, it was nearly all the way up! Although it’s definitely slower, it’s not a whole lot slower and the trouser leg doesn't seem to go up his leg, so I'll just leave it un-done just in case. And I got the DC port cleaned and that appears to have solved the issue, quite a lot of dirt and dust bunnies had built up over the years, surprised it worked at all to be honest.

Also, again, the Santa seems to be quite wobbly when it’s swinging, maybe that’s just the way it’s designed since after all it’s an early, experimental model.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Happy to see the progress come along! All that you'll need to do to fully-restore your Santa is to replace the split gear in the head turning mechanism. I have tutorial video links on the head turning repair which I can provide to you with the purchase of an Animatronic Repair Starter Kit. The kit includes the gear you need to replace, plus many other gears and rubber belts which you can keep in your toolbox if they are needed down the line. International shipping is available on the kit, and you can find it on my website here: Animatronic Repair Starter Kit

If you already have the kit or needed gears, or if you have any further questions, just let me know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for you help, I might consider purchasing that kit just to have as I've searched for gears and such before with no luck. What's your opinion about the swaying issue?

-Chin

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for you help, I might consider purchasing that kit just to have as I've searched for gears and such before with no luck. What's your opinion about the swaying issue?

-Chin
I am looking forward to doing business with you soon! As for the Santa, it is an early model, so the swaying is likely normal. Most models do sway, although not that much. I would have a look at all of the screws securing the chest-plate to the shoulder bracket once you've opened the Santa to replace the head gear to see if there is a piece that is out of place somewhere which may need to be realigned. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just purchased the kit, any chance for the tutorial videos? I'll not do the repairs immediately but hope to do so soon. Also, as I asked above, what do you think about the speed dial thing, I put it back but he doesn't seem to be much slower, unless there isn't the dramatic speed difference I was expecting?

-Chin

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just purchased the kit, any chance for the tutorial videos? I'll not do the repairs immediately but hope to do so soon. Also, as I asked above, what do you think about the speed dial thing, I put it back but he doesn't seem to be much slower, unless there isn't the dramatic speed difference I was expecting?

-Chin
I'll send you a message now with the details needed for repair. Thank you for doing business.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Umm, I'm not sure what's just happened but whilst it was playing there was a loud click and the body started to move around loosely. I've just kind of got it sitting where it should be, I guess something is really loose as when I move it around, it sounds like springs? I hope this is an easy fix? :(

-Chin

·
Registered
234 Posts
Umm, I'm not sure what's just happened but whilst it was playing there was a loud click and the body started to move around loosely. I've just kind of got it sitting where it should be, I guess something is really loose as when I move it around, it sounds like springs? I hope this is an easy fix? :(

-Chin
One of the springs likely got bent out of place. You're going to want to look at that while you have him opened up for the head turning repair. Take photos once you've done so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One of the springs likely got bent out of place. You're going to want to look at that while you have him opened up for the head turning repair. Take photos once you've done so.
hmm ok, will that be a easy fix do you think. Will it require new spring parts or anything. I guess this explains the unsteadiness of him when swinging.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts