Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay huge question.
i went to make up school like 3 years ago and i havent done any special effects in a while and need a little help.

i have molded a couple peices of gelatin prosthetic peices and i know that you can blend edges down to your skin with a spatula when it's hot. but what about when it's a cold mold. i obviously can't reheat it because it will lose it's shape. i think i remember something about sticking it to the skin with a pros aide or spirit gum and then taking a q-tip to the edges with maybe some acetone or alcohol or something? it basically dissolves and melts the edges without heating it up and losing it's shape. ring a bell to anyone?

pleaaaase help! i have the party tomorrow night and this has so much potential to look absolutely amazing! thaks guys! :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Try sticking it to your actor (or yourself) with either spirit gum or latex, then blending out the edges with a brush and some witch hazel. Thinner edges will have a better effect, but even with thicker edges and good makeup work, you should have a decent result.

·
Registered
238 Posts
You probably COULD, but in my limited experience with gelatin, you run the risk of it cooling too quickly and just building up, instead of blending down. So then you do it again, and the same thing happens...and before you know what happened, your costume has gone from "Guy with the gross scar on his forehead" to "Guy who isn't allowed in anyone's car" because you're covered from head to toe in Jell-O.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for the ideas! witch hazel did work.... i never thought about adding gelatin to blend out the edges though. good thought. building up- either im not good at it or it just doesnt work as well LOL but thanks to all!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts