Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
When I saw the title I thought "no, not the kind of gas pumps I'm thinking of", but clicked to find out they were! OMG those look absolutely fantastic TWISTEDUK! I have a zombie town theme planned and when I bought a BP Oil Spill Costume from BuyCostumes I was thinking it would be fun to add a gas station but was thinking maybe it should just be a repair shop since I had no idea how to make a realistic pump. I need you! Any chance you could put together a tutorial thread showing how you approached this? Love to see pics of progress along the way if you had the forethought to take them, as well as any tips on materials to use. Love it!

TWISTEDUK, did you make anything else for them for this part of the theme? Curious if you knew what else they had planned for the station area of their maze.

BTW for anyone also inspired by this, if you have a HobbyLobby in your area, they have a whole Men's metal decor section that has rusty looking gasoline station signs, half (vertical) cans of various companies' oil cans, etc. Just need a vintage pinup calendar to go on the station wall. They are kind of pricy for a halloween decor item, but the 40% off one item (daily) coupon helps, and if you plan it out far enough in advance HL also periodically runs 50% off on their decor sections including the Men's Metal decor. Best time to buy and don't have to come back each day to use a coupon. Sales usually run throughout the week. Some areas of the country are lucky enough to have used signage like this sold in various places or flea markets. HobbyLobby is a decent source otherwise.

I also contemplated using our car as part of the zombie town gas station display and thought it would be cool to have a mechanic zombie on one of those sliding undercar wheeled platforms (wish I could think of what they are called) triggered to pop out from underneath our car and become a scare. We have one of those storage box moving dollies (rectangular wood frame with wheels on the bottom) that I thought could be used.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your great comments, didn't think that any-one would have been interested in them. They are made from reclaimed wood, clear perspex, I designed printed sheets and glue them to plastic for the sign and readouts. The only thing i never made was the gas nozzles, I got them off ebay (very Cheep).
Its the first project, I have done for this haunt, so I don't know what else there doing in the maze, If I find out i will post it here. They brought the pigman mannequin
I made and some doll and they were happy with them so they asked me to make these. Hopefully these will get me some more work from them:)
I didn't take any pic of start of the build apart for this one.
1st.jpg
I will try and do tutorial as soon as i can.
any question? please ask :)

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
I love your work in general TWISTEDUK. Do you have photos of the labels for a close up view we could see? I was wondering where the Frightgo and Doctor Frights names came from. What method did you use to dirty up the displays?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The name Doctor Frights is the name of the haunt i built them for, and frightco was based on the Texaco logo. Tried to make them look real by coping style that are already in bedded in garage culture (if that the right wording:eek:)
frightco.jpg
last.jpg
I Like the last chance Garage sign so i just changed it to Your last chace and add the haunts name.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL better late than never as they say.
Just start to glow slowly in their numbers, but there on the rise. Dr Fright is on a farm and has 4 maze with actor and props, It's been going 7 year, but this is the first year I'm building stuff for them. I also build for a place that put on Halloween Dinner/Dance with a small scare with actors, they have been going for ten years.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
.I also contemplated using our car as part of the zombie town gas station display and thought it would be cool to have a mechanic zombie on one of those sliding undercar wheeled platforms (wish I could think of what they are called) triggered to pop out from underneath our car and become a scare. We have one of those storage box moving dollies (rectangular wood frame with wheels on the bottom) that I thought could be used.
GOS, they are called creepers! LOL. Great job on the gas pumps TWISTEDUK!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts