Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I created my first gargoyle (based on the tutorial posted at Stalloween) - I'm building five more this year, and thought I'd share. My first one is completely done, second will be finished tomorrow, and three more in the works. They stand about 19-20 inches tall, and have a wingspan of around 22-23 inches.

They are constructed of almost all re-purposed materials - pizza boxes, pop bottles, paper mache and paper mache clay.

Please be kind - the last sculpting I did before these was a unicorn head in 6th grade LOL :)

Gargoyle #1 - 2013 (finished):
1.jpg

2.jpg

Gargoyle #2 - 2014 (finished):
1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

9.jpg

Gargoyle #3 - 2014 (in progress - final paint tomorrow!!):
8.jpg

9.jpg

Gargoyle #4 - 2014 (in progress):
7.jpg

8.jpg

Gargoyle #5 - 2014 (in progress):
1932444_10203538249314388_7275284456037099106_n.jpg

10689791_10203538248554369_1064984802452575620_n.jpg

I've posted pics of them in the various construction phases, as well as some of the other props I've built in the past. These are a LOT of work...but I'm having a blast with them!

·
Registered
95 Posts
as Stan said, be kind? those things are awesome!! great talent and you can tell that you learned things as you made each one because they keep getting better and better!! can't wait to see more of your work!

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Last year I created my first gargoyle (based on the tutorial posted at Stalloween) - I'm building five more this year, and thought I'd share. My first one is completely done, second will be finished tomorrow, and three more in the works. They stand about 19-20 inches tall, and have a wingspan of around 22-23 inches.

They are constructed of almost all re-purposed materials - pizza boxes, pop bottles, paper mache and paper mache clay.

Please be kind - the last sculpting I did before these was a unicorn head in 6th grade LOL :)

Gargoyle #1 - 2013 (finished):
View attachment 222539

View attachment 222540

Gargoyle #2 - 2014 (finished):
View attachment 222541

View attachment 222542

View attachment 222543

View attachment 222544

View attachment 222545

Gargoyle #3 - 2014 (in progress - final paint tomorrow!!):
View attachment 222546

View attachment 222547

Gargoyle #4 - 2014 (in progress):
View attachment 222548

View attachment 222549

Gargoyle #5 - 2014 (in progress):
View attachment 222550

View attachment 222551

I've posted pics of them in the various construction phases, as well as some of the other props I've built in the past. These are a LOT of work...but I'm having a blast with them!
You must have received top scores in 6th grade then....these area awesome!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow...thank you!! My friends/family like them, but I wanted to post them here and get some impartial opinions :)

I started making these this year with the idea of possibly selling them on Etsy. I have this whole PTSD/Anxiety Disorder thing, so I don't contribute much (ok, nothing) to the household income. It's hard watching my husband working his tail off all the time to keep everything up and running, and I feel like a burden. I was going to file for disability - but I don't feel like I'm disabled! I can do things...but not reliably work outside the home. I'd rather those funds be used for those who have more challenges than I do.

Unfortunately now that I'm this far into making them, I've realized that 1) I have no idea what a fair price would be/how much I could get for them and 2) I want to see them in my own haunt this year!

We'll see what happens. One thing I know is that creating these gargoyles is the most therapeutic thing I've ever done. Better than a Xanax for anxiety, by far. The way I look at it, worst case scenario I chill out playing in the clay and end up with a bunch of kick-*** monsters in my graveyard this year.

Thanks everybody for the encouragement...you all made me feel so good! :D

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Whoa! Where'd you come from!?! I was just checking out the rest of your photos. You're...prolific! You must be working waaaay into the wee hours.

Really love the texturing on the gargoyles.

Not sure what you'd price them for... if you can find the right audience I'm sure you could charge a fair bit - they really are beautifully done.

I wonder if you should put one out on display with a few business cards - maybe you can get some custom work - might be able to charge a bit more for that (but there's the question of how much again).

Anyway, welcome to the forums! You've got a great spirit - it's good to have you here. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
These are great. I really enjoy the contrast between them all - but there are some common style elements that help them fit together, too.

I know nothing about selling online, but it seems like the overall costs are low to list things on places like Etsy or Ebay. I do know that having really good photography of what you are selling is important - which you've mostly got going here, but if you were selling them I'd suggest you spice up the photo by using a nice table or cloth underneath. And you'll need to be sure you can ship them without having them fall apart.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
You do wonderful work!
I think GobbyGruesome has an excellent idea about putting out some cards in your display area. You can get some cards printed up pretty cheaply.
Also, do you have a local art center that features commissioned work from local artists? It might be something to look into. If you do, they could probably give you pricing advice, too.
Best of luck-- you've already got the skill!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whoa! Where'd you come from!?! I was just checking out the rest of your photos. You're...prolific! You must be working waaaay into the wee hours.

Really love the texturing on the gargoyles.

Not sure what you'd price them for... if you can find the right audience I'm sure you could charge a fair bit - they really are beautifully done.

I wonder if you should put one out on display with a few business cards - maybe you can get some custom work - might be able to charge a bit more for that (but there's the question of how much again).

Anyway, welcome to the forums! You've got a great spirit - it's good to have you here. :)
Thank you! I am always working into the wee hours :)

The card idea is great, I think I'll do that. Since I'll have five gargoyles (and I'm not selling my first one) I should have a nice showcase - maybe I'll get lucky.

I think I'm just going to throw a couple of them up on Etsy for $500 and see what happens. It just feels so weird asking for that kind of money for something I made...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts