Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, first time caller... luv the site!

I've made this sign for my garage haunt and liked the idea of lighting the cut out letters at the bottom. I was going to hang it above the garage door but not sure how to put a light behind it that wouldn't just light up part of the letters (or too strong to not really read). Any ideas?

sign.jpg

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm thinking something like one of those short blacklights that they sell around Halloween but with a regular bulb. Not even sure there is such a thing. I'll have to look and see what I can find.

You will probably need to build a box or at least a frame around the back of the sign to keep the light from shining out from under it. And a piece of colored plastic attached to the back of the sign would not only help it look better but would probably help diffuse the light.

Great sign, since I didn't already mention it!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Agreed that you'll want to build a small box around at least the part you want to light up. Take a look at the strings of LED lights in the stores now - there may be something that's orange you can put behind all the letters. Use LED lights so they won't heat up and melt anything.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You could go with a small florescent light, and put some wax paper behind the cut out letters to help diffuse the light a bit. The tube light will be cooler to operate, too.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Now that I think about it, I wonder why they don't make different bulbs for the short blacklight fixtures. Seems like there might be a market there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts