Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Been working on using a garage door opener to move one of my 3 axis skulls.

Im building a house facade with a front porch and I want to have the front door open and one of my skulls come out and do its little bit. So a screw opener seemed like the best solution.

The only problem was I needed to mount a 3 foot skelli on top and the track itself was very flimsy. So I added a track to both sides for a little more support.

I only need the track to move back and forth enough for it to clear a 32-inch opening door so i am only using two of the three track sections.

Works pretty well, shakes a little more than id like when it stops but good enough.

Heres some photos and quick clips.

Its not painted yet, and please excuse the welds (im not a welder).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Such a cool idea! Two questions:
How are you planning on triggering/controlling the opener?
How will you keep the opener from overheating when used that often?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning on using it in a vsa routine trigger by a relay via DMX and the routine won't play but every 15 mins or so. So it won't be too often but I'm also going to put a fan next to the motor to keep it cool.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
What an ingenious idea!! That's going to be so cool. Can't wait to see the final version in the door of your facade!

MsM

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'd be interested to see how you wire the opener to be triggered via DMX. I've tried using relays before, but just can't seem to get them to work. And I'm always interested in using DMX to control props. If you can get all that worked out (which it sounds like you have), that's gonna be one cool prop!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Cool I had talked with someone last year on using a Garage Door Opener and had posted a design.
Great job.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So Heres a few shots of the track in use with my door opener. The 3 axis skull will come out on to the porch of my haunted house facade and speak his routine. Let me know what you think?

The facade is set up on the side of my house and theres not much room, ie the camera angles

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Man that's great! He aint gonna be talkng to that wall is he? lol
Be sure to get some more good videos during your haunt!

MsM

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My show only ran 4-5 times an hour so it wasn't constant use.
I did remove all the plastic housing and had a small fan blowing on it all night just in case.
With all that I had no problems.

The hardest part was digging the 6 foot by 2 foot hole 10 inches deep. That was alot of earth !

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,487 Posts
VERY cool!! I would never be able to figure something like this out... :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts