Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a rambler with a three stall garage. This means I have a ton of garage and garage door visible. In the past, I've tried the picture and laser projectors, but am not thrilled with how they looked. Last year, I put a projector in the third stall, used a curtain, and projecte the Boo Crew vids with audio. It worked fantastic, and I will do it again.

My theme is always kid friendly and I include a lot of Ghostbusters!

I am still a bit stuck on what do do with the two stall garage door, or the area above it. I'd love to hear some ideas that will work in Minnesota, where it can be cold and wet in October.

It will be too hard to do a projector in that area as we will use it way more than the third stall, where I could leave the scrim up. I was a bit lazy and didn't put any string lights anywhere last year. I could easily do that this year. I still feel like the garage is a bit of wasted space, though.

Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
You could maybe try some re-usable contact paper (it's supposed to peel off without damage to surfaces) and maybe make some silhouettes of trees, or bats, witches or what have you. Or maybe you can find some pre-made vinyl clings to stick onto your door.

Here is a site with an example of some peel and stick murals, wallpaper and decals that maybe you can use to decorate up your door with. They won't interfere with the opening and closing of your door and should come right off when you the season is over.

Amazon also has these wall decals.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea!

I could do like a Stay Puft face. I think I know someone with a vinyl cutting machine that could do something like that.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I had a couple of ideas, but the Stay Puft face is better than any of them. So do that. I want to see it when it's done.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to decorate the inside of a garage so I have a small feeling of what you're going through. I used a room wrap (40ft long, 4ft tall) of a easy to repeat decoration (bats, spiders, stone wall, etc) and with a little tape, I was easily able to cover the inside of a two car garage from front to back, and nearly top to bottom.

·
Registered
355 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Open the door and turn the front part of your garage into a haunted room of some sort.

Or what if you left it open just a few inches with smoke and light pouring out and shadows moving behind it with banging and loud noises like there was a creature(s) in there trying to get out?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So....

I ended up ordering another projector that was on sale on Amazon in anticipation to do the singing pumpkins, but then I saw some videos of people front projecting on their garage doors. I am curious if anyone has done as such and how they hid the projector?

Our street does not have a sidewalk, so we will have 200 people walking across our driveway. While it might look cool, I am anticipating it won't be very safe to have a projector on the driveway.

I am working with my sister-in-law on figuring out a Stay Puft Face.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put my (2) garage doors up. Built (2) 9’x8’ screens with double 6 mil poly. Place the frame/screen in place and use a projector from the inside to do a rear projection of AtmosFX.

·
Registered
868 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put my (2) garage doors up. Built (2) 9’x8’ screens with double 6 mil poly. Place the frame/screen in place and use a projector from the inside to do a rear projection of AtmosFX.
Would this work? https://www.amazon.com/TRM-Manufacturing-61025C-Weatherall-Translucent/dp/B00KOOF5W0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=YOFT72Y0E1BR&keywords=6mil+plastic+sheeting&qid=1569326866&sprefix=6mil,lawngarden,217&sr=8-5

I was going to order an extra wide shower curtain, but realized that it wouldn't fit the whole door. This is about the same cost, and I could build a frame and use two layers of this. Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Would this work? https://www.amazon.com/TRM-Manufacturing-61025C-Weatherall-Translucent/dp/B00KOOF5W0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=YOFT72Y0E1BR&keywords=6mil+plastic+sheeting&qid=1569326866&sprefix=6mil,lawngarden,217&sr=8-5

I was going to order an extra wide shower curtain, but realized that it wouldn't fit the whole door. This is about the same cost, and I could build a frame and use two layers of this. Thanks!
Yes. That is what I used. I did do a double layer effectively making it 12 mil thick.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Plywood, white vinyl shower curtains with a layer of black chiffon in front of them. Rear projecting from the far end of the garage. The chiffon completely hides the vinyl and blacks out the viewing area during daylight but still lets the projections show through at night.

I park my cars down the street, rig all this up Halloween morning and break it down that night or first thing next morning. Just a few screws and some duct tape, not at all difficult.

P.S.
cmerli, I agree with chubstuff, that's excellent work on the mausoleum!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the purple one of these...https://www.amazon.com/Hanging-Spider-Projection-Halloween-Inflatable/dp/B01LX5JCBT...super cheap at Target at the end of last year.

Do you think I could get that set up above the two stalls? I could run a long cord to the outlet on the third stall side. I must worry about it being secure. It would look super cool.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
524 Posts
Early on I did a movie projection directly onto the door, it was white and I used the classic 1931 Dracula. Unfortunately, until it got dark enough, it did not show up. The past few years I opened the garage and turned the front half into my mad-scientist lab. This is also a great place to sit and hand out candy. Keeps you and the TOTs under cover, we tend to have cold & rainy Halloweens. I did try putting a Scene setter onto the door one year, but getting it attached, in a temporary fashion, and allowing for the movement, bending of the door was very troublesome and I gave up on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts