Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some progress photos for my first build! I have always been huge into Halloween but until recently I mostly made costumes. Last year I created a haunted mansion in my basement and I have been hooked on prop building since (I don’t have great photos of the basement but might try to post something later).

This year I am beginning to work on the outside of my house! First project is a dungeon/castle/prison facade that will go across my garage. I am working on making this so that my wife’s car can still move in and out of the garage.

I plan to light up from behind the wall and have some skeletons behind the bars.

I am so excited to continue working on this and add other items eventually down the road. My goal is to have this finished so I can put it up next week and have a couple weeks of it on display before Halloween day.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Those pics are great, Haunted Clog! And welcome! I, like you, have really delved into the prop-building aspect of this season just this year, though I'ved loved the notion of it since childhood. I guess when the tools and the time collide with a spark of inspiration, you get really amazing results! Let's see some basement pics; is your basement a year-round set up? I know mine will be!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:

Thanks Edmund K! Here are some pics of the basement, unfortunately this is all I have, and the finished product was so much better and included many more elements. It also was only a temporary thing, most of it was built out of thick cardboard I found from a local company for free (almost everything was scrap material I found/collected)

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just discovered the awesome possibilities available to me with pallet wood (read: free!). My wife is a forgiving soul, but I'm trying not to push the limits of her mercy upon my gathering number of spooky props! I, too, have a basement "lair" that I can store this stuff (read: display for my own amusement!), so I always promise to put it all away until next August--er, October.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I have almost completed the two side panels. Most of the paint is finished, just need to get the bars painted. Here are some more photos updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Photo Updates - With lights

Another update on the photos, I played around with some lighting last night. I purchased these LED flood lights from amazon and they seem to work great. I love that they can be controlled with a remote and have many different colors and settings. I hope to have the entire display up this weekend!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
The white light really shows all the detail of your work! Is there a chance to put a red light behind the set piece for some moody back-lighting/extra depth?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on playing with the lighting more once it’s finally in place, currently it’s just leaning against some shelves in my garage. I do plan to try and backlight with a different color then whatever is on display in the front. This is the first time I have really played with the lighting on stuff so I am just learning and figuring it out as I go.

Thanks for the ideas Edmund K!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I plan on playing with the lighting more once it’s finally in place, currently it’s just leaning against some shelves in my garage. I do plan to try and backlight with a different color then whatever is on display in the front. This is the first time I have really played with the lighting on stuff so I am just learning and figuring it out as I go.

Thanks for the ideas Edmund K!!
I'm happy to help; I've spent the last two nights in my front yard moving lights around, and stumbled on some effects that looked really good! Definitely experiment with the lights and don't disregard any "combo" without trying it first! I got totally lucky by setting a purple light in my foyer, and the light glowed through the windows to give a nice contrast to all the re/orange I had outside! The fun is really in the experimenting! Keep posting your pics, it really looks top notch!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts