Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man...I tell YOU!

I L-O-V-E HALLOWEEN! I Love the SMELL of Halloween. I love the decorations. I love the music. I love the HORROR. I love the LOR. I love my ZOMBIES. I love my COSTUMES. I LOVE IT. I L_O_V_E IT! If I could live in a haunted gothic castle I would.

I have to fight my family every year to drag out the zombies, tombstones, and decorations and hang the lights and put them where I want them. It is such a hassle I didn't even do it last year!

The other day I was on the hunt for supplies to buy all the stuff I needed to make those awesome PVC candles and every step of the way my husband kept adding the cost up and reminding me how much we were at now....OK ALREADY! SO WHAT IF THEY COST ME $150 bucks! I WANT THEM! I HAD THE MONEY FOR THEM! I am by no means RICH ( as a matter of fact I am poor but we manage)....

but DAMN!!! I started calling him a FUN-SUCKER! Sucking all my fun away!!

Does anyone else have one of these in their house? A fun sucker??? My kids (ages 16, 14 and 5) love it once all the work is done...but they moan the whole time they have to help set it up! I did all the darn zombie building! I did all the LOR sequencing!

I just want someone to enjoy the process with me...appreciate the thrill of the naked pvc becoming an antique haunted candle...

dang it.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
You are amongst like minded souls here...

Share your progress with us and we will share in your enthusiasm....

F

·
0 Posts
Yup

My husband forces himself to participate, as Halloween is the only time of year I go crazy, and I refuse Christmas presents each year as long as I can spend some bucks for Halloween.( We r poor too)
My kids are 15, 13, and 12, and they like looking at my display. Looking. They like to watch me struggle as I move everything around.
My 15 year old daughter says she hates Halloween. I even bought her a 50 dollar dorothy costume and she gets snippy about Halloween night.
Just try to enjoy yourself! I get down sometime b/c I feel like the lone Halloween weirdo...that's why I come here!

·
CANNIBAL
2,597 Posts
Not so much fun-suckers but they are not as enthusiastic as I am and if I said next year let's just put out a pumpkin and nothing else they really wouldn't care. When I start talking about Halloween and what I want to do in like July or August I just get a blank stare or they tell me I am focusing on something that's too far away to worry about...lol I get it though, my husband loves knives and watches and I don't get spending the money on those things but it isn't for me to "get" it makes him happy and that's all that matters. Wish they felt the same way about my love for Halloween.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They like to watch me struggle as I move everything around.
LMAO >>> This is my children (and my husband)....bless their evil funsucking hearts....

They are lucky that I let them put up red and white lights on the house and leave them up thru Thanksgiving so we do not have to put them back up for our Xmas LOR show....we just put away the Zombies and bring out the Santas and Elves....

I am going to post pictures and videos on here this year so that all my work can be appreciated. CAN YOU BELIEVE that NOT EVEN ONE PIECE IF DECORATION HAS BEEN PLACED IN MY YARD YET???

I asked my husband to start gluing my PVC candles into bunches today (he is still sitting in front of the TV as I type this so we will see what happens)...I will take pictures of my candles as they progress if they ever get started...

Thanks everyone....I am going to adopt you all as my new haunted family!!

:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
I also feel your pain, I spent all day today emptying the garage and putting grommets in plastic sheeting to hang up for a maze in my garage and made my 15 and 17 year olds help move very little as the garage was already mostly empty, but you talk about "icking my wow", you would have thougt I asked them to pick up dog poo with their tongues. Now my husband, God love him, set aside time thursday night so we could work on stringing lights around out front, and since he works out of town, and is gone up to 10 days at a time and home for four, he took almost the full two weeks before Halloween and the day after off so he'd be here to make sure finishing touches are done.

·
crossfit zombie
7,559 Posts
Not here my family is very supportive.My sister decorates to.And my hubby is just awesome.He built me my own room for storage and to work out of-he helps me set things up and tear down-he trys to find materials he knows I would like to have-he fixes the cheap made props that break and make them run better than before-he is who I run all my ideas by to see if they are possible-the one who get's me my supplies for what I want to build-I had mentioned I would like to have a digital camcorder to record my haunt this year he took money out of his fund(works on cars on the side-power plant day job)and bought me one as a surprise.The rest of my family come out to take pictures and attend the party.My 17 year old son is also supportive.

·
Halloween Bad Girl
1,029 Posts
I am in the same boat with you. I need spray paint, I mean 1.00 spray paint and when we go to walmart I grab a can. As I am putting it into the buggy, I get a loud sigh, like another dollar down the drain.

Geez I work my tail off, pay all the bills, and I want a freaking can of spray paint.

I don't even try to explain when I actually spend some money, he would have a coronary.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
I usually get the same thing!!

But last night, hubby actually helped me finish my FCG and hang it up and everything!! :D I was shocked and thankful!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't have any funsuckers around, but once in a while, we look at all of our stuff and think, "Damn, think of what we could have used that money for". Then the big day rolls around, and we get everyrthing set up, and that makes it all worthwhile! I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, my candles were finally glued into groups. I am going to photograph the progress as I go today. I am going to insert the guts and put the hot glue on today. My husband has no "art talents" so I do not expect him to do any of the craft part of it but I just want some ONE to be excited or interested in it...I am hoping I can get the kids to get the zombies out of the attic today...

:)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can say that I am surprise and VERY HAPPY TO FIND OTHER WOMEN on here suffering the same problem I am :)

I thought I was the only haunted soul that loved Halloween without the support of her family....and I honestly thought most of the people who were into this were men....I am so happy to find like minded ladies! YAY!!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Not necessarily any funsuckers in the family as my hubby is OK with whatever I want to do. We'd like to host a big Halloween party next year, but we too are financially challenged (sounds a little better than dirt-poor).

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday I guess in part because I'm a horror nut, I love the ability to assume another identy at least one night a year and because my birthday is a week before. From the merchandise I'm seeing in the stores this year, we have several corporate funsuckers among us.

I know several people who go all out for that other holiday in december, but won't even hang a string of orange lights for Halloween.

Lizzy

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am a funsucker of myself. I've spent a TON on halloween this year... over $2000 easy... probably closer to $3000... but it's my first year doing it so I have to buy everything! I keep getting down on myself but I just can't stop spending money... I've turned into a halloween shopaholic and a very compulsive one. Oh how I wish I didn't just get approved for a $15000 limit credit card... I'm racking it up!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But there has to be more and more of us coming out of the haunted closet each year as the decorations and designs keep getting better and more expensive...even Target had some awesome stuff this year!

I think maybe on Saturday I am going to mix him a zombie strong rum and coke and let the decorating begin :)

It doesn't help that it has rained here every single day!!

My candles are coming along....I have the candles placed inside the pvcs and I am about to put the drops of hot glue on the outside....I have been taking pics....maybe I'll post some now..BRB...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I like the term funsuckers. I can definitely identify with your situation!! I am a single mother of 4. While they do enjoy halloween, they don't share the enthusiasm of building and preparing for this wonderful holiday. Somebody else mentioned that neighbors don't decorate, neither do mine. But, when it comes to xmas I don't really do much. Halloween is all about fun and making it scary. You are not alone. I try not to spend too much but it does get really hard. Now that I have joined a few halloween boards I have found too many projects that you can do a lot cheaper than buying them in the stores!! My head is swirling!! I did manage to make the lazer vortex and then my fog machine decided to quit working!! ARGGGHHH!! Anyone out there have any good tips on using fog with the laser vortex?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, I feel your pain. My Hubby always looks at me strange when I agonize over silly things like costumes in July (its none too far away now and he STILL hasn't come up with one yet!), or how the 99 cent store cobwebs won't stretch over the large openings in my balcony, or how I want to make things but they are to expensive to pull off. He's supportive, very very supportive, but he just will not do anything to really help. No wait... he'll be a good boy and bring me a soda when I'm covered in paper mache paste.... and remind me of my environmentally friendly goals when we go out shopping and I see some thing plastic and Halloween related I want to purchase.
The funniest moment I got THIS weekend was when he stopped in his tracks, his face contorted in to a grimace and he blurted out "oh my god, look at the goop" when I was putting the first section of sand-able coat of flour and water paste on my paper mache spider... and it was ALL OVER my hands... freaking hilarious.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts