Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, sorry to get anybody's hope up - there's no distributor in Europe. However, customer service have advised me that they will ship to the UK (and presumably elsewhere in Europe). I don't know about cost (they're not too heavy, but the dimensions may make them expensive to ship) but anybody this side of the pond can email Funkins' CS dept to find out;

[email protected]

Maybe if there's enough interest a group buy?

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I'd definitely be up for a few, Phil.
I spend a small fortune on Pumpkins every year, not to mention the time taken to carve them. Having a few of these around that I can use year on year would be great.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, but I wouldn't personally like to arrange a group buy myself as I already have quite a few of these from past trips across the pond. But somebody else may like to take up the reins?

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
I'll maybe take it up later.. I was thinking of doing a group buy on 4th quality Buckies from Skeleton Factory, but it seems pose-n-stays are relatively easy to come by now.. (Whoo-Hoo)!!!
I'll do a survey in the UK Related Haunters group after Halloween to try to gauge a level of interest in the Funkins and see if it's a viable exercise.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Baron. I know this may sound a bit sad, but last year (or was it the year before?) I did email Tesco and Asda customer services to ask if they had any plans to stock them in the UK? I also said if they didn't, they may like to consider doing so as I felt they would be very popular. I gave them both the contact details of Funkins for them to discuss a large import. I never received a reply from Asda, but Tesco did reply. Sadly, they basically said in a nutshell, "we don't go looking for products - people come to us if they think their products are good enough for us to stock, and then we may or may not take it further". Essentially, they told me to b*gger off!

Oh well, I tried.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Isn't it great to know that the big stores listen to their customers suggestions? :rolleyes:
I would have thought that Asda, as part of Walgreens, may have been at least open to the idea.

Other UK forum members have made the point that if an enterprising individual or company would take the leap and import decent Halloween merchandise from the U.S, instead of cheap Chinese [email protected] they would undoubtedly do very well given the rise in popularity of Halloween in the UK over recent years.. One only has to look at how the pose-n-stay skelly's have sold since they have been available here. People are asking £80 plus for them on e-bay close to Halloween... and getting it.

Not sure I'll be importing Funkins on a commercial scale, though... I'm not exactly in Sir Alan Sugar's entrepreneurial league and I'm already having to rent a lock-up to store Halloween props since my double garage/workshop and garden shed are already full.
God help me if the missus finds out...:eek:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol - that is so funny! Sounds just like me - my house is full of, well, "crap" if you ask the wife! Double garage, conservatory, utility room and a large basement - all full up. Oh, not to forget my 16 x 12 shed! She's ripping her hair out but so far I've kept the wolves from the door. Why don't they understand?

Actually, Asda are part of Walmart (not walgreens), but easy mistake to make. When I go over there I'm like a kid in a candy store - I refrain for a few days but eventually give in to the urge to the extent that I usually stop at EVERY Walgreens I pass - and there are a LOT of them everywhere! Think of Tesco Expresses - in some places you can have 2 within a hundred yards of each other! My poor wife and kids..................................................

I've always thought that about somebody in the UK taking the leap into halloween in a big way. Asda were good a few years ago, but they have wained a bit. We used to have a Spencers in our town (I think they had the same stores in the US) and that was pretty good for stuff - large props, animated too. But they went bust I think about 6 or 7 years ago.

The funkins aren't available at Walmart, Target, K-Mart or Walgreens, but are at Michaels and I think JoAnns. They're craft shops a bit like Hobbycraft so I guess other similar craft shops there will stock them. I think I also bought some last year at Target, but they were their own brand ones - not funkins.

Then you have the halloween speciality shops like Spirit and Halloween City(?), plus also Party City. I think I'm right in saying that the first two usually only pop up for halloween, then shut again. A bit like our xmas shops over here that appear in a disused store for xmas and then, afterwards, it's suddenly empty again.

They do some really fantastic props - loads of animated ones that over here would sell for £150 - £200+. But the problem is that with many of them they are simply too big to bring back in luggage. I've managed to bring some back before, but it's taken some very creative packing and large holdalls! Last year I brought back 8 of the Wally skeletons (the ones that were at Walgreens for $30 each). They largely fitted in one massive holdall (although I had to put some of the skulls in other cases!), but I had to take them all apart and then pack them in such a way as to make the most of the space.

I wasn'y looking too seriously last year as we didn't go out until about 5 October so I thought there'd be little left by then (they usually stock things early and places like Walgreens often get one delivery of stock and when it's gone, it's gone). But lo and behold, when I sauntered into a Walgreens after being over their maybe 3 days or so, I found two straight away! I then found another 6 at other stores, but bare in mind I flew into San Francisco, travelled down the coast then up to Yosemite, across to Vegas and back to LA - about £1,800 miles all in all! Saw plenty of stuff but had to be sensible. Of course, 8 skeletons doesn't sound too sensible does it?

But you should get yourself over there one day - great shopping, great people and great fun!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Other UK forum members have made the point that if an enterprising individual or company would take the leap and import decent Halloween merchandise from the U.S, instead of cheap Chinese [email protected] they would undoubtedly do very well given the rise in popularity of Halloween in the UK over recent years.. One only has to look at how the pose-n-stay skelly's have sold since they have been available here. People are asking £80 plus for them on e-bay close to Halloween... and getting it.
Baron this is my dream...I've been thinking about it for years! Now if I could only win the lottery...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts