Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, last year I used my first Funkins to great success. My wife insisted I do a Jayhawk for her and with a dremel, a funkin, and lots of patience, I pulled one off. So don't judge.

Now, in the interest of ease of use, I cut the bottom out of the funkins (there were 8) and built a daisy-chain of bulb holders to hold different color light bulbs. This way, I could easily turn them on and off.

The problem arose, however, that due to the intense light of the bulbs, the light came through the walls of the funkins.

My questions becomes, and I am sure this has been answered before, do you coat the inside of the funkin? And if so, what's your preference?

Thank you all!!

20131029_205953.jpg
20131029_210006.jpg
20131028_221334.jpg
20131028_221233_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Nice work!
what wattage bulbs are you using in those?

btw which funkin is that?47is that the granata?
where did you get it?

So, last year I used my first Funkins to great success. My wife insisted I do a Jayhawk for her and with a dremel, a funkin, and lots of patience, I pulled one off. So don't judge.

Now, in the interest of ease of use, I cut the bottom out of the funkins (there were 8) and built a daisy-chain of bulb holders to hold different color light bulbs. This way, I could easily turn them on and off.

The problem arose, however, that due to the intense light of the bulbs, the light came through the walls of the funkins.

My questions becomes, and I am sure this has been answered before, do you coat the inside of the funkin? And if so, what's your preference?

Thank you all!!

View attachment 207123
View attachment 207124
View attachment 207125
View attachment 207128

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the Funkins from Funkins.com

Yes it's a Granata

Not sure of the wattage, but I like how bright they are in the openings...I'm just thinking I can probably spray something inside to stop the light leaks.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
I just use a smaller battery operated light in the one I have. I'd guess the bleed through is because they're C7 bulbs. You might wanna try a string of colored LEDs maybe?

·
Registered
13,768 Posts
Here's a tip for lighting a few pumpkins in a string. If you check craft stores like JoAnns Fabrics, heck I think even bought some from DT once they put out Xmas will have these, look for their lighting cords that are meant to go into those ceramic "town" pieces. I've seen maybe 3 lights to a cord, maybe more. Also seen them sold as one ups. Believe they use a 3-4W night light bulb and they come with a metal clip that you insert into a hole in the pumpkin and it expands in the area keeping it in place and holding the bulb in place too. I think even the ones I bought in the past have a thumb wheel to turn them off or on while the cord is plugged in to the outlet.

I have a pre-carved pumpkin from Target years ago and it had a single bulb set up and also ran off a night light bulb. I've exchanged it with an orange christmas tree light bulb of same size, and kind of like the orange light to the naked white light from a nightlight.

·
Registered
436 Posts
What about using "Flex Seal" or "Dip It" painted on the inside?? I don't know if those would cause any kind of reaction with the funkin or not?? So please test them before ruining those nice pumpkins. Also, maybe several coats of black paint might do the trick? And one more option might be to line the inside with foil to reflect the light away from the walls.

One more thing...I would like those carvings better if it were a Tiger, Bear or a Gator instead of a Jayhawk. MIZ.......ZOU!!!, "SMS is the Best" (SMSU) "Go Gators"

I'm a native St. Louisian that transplanted to Florida

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about using "Flex Seal" or "Dip It" painted on the inside?? I don't know if those would cause any kind of reaction with the funkin or not?? So please test them before ruining those nice pumpkins. Also, maybe several coats of black paint might do the trick? And one more option might be to line the inside with foil to reflect the light away from the walls.

One more thing...I would like those carvings better if it were a Tiger, Bear or a Gator instead of a Jayhawk. MIZ.......ZOU!!!, "SMS is the Best" (SMSU) "Go Gators"

I'm a native St. Louisian that transplanted to Florida
Sid, I'm in St. Louis :)

Mizzou doesn't have an architecture school...not that I would have gone there if they did. Everyone there smells funny ;)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sid, I'm in St. Louis :)

Mizzou doesn't have an architecture school...not that I would have gone there if they did. Everyone there smells funny ;)
Yeah...I know. That's why I went to Missouri State...they smell better down there.

Can you send me an Imo's pizza, white castles and some provel cheese please?? I miss the food and Cardinals but not the winters.

·
Registered
181 Posts
i wired in a LED into the my pumpkin last year. works well since i made all my spot lights and i run them off a USB hub.

i cut all the way through but it should be bright enough to do what you need. i didnt have any issue with it lighting through the pumpkin.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is NO NEED to "seal" the inside. According to the owner, whom I've talked extensively with, they made the pumpkins so that way because of the feedback from professional carvers. Personally, I don't like the new "glow" style. I prefer the older versions where NO LIGHT bled through the walls.
If you are absolutely dead set on painting it, paint the OUTSIDE with an orange latex paint. I had to do that when filling the holes of the pumpkins on my arch. Worked PERFECTLY.
Flex Seal or Dip It will likely melt the foam on the inside.
On a similar topic, be VERY careful what wattage you use inside the Funkins. They could be too hot and catch the pumpkin on fire! You should only need a C7 or C9 bulb. That's what I use in my pumpkins and they are PLENTY bright.
Take the advice of someone who's used Funkins for 10 years and NEVER had an issue.

Hope that helps!

Yes, that's my arch!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a half dozen funkins I plan to light and bought LED C6 string lights.

If lights are too bright, simply cover a bit with electrical tape. (LED temps would never be high enough to melt tape)

I'll be able to post some photos next week. Will carve my first one tonight. While I own a dremel, I've never tried carving with it. I use a hot knife which gives me great results on the funkin, but I'm also sticking to beginner patterns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts