Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I want to make a room of mirrors for my walk through this year. I've searched the forum but haven't seen anyone post
steps on how to make funhouse mirrors using Mylar. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,810 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this, Frankie's Girl !! Is it actually mylar he is using? I have never worked with mylar and didn't think you could see through it. It would be cool to
be able to put a "surprise" behind the mirror. I hadn't even thought of plexiglas. Good idea if I can get it cheap. I was trying to figure out how to make a wooden frame and backing.

·
black light queen
2,504 Posts
mylar "space blankets" are super cheap ... i got a bunch from amazon ... they are kind of "see through" and i'd imagine would work well for the effect ... soapy water would cause the mylar to cling to the plastic and a squeegee or some other similar material could be used to work out the bubbles & excess water ...

i've done a similar effect using real mirrors ... no not a funhouse mirror, but lightly sanding the back of the mirror & removing some of the "silvering" reflective material does turn it into a 2-way mirror ... the light in behind is essential ...

amk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I tried to use the emergency camping blankets that they sell at the Dollar Store but I couldn't smooth the creases out, even with heat. I could have made several mirrors for next to nothing if the blankets weren't folded so much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I tried to do this with mylar and could not get it to reflect the way I needed. Ended up getting plexiglass with mirror coating. We used a router to make a groove in a 2x4 and made a frame. worked very well. It is more money but it is a long term prop we use every year!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I made one these about three years ago for a Dinner here in town. I sandwich mirrored window tint between two layers of Lexan plastic this give me an outer skin the could be cleaned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts