Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched in vain for any reviews of this prop before I ordered but couldn't find anything. Decided to roll the dice and ordered it last weekend. Box arrived yesterday and I set him up early this morning. He's life-sized, but on the small side. Head, hands and boots are "slush PVC" - which is essentially blow molded plastic. Finish on those parts was pretty good and they are realistic. Body is wire with pool noodle-type foam to flesh out arms and legs. Pelvis, which holds the mechanicals, is a metal cage.

Instructions state assembly time is 15 minutes, which I found to be spot-on. The clothing is the weak point IMO, particularly the shirt, which seems to have an extra piece of material sewn to the right cuff, but is still too short. I never could get the right sleeve to fully cover the wrist. Since I plan to put together a new outfit for him, the clothes weren't a deal breaker. The clothes looked like a drop cloth, they went overboard trying to make them look used.

Motion was fluid, with moderate audible motor noise (I'm going to try to address the motor noise by using a towel to try to deaden it some.) He rocks a little too rapidly, more anxious than creepy. I think slowing the rocking motion slightly would be an improvement, but I've yet to figure out how to do that. The prop comes with a "step-here" mat. It's the only way to trigger him. There are three settings. 1. Motion and sound always on. 2. Motion always on and sound triggered by pad and 3. Both motion and sound triggerd by pad. Should be an easy hack to add a motion triggered prop controller. The AC adapter is 6v 1amp. No provision for battery power. I think you could use a 6v lantern battery to get several hours out of him, but i haven't tried that yet. There's plenty of room in his pelvis-cage to accommodate a battery.

Sound is good with plenty of volume and the prop has a volume control/off nob. I plan to use him without sound so I didn't pay a lot of attention. Numerous videos of him are available on reseller sites and on YouTube. http://youtu.be/-GzSUniMWds

A few tips that worked for me: After you "hang" the arms on the shoulders, secure them with a zip tie so they don't keep coming off as you adjust his arms and clothes. The eyes needed some work as they were matte and unrealistic, to say the least. I used an ultra fine red sharpie to rim the edges of the eyelids the put a few drops of super glue, spread with a toothpick, in each eye to make them look wet. He has no padding on his stomach at all. I just used the bubble wrap that came in the box to fill him out temporarily, but a small pillow would work better and might help muffle the motor noise.

Overall, not too bad. 4 of 5 stars. As is, he's good starting point but IMO not quite ready out of the box (but few props are). I'd buy him again. Be sure you price check as there's a huge range of pricing. Wal-mart carries him, but their pricing was mid-range.

A few pics below. Note how the pelvic cage extends back quite a bit (Side view, bowed wire extending behind chair). I'm guessing that it's for balance but it's going to make fiinding replacement pants challenging.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick hack. I mentioned that i thought the prop "rocked" a bit too quickly. I added this: 6v motor controller off eBay between the motor and controller. Slowed him down to just where I wanted him and reduced motor noise as a welcome side-effect. I chose to replace the wire between the controller and prop, but its long enough to splice in the motor controller board without replacing, if you mount the board on the control box flange. The pic below shows how I mounted the board to the side of the motor shield and the speed controller knob on the control box mounting flange.

This hack would also work for the identically built Rocking Moldy Mommy prop.

image.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I plan to use the prop as a grave digger "taking a break". He'll be used in a location thats really hard to get a cord to. So, I tested the prop using two 6v lantern batteries hooked up in parallel. There's plenty of room to put both batteries in his pelvic frame so they'll be completely hidden. Prop is still going strong after 12 hours of continuos motion. A single battery didnt have quite enough amperage to prevent occasional stalls. I just used the cheaper heavy duty "non-alkaline" batteries. Walmart has two packs for $4 .88. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-Heavy-Duty-6V-Lantern-Battery/17163351.

·
Registered
152 Posts
looks good and I like that you used lantern batteries to power this- gives me a few ideas for difficult locations I can't get a cord to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts