Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am for sure building my HDH (Horse Drawn Hearse) this year. in 07' I mad a crappy one in about a day with scene setters and in 08' it got reduced to a funeral scene due to lack of time (all though i quite liked the funeral scene) but this year I have never been more prepared. I plan to start it in June so I've been looking at certain HDH designs and of course now I have a folder FILLED with pictures that I like soo...I will post some pictures and you tell me what you good people think. :D

heres a few that I like out of all the ones I have saved.

Hearse 1
I for sure want my HDH to hace arches or curves in the framing of the windows and also seprate windows. Not on big one. This one has that and is still somewhat simple

Hearse2
also has curves and I really like the curtains in this one allot. The gold accents are very nice too.

Hearse 3
Dosent have curves but I like the detail. Probaly one of the more simple of the desisns

Hearse 4
ONly has one window but for some reason I like it

Hearse 5
I love this one!! It has only one window but 2 panels of what looks like carved wooden curtains on the side. Idk how one would tohat maybe with MM? I also love the color. I usually dont want whit I like black better but this color is very nice.

Hearse 6
I like it because it's fallin apart. It actually looks like someting that would be in the graveyard of and old abndoned mansion. I think it would look great with some vines growing up it.

Ok so give me your thoughts!! I am not good at deciding and definetly need some dvice! If you need to see bigger pictures of any of the HDH to better see the detail let me know!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ok, my personal opinion here but... I like 1 and 2 hands down over the others - they just represent what my mind says is an old style hearse carriage. The detailing, the little columns, spindles at the bottom, the ornate patterns around the tri-windows... all spell perfect in my mind. I just don't like the single panel as much.... course, if one showed up in my yard, I wouldnt be complaining either.

As for the run down carriage, I dont know.... I like the thought of a functional one, as in .... it could take off at any minute and pick up a spirit to come back and scare me... the one in the last picture to me just becomes an ornament if you will... a decoration to pronounce the dilapidation of the scene ahead, but does not produce any terror or anticipation. A functional carriage, no matter how aged, would still do that for me.

Just my two cents, hope they MADE sense. ;)

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
They're all good looking....the second one down is like Evil Bob's and the 4th one is like a witch from Canada's. I too have been looking for a while and like the modification Homestead Haunt did to his which is similar to #2...just because he made it shorter and that plays well into the fact that my yard isn't very wide.

You really can't go wrong with any one of those designs..even the 6th one

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Hey Dixie, my husband agrees with what you say about the beat up one. But, I dunno...I really like the last one. With the vines on it and stuff, I just love that idea and to me, really sets the scene.

I can see both ways, the new and the old. But the old just works for me. More my style....more unknown, mysterious.

·
Registered
591 Posts
1 would be my fav, but would drive across country to pick up the last one any info on where that one is?link where you saw it.

·
Registered
622 Posts
OMG... I want #6!!! The broken down hearse is just fantastic! Er... ahem... sorry... this is... uhm... not about me of course!

Seriously though, #6 would look good in a run-down, over-grown & neglected cemetery. Otherwise I like #2 for some reason but I'm certain why!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here are mine... not as cool but cool enough. The white one will have a peppers ghost in it. The 100 year old Black one, we will sale glows out of.
These might not be to hard to make if they don't need to be functioning.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Why not take the feature you like from each coach and design your own. You are going to be the one building it so make it what you want. I like the 3 side window design much more then the single windows on the sides. When I build mine I had to keep storage in mind and build it so I could easily yake it apart. I wish I had the space to store something more along these lines......maybe next time. If you want to go for something really different....try this one

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is one wicked carriage! Any more pictures, or a link to it?

You could put a Grim driving the carriage, with a wip driving the half bone, half fleshy horses, too.

I like the idea of designing your own as well.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thats the funny part of this hobby... I keep having these great ideas, then I think to myself, "What would a 4 year old think of this?.... What would a 10 year old think it is?" It is odd, but sometimes I try to keep with what people PERCEIVE things to be, in order to scare them more.... even if it is not true to reality. I ran into this thought many times when shaping my gargoyles (works in progress)... In looking at many real historical gargoyle sculptures, they look nothing like what you would see at a Halloween shop, and therefore, left me wondering if people would even understand a lifelike historical piece.

There I go rambling again... sorry about that. :D

·
4,484 Posts
Thats the funny part of this hobby... I keep having these great ideas, then I think to myself, "What would a 4 year old think of this?.... What would a 10 year old think it is?" It is odd, but sometimes I try to keep with what people PERCEIVE things to be, in order to scare them more.... even if it is not true to reality. I ran into this thought many times when shaping my gargoyles (works in progress)... In looking at many real historical gargoyle sculptures, they look nothing like what you would see at a Halloween shop, and therefore, left me wondering if people would even understand a lifelike historical piece.

There I go rambling again... sorry about that. :D
Didja know that they have gargoyles guarding the baggage carousels at Denver's airport

·
4,484 Posts
Isn't everyone an expert on horse drawn hearses? lol I had a couple of people ask why I had a stage coach in my yard for Halloween. :rolleyes:
heck, I had no clue that the front and back wheels were "supposed" to be different sizes with "x" number of spokes....I thought they just had to be round

·
Vlad the Impaler
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
THanks for the advice guys. I am starting to like to broken down herase allot too. Maybe I can add more to it though like some peeling paint and bronze ornaments that are tarnished. Also some curtains torn and moldy lightly blowing in the breeze sound good?

·
Registered
622 Posts
GDfreak... I think you're so on the right track!

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
THanks for the advice guys. I am starting to like to broken down herase allot too. Maybe I can add more to it though like some peeling paint and bronze ornaments that are tarnished. Also some curtains torn and moldy lightly blowing in the breeze sound good?
Sounds good. I was also thinking of a coffin that is in the hearse that is spilling out (a little overturned and opened) with a skeletal corpse in it. To suggest that there was a funeral long ago and Whammo! everybody had left (or was taken?) in a hurry for some reason....

·
Registered
591 Posts
Why not take the feature you like from each coach and design your own. You are going to be the one building it so make it what you want. I like the 3 side window design much more then the single windows on the sides. When I build mine I had to keep storage in mind and build it so I could easily yake it apart. I wish I had the space to store something more along these lines......maybe next time. If you want to go for something really different....try this one

Oh that one is kickass! But now I going I could build this out of this and use that to make that and... then brain goes how you going to store it.:(

1 - 20 of 70 Posts