·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Materials List:

Great Stuff (or whatevers on sale) expanding foam
concrete form tubes x2
Saran Wrap (or whatever s on sale)
Talking Tree Face (picked up on clearance after Hallo'een)

OK, be prepared to eventually get this crap on you (expanding foam)

I start with applying my foam to sheets of saran wrap and after a minute or two of curing (just enough time to get a bit of "tooth" or resistance from the foam. Too early and you'll find it flattens right out and gives very little texture, which in some cases is fine, its whatever desired grain or effect you'd like

photo 6.jpg

photo 8.jpg

I split the top of one concrete form so I could give it the broken off top look to my tree

I built an inner ring of foam inside the bottom concrete form in layers so I could attach the two

photo 9.jpg

It can be time consuming, but I never noticed...

I wanted a few broken off branches that fog can roll out from, using scrap PVC
photo 7.jpg

photo 25.jpg

photo 14.jpg

Also using scrap PVC for this arms, in stages of course as thats how this guy is mostly built. Next, foam in your arms and broken branches being careful to leave branches unblocked for fog to escape from

photo 5.jpg

I wanted to give him a broad base to help with stability...good time to add a skeleton...maybe a sign post...its up to you!

photo 24.jpg

So far so good, going to finish him off with more foliage and moss effects this weekend and will post the finished Haunted Tree prop

Have fun!

Croggy~

·
Registered
401 Posts
Holy $#*T!, that is way cool. Agree about the part on getting the foam on the cheap, cause I used a few cans last year and it goes quick and adds up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The plastic wrap allows you to form and texture the foam into whatever your looking for. Once it cures, the wrap peels right off and what doesn't can be evaporated with a kiss of the torch

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,089 Posts
so you squirt on saran wrap first then while its still sticky put on the tube? Why not straight on the tube in small sections and form /texture there? Just wondering....

The plastic wrap allows you to form and texture the foam into whatever your looking for. Once it cures, the wrap peels right off and what doesn't can be evaporated with a kiss of the torch

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,397 Posts
Oh...got it. But how is it attached to the form?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Verticle surfaces tend to suck for holding onto foam, it wants to ball up and roll down into a nice expensive wad on the floor :) the plastic wrap acts as a skin until it cures

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah, pick it up by the corners carefully and just slap 'er on there...you may get a little overlap between sections but it cures beautifully regardless. And again this gives you your chance to sculpt what textures your looking for, bark..wood grain...brick...you'd be surprised what you can do

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But remember, if you want a thicker section to work with, let it cure longer and it'll get pudgier naturally, otherwise you'll end up with a thin set foam if you put it on too early. It's a personal preference thing really, no wrong way to create something , but wait too long and you have a rectangular piece of foam..which has it's uses too I reckon' :)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts