Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!!

My husband and I have been having this debate.

Full size bars or fun size?

I usually give out 3 pieces of the fun size stuff.......and who has a clue how much of it I eat. The way I see it based on 3 pieces plus my consumption it would be a wash money wise.

What do you give out?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok, here's my 2 cents for whatever it's worth: Since you can go either way $$ wise then I recommend the fun size, it looks like more to the kids and you can control portion size as they are smaller. Full size bars mean you're committed once you open the wrapper. Hope this doesn't cause more of a marital debate! LOL...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the plus of the fun size. Kids get an assortment that they can count, trade, etc. And it's easier to control by the parents.

Oh and the leftover can go to the hubby's office.

That's been his argument.......LOL!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I switched to full size for this year. I think they are more dramatic and unique since most houses give out fun or mini size. I remember growing up there was one house that gave out full size candy bars in our neighborhood and my sister and I always made sure we went there even when our parents were going to drive us to a better TOTing area.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
There is no wrong answer and a lot of it depends on the number of kids that you get. We get about 50-75, so we can afford to splurge and get king size candy bars or the 6-pack of minis tray. It varies from year to year what we get. I hold the line at a $1 per piece of candy and some years it is hard to find king size at a dollar, so we then buy the 6-pack tray which is always a dollar at our local grocery store.

But for me, I think candy is as important as outside decorating. Unless of course, you are a professional/ or about professional halloween builder, then I can see where the candy plays a lessor role. Especially if you have thousands into your build out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i do full size candy. I have fun with it and the kids love it. i make sure i only pay 50 cents each and i will store them in the freezer. I look at it as good will towards helping me keep the display from being vandalized.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,848 Posts
I think the decision depends on how many ToTers one gets.

We got less than 10 last year & that's been about the average for the last couple of years so I do full sized bars. If I had over 50 ToTers I'd do "fun sized" bars because it would probably be more cost effective.

I have done treat bags since I was a kid. My grandparents did it back in the 70s & 80s & I've kept the tradition up all these years. It also makes it easier to keep track of how many ToTers I actually get.

·
The Haunting Girl
881 Posts
I went full sized a few years ago and the ToTs love it. My house is a bit out of the way and we usually get about 40-50 so it's not too much money. We do keep a few bags of the fun size in case we run out, but we haven't yet. I just stock up during the summer when I see a good sale and throw them in the frig so they don't melt. I usually count the bars before starting and it's an easy way to keep track of how many ToTs actually come through.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Purchasing Halloween Candy is one of my Luxury expenses along with Halloween Decorations and props.
At BJ's a box of 30 full size mixed $15.99 + tax or under $.60 each. They get a choice, one each.
The size of their EYES as they look at the tray, is worth every cent.
I started about 10 years ago with just a handful of kids, now over 400, (depending on the weather), planning on over 500 Wednesday?
Cheaper then an evening into NYC and the mixed boxes, of 30 bars, unopened are accepted back at BJ's, so they don't go to the office.
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I do a big assortment of treats: toys, grab bags, stuffed animals, chips, and full size candy bars.

I think that the full sized bars seem like "more" - even when the weight/cost ratio is the same. I got 60 full sized Hershey brand assorted bars from Amazon for $21.64.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have some of each. Full size for any ToTs and fun size to have in bowls around the house for the party and personal use.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I went full size this year. Sams club has a 52 piece fundraising box, i normally get about 60 kids on average, so i will buy a small bag just in case i run out and hope i have enough. Plus if i run out of the 52 bars i wont be snacking on bike size candy for 3 weeks..

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
For a while I was doing treat bags, but do you know how many fun size can fit in those? A LOT! And I really don’t get that many kids....30-50....so I decided I was doing full size this year. Went to Sam’s Club and bought 2 boxes.....one box of King Size KitKats and one box of Snickers2. I get the practicality of fun size, but I only worry about portion control for my own consumption because I don’t know how these ToTs are raised or how the parents manage their kids’ bounty at the end of the night. But I do know that their faces will light up much more when they see a large candy bar go in their bucket than a couple of fun size ones!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts