Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year, I check the lunar calendar to see If we'll get a Full moon on Halloween.

Well from what I could tell the next full moon to fall near Halloween won't be until 2012. I can't wait that long! Full moons
and Halloween go together like, like, candy and corn! OK, so maybe that's a bad example...but It would still be cool to have a Full moon every Halloween!
So I decided to build one! I know what your thinking, "Huh?"
Yeah, I built a digital moon.

The Plan: By projecting it (the moon file) onto a black disk attacked to the roof; I can have my own moon!
I call her Agatha: the bewitched moon.

View SWF File

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no not yet!
I know that it would work...just haven't gotten around to it?

If anyone is willing to try it out...I'll provide a download file. Just pm me!

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Nice!! Really nice!!

Like Specter asked, do you have this rigged up already, or is it something you"ll be setting up for this coming Halloween?
(oops...just saw your post...I guess not yet)

A thought I had, as you had mentioned a black disk to project this on...if this projection is going to be running all night, perhaps a white sheet/screen would work better, if it was circular?
I'm just thinking for maximum brightness - the black screen is going to absorb a lot of light, and unless it's a scrim, you'll need to project from the front.

I'm thinking a large PVC pipe hoop, with a sheet stretched on it, and the projector being behind the screen, so the projector would be on the back side of the house, and completely away from anyone being able to see the source of the movie. The movie should be quite viewable through the sheet, and as it's white, it won't dim out the image (well, too much).

Just a thought, if you haven't already put this together.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice!! Really nice!!

Like Specter asked, do you have this rigged up already, or is it something you"ll be setting up for this coming Halloween?
(oops...just saw your post...I guess not yet)

A thought I had, as you had mentioned a black disk to project this on...if this projection is going to be running all night, perhaps a white sheet/screen would work better, if it was circular?
I'm just thinking for maximum brightness - the black screen is going to absorb a lot of light, and unless it's a scrim, you'll need to project from the front.

I'm thinking a large PVC pipe hoop, with a sheet stretched on it, and the projector being behind the screen, so the projector would be on the back side of the house, and completely away from anyone being able to see the source of the movie. The movie should be quite viewable through the sheet, and as it's white, it won't dim out the image (well, too much).

Just a thought, if you haven't already put this together.
for this Halloween! Back projection would be better! And so would a white source instead of a black. I wonder if a white trashbag or frosted plexyglass would let in enough light for back projection?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
for this Halloween! Back projection would be better! And so would a white source instead of a black. I wonder if a white trashbag or frosted plexyglass would let in enough light for back projection?
Both sound feasible...I'd say the only limiting factor on the white trashbag idea would be, if you end up needing to use more than one, you'll have tape seams showing.

That, of course, will depend on the size you're talking.

Me? i was thinking 3 10' lengths of PVC pipe...bend them into a hoop...would give a circle just under 10' across (about 9 1/2').
Admittedly, that's a big sail on top of a roof, but it would also make for a great big moon!
(bracing would simply be more PVC pipe painted black...angled downward to rest on the roof - make certain the "moon" is on the crest of the roof, and the bracing can be even on each side - and, for added security, some monofiliment could be run out as guy wires)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Sounds cool,, I was just thinking of cutting a moon out of plywood and painting it with yellow glow in the dark paint, wish I had a projector though, that would be cool.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Looks like there are a lot of ideas floating around this concept. I'll be interested to read what people come up with as a solution. I have to admit, I have thought about it as well, but mine was a real low-budget solution. just cutting out some plywood and painting it to look like the moon. Really simple, but difficult to light properly. (Also, doesn't help when the real moon shows you up.)

If people could include sketches and/or tutorials for some of these lighted methods, I'd love to see them.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the main reasons for using a projected image of a moon was so that I could add animated scenes (like a witch flying by, or bats, etc).

Although not everyone has a projector; pocket projectors and toy-like models are becoming increasingly less expensive. By using digital effects in the haunt...I can create effects that cannot be easily created by other means. I still wish to attempt this out of curiosity because I don't think I could create a more realistic looking moon any other way. The fact that a witch flies by adds to the effect!

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Both sound feasible...I'd say the only limiting factor on the white trashbag idea would be, if you end up needing to use more than one, you'll have tape seams showing.

That, of course, will depend on the size you're talking.

Me? i was thinking 3 10' lengths of PVC pipe...bend them into a hoop...would give a circle just under 10' across (about 9 1/2').
Admittedly, that's a big sail on top of a roof, but it would also make for a great big moon!
(bracing would simply be more PVC pipe painted black...angled downward to rest on the roof - make certain the "moon" is on the crest of the roof, and the bracing can be even on each side - and, for added security, some monofiliment could be run out as guy wires)
Working with your idea, I thought of the perfect thing while browsing thru Dollar Tree.

A hula hoop. It's the perfect size, not too big or too small plus Dollar Tree had some white tablecloths that I think will work great for the projection. Now I just have to figure out how to attach it to the roof. I'll post a tutorial if it all works out!

·
Funeral Crasher
7,445 Posts
Neat idea!! I wonder if there's a way to do a still projection of the moon (backlit from the rear) and then use a small motor to make a black sihlouette of a witch flying in front of the moon?
I mention this because I still don't have a video projector.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neat idea!! I wonder if there's a way to do a still projection of the moon (backlit from the rear) and then use a small motor to make a black sihlouette of a witch flying in front of the moon?
Well, I originally was going to do that for 08! I was working on a battery operated portable fan trying to figure out how to slow the motor down enough to attach a silhouetted witch to; and then scraped the idea at the last minute because I wanted the witch figure to be more animated. That's why I made the switch to a digital version.:)

I mention this because I still don't have a video projector.
I have two projectors and they're both old and temperamental. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I'm looking into those pocket projectors...I'd hate for a 9lb, 700 dollar projector to fall off the roof, and KO a ToT! Those pocket/micro projectors are no bigger than a calculator, and weigh less than a pound. I'd prefer to use one of those.

Maybe we should do a group buy on the micro projector!!!

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah they're still a little high, But you can always go with a wonderwall, torpedo, or zoombox projectors too! I figured it's no more expensive than a Gemmy lifesize figure. Usually I set aside some $$ to buy a new figure every year. This year, I'll buy a pocket projector. Im eyeing one right now that has a 60'' 640x480 resolution ~$160.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I can totally see that being connected to music and sound effects. Bats would be a good effect. or maybe turn it blood red. Then make it the all-seeing eye from Lord of the Rings.

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want a projector so freaking badly... they're so expensive, though.
Im working on a group buy...the more people involved, the cheaper the cost! I'll post more info when I find a reasonably price model.

I can totally see that being connected to music and sound effects. Bats would be a good effect. or maybe turn it blood red. Then make it the all-seeing eye from Lord of the Rings.
Like the idea of adding bats, and sound. The final version will be will be ready real soon!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts