Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 2 years ago our city switched to trick or treat from 5-7pm on the saturday before halloween. With the extended daylight savings time it's completely light out the entire time. It's frustrating because there's no dark corners to hide behind; blacklights, smoke machines, and strobe lights are rendered nearly useless. This year i am not doing the "full" setup but have built a deli case and wrapped some arms, brains, fingers, and a head on styrofoam trays. A bloody cleaver and apron takes care of my character. Other than a few grave stones, sound effects cd, and my "butcher shop" sign i'm pretty out of ideas. And that's not counting the years it poured rain and snowed during trick or treat!

What effects work well with you if you have to haunt in the daylight?

·
Registered
34,922 Posts
Do you have a garage that you can set up in? If you do you can use black tarps to cover the front so it will be dark inside.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I lived just outside of Akron until 2002 and they switched to daylight trick or treating when I was still of age, waaaaaaay back when. All in all much safer for the little ones. I don't know why you can't kick in your haunt after dark anyway and people can still come and enjoy it.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
I don't see how it's safer. I can't recall any great halloween crime from 10 years ago or so that would scare everyone into tot earlier. That was always part of the fun thought! Getting scared running amuck in the neighborhood after dark getting a sugar high.

·
Registered
605 Posts
What's ruined trick or treating is the possibility of perverts lurking around in the dark and the parents that let their children run amok alone with nothing reflective for them to be seen by cars. More and more crime is oozing from the cities into the suburbs. Unfortunately, things that go bump in the night aren't what children have to be afraid of anymore. All the things children used to be able to do like trick or treating alone in the dark, delivering newspapers, selling girl scout cookies and magazine subscriptions door to door isn't safe anymore and it's really damn sad. And I sure remember a few halloweens when I had to wear my coat over my costume due to snow. No fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Maybe on the designated night you could make a sign informing them that your place will be haunted on halloween night and to come back and check it out. Include flyers with candy? Just a thought.

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
I know it might sound over the top, but i'd seriously relocate.

I don't understand how they can tell you what night you can trick or treat on. What they going to do if you do something on the 31st, have you arrested?

And not having trick or treat on the 31st, seriously? Are you kidding me? How is it any safer, it just sucks the fun out of it and is pointless.

The streets are no more dangerous these days than when we were kids, there have always been pedophiles. It isn't some sickness that just happened 5 years ago. The problem today is paranoia and over-precautions.

If you really wanted to get into it i'd say the chances of a pervert striking during TOT'ing is less likely than any other time of year. Why? Because there are way too many people around, including adults and parents. Do any of you recall any big kidnappings/rapes/murders on TOT'ers? Not to my knowledge. Sure it may have happened somewhere at sometime, but no more than any other random attack.

A bit of a rant i know, but people are seriously way too over-sensitive these days, to the point where the fun is so 'controlled' it just isn't fun anymore.

Fine, have a TOT curfew, but swapping nights, what a load.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Frustrated?!?! I would be outraged!:mad:, Halloween is my Christmas, no city is going to tell me when I can set up my gear and when I can pass out free stuff.
I would put a sign in my yard stating "Halloween at this house is ON HALLOWEEN NIGHT, feel FREE to come anytime between dusk and Xpm"

·
Registered
530 Posts
Oh, I'd be doing my haunt on Halloween night. If you hold it, they will come! On whatever day it is that the city has designated, I'd not be giving anything out. It is a HOLIDAY. They can't just move it to when they find convenient.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't see how it's safer. I can't recall any great halloween crime from 10 years ago or so that would scare everyone into tot earlier. That was always part of the fun thought! Getting scared running amuck in the neighborhood after dark getting a sugar high.
You didn't know? Anyone who celebrates Halloween is a satan worshipper who like to snatch children to sacrifice to our dark lord.
But sunlight kills us apparently :mad:

I'd put up a sign in my yard and say "For a fun Halloween time, come after dark, no treats given before dark".

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
Hmm I think daylight does make a haunt more difficult as night automatically gets people thinking about all the things that _could be_ in a haunt. as well as in daylight it is easier to simply disbelieve a prop or thrill.

too my thinking you will have to do more detail oriented effects rather than generalized. IE your fog has to be coming from some where (like a partly open coffin with a rattler attached to the lid.) rather than just an overall environmental effect. Details that would be overlooked at night (the ones most of us highlight with lighting effects) are more of what we see in daylight.

I would think that perhaps a mausoleum with a creature trying to escape the sunlight would be good as well, kinda like the child in the movie Nightbreed Actually the entire surface of the city of Mideon is fun in that movie.

Making the horrors we instinctively feel at night try to follow some one into the perceived safety of light is a powerful psychological effect. Rustling in bushes distracts some one until they turn that corner face to face with a tortured corpse.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd suggest moving. That seems the only viable solution to me.

Seriously though, when the hell'd the world get so damn wussy? We're 2 steps away from bubble wrapping our children and keeping them locked in the house 24/7.

·
Registered
284 Posts
And not having trick or treat on the 31st, seriously? Are you kidding me? How is it any safer, it just sucks the fun out of it and is pointless.
I'm willing to deal with the saturday bit. Not out of safety concerns because I agree with you there, but it's just a better day. Having to get the kids ready and out for TOTing right after work must suck.

I get home from work at 6, which is when the TOTing begins in my town (ON Halloween for the record). Now fortunately I am taking the day off to prepare, and I have no kids, but I can see how doing it on a saturday is helpful to others.

But in the freakin' DAYLIGHT?! Come on! Now that's silly. Why even bother at that point?

I seriously haven't heard of a single incident in recent memory of something bad has happened due to the darkness. Maybe I'm just missing the horror that is Halloween night and kids everywhere are being run down by maniac twits who don't slow WAY down on the big night. Me? I drive like my grandmother on Halloween b/c I know full well there will be kids out roaming.

·
Clarification: Not A Man
1,182 Posts
Daylight ToT is stupid. moving the day is fine and understandable. considering the number of people that celebrate i am surprised businesses don't close early to let people have a chance at getting ready. (not wal-mart etc. that serve people year round, but businesses that wouldn't be hurt by no/half halloween sales)

taking in consideration that most schools get out at 3pm and work places get out 5-7pm moving ToT hours to more day light is the worst idea ever because people will be compelled to do 2 things
1) rebel and run late anyhow or not open till after 6-7pm
2) stop celebrating. stop dressing up, little deco, and maybe handing out candy, begrudgingly.

the props that people make and buy are for the dark, the same can be said for many costumes. then again a number of costume might be cheaply mass produced in the hope that the dark will make them look better. in that case day light ToT is great cause better costumes and props will need to be made to accommodate the better light. :D

as for protecting kids in the dark, the perverts and kidnapping thing is definitely and over reaction. kids shouldn't ToT alone if they are under the age of 10-13 and an older kid should be with younger kids if the parent doesn't want to/ cant go. for street safety you don't NEED reflective tape.... there are these things shaped like sticks and the glow really brightly... cant remember what they are called :D but they cost like $0.99 a piece at halloween stores. you can even buy a year supply of these glowing sticks online. and a big plus is that kids love them..."but they can break and they are hazardous" you have to abuse glow sticks pretty badly (even cheap ones) to get them to break open and the hazard is the little glass tube not the chemicals itself. unless your kid has a chewing on things problem, they will be fine.

all in all, there is no well supported reasoning for daylight ToT it's hyped up to be 'safer' and 'better' but thats all bullsh-- fed to scared parents. yeah in more populated areas with histories of problems some precautions should be made but not every place needs to lock down halloween.

anyhow i don't think you should move but you might want to get a group petition going to have the hours changed again to a darker time. enough people complain and the city will have to do something. that or just advertise that you will be up halloween night and not during the designated ToT time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts