Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a gallon of Froggy's Fog Juice yesterday and I had to try it out. I like the fog, bit it has a distinct odor to it. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed the ode de Froggy's?

To compensate, I tried something different. I have a lot of those incense oils you can get from Michaels, so I put a couple of drops into the juice. It didn't hurt the juice or the fogger at all, but there was the slightest hint of Spiced Apple in the fog.

Have you tried to work with fog smells?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Maybe it is the residue of the last Fog you used or the cleaning agents if you cleaned it?

Maybe the temperature of your fogger is set too high?

Just a few ideas.

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm...

I will clean out my fogger with the water/vinegar mix that Froggy's suggests and then try again.

I was actually more interested in knowing if anyone else has tried "scenting" their fog?

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's dangerous to add anything to fog juice. If you change the chemical composition of the fluid even slightly, you can cause the fog to be toxic and/or damage the fog machine. No joke.

·
Registered
184 Posts
DO NOT ADD anything to your fog juice they say that is very very bad . and i have damaged a fog machine by doing so. i use froggys fog juice also . i think it has a slight oder to it but i would not add anything ...sorry tk

·
Banned
3,040 Posts
DO NOT ADD anything to your fog juice they say that is very very bad . and i have damaged a fog machine by doing so.
who the heck is THEY? I don't mean to sound rude, and I'd hate to step on any coatails, but I wanted to share my own experience! "THEY" might be right, Can adding something to fog juice mess up the machine? yes...and no!

Does adding a few "drops" of scented oil to your fog fluid ruin the machine...Not Likely. Do you really think that a few drops of oil added to your oilly fog fluid will ruin your machine!? Many companies sell fragrances for fog machines...fragrances that are nothing more than scented oil.

Will adding a few drop of scented oil, change the chemical makeup of fog fluid causing catastrophic toxins. No! Stupidity, and homemade fog juice concoctions can.

I can understand the concern, as I question it myself... But I've added pumpkin fragrance fog juice to my machine for years...and have recieved no complants; or witnessed anyone cough, gag, or chock on my "toxic" fog. I have never had to clean my machine never had it cloggged, or had to fix my machine because it was damaged.

I do not know how your machine will respond, and the above message is only my understanding of adding scented oil to fog fluid. I can not say your machine will not clog, or become damaged. But I highly doubt a few drops of scented oil will harm your machine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
well thats funny, maybe i added to much to mine a few years back ago. but when i called to order a new one and did some research they were very adamant about adding anything to the fog juice.they meaning the people and companies who manufacture these machines .and i never bought a cheap-o

·
6,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What caught me off guard was the powerful odor of the froggy's swamp juice. I will clean out my fogger (as instructed my froggy) and try again to see if the odor is still there.

If it is, I may risk a fogger by adding a few drops of scented oil. My first experiement with the addition of the oil went just fine, but I certainly don't want to break anything.

·
Registered
393 Posts
who the heck is THEY? I don't mean to sound rude, and I'd hate to step on any coatails, but I wanted to share my own experience! "THEY" might be right, Can adding something to fog juice mess up the machine? yes...and no!

Does adding a few "drops" of scented oil to your fog fluid ruin the machine...Not Likely. Do you really think that a few drops of oil added to your oilly fog fluid will ruin your machine!? Many companies sell fragrances for fog machines...fragrances that are nothing more than scented oil.

Will adding a few drop of scented oil, change the chemical makeup of fog fluid causing catastrophic toxins. No! Stupidity, and homemade fog juice concoctions can.

I can understand the concern, as I question it myself... But I've added pumpkin fragrance fog juice to my machine for years...and have recieved no complants; or witnessed anyone cough, gag, or chock on my "toxic" fog. I have never had to clean my machine never had it cloggged, or had to fix my machine because it was damaged.

I do not know how your machine will respond, and the above message is only my understanding of adding scented oil to fog fluid. I can not say your machine will not clog, or become damaged. But I highly doubt a few drops of scented oil will harm your machine.
All I'm saying is that there are quite a few websites out there that say adding anything to fog juice is dangerous, whether it's food coloring or fragrance oils. Google it. The mixture of water and glycol/glycerin needs to be very precise in order to be safe. Adding anything to the mixture can change the composition causing it to burn. The oils can also be broken down into chemicals that are related to carcinogens when they go through the heat exchanger.

No, you won't notice anybody hacking while walking through your fog. But that exposure could be causing cancer several years down the road. Why take the chance? Why not play it safe? It's your choice. I made my choice, and I know it's the right one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The answer is yes... and no!

Oil should NEVER be added to any water based fog fluids like Swamp Juice. Most fragrances are indeed oils and could either damage your machine or after being heated to 300+ degrees become toxic. There are however, fragrances that will dissolve in water and are water based such as Sinister Scents stuff. We at Froggy's actually did some testing on his stuff and found no problems.

All of Froggy's Fog fluids are designed to have virtually NO smell. There are really only two exceptions to that rule:

#1. mixing Froggy's with another brand of fluid.

#2. Using a machine with an inaccurate temp that is way too high. There are two very common brands of machines among haunters that are notorious for being too hot and burning the fog fluid, which will give off a rancid smell.

Hope this helps clear the air... no pun Intended!
Chris

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Oil should NEVER be added to any water based fog fluids like Swamp Juice. Most fragrances are indeed oils and could either damage your machine or after being heated to 300+ degrees become toxic. There are however, fragrances that will dissolve in water and are water based such as Sinister Scents stuff. We at Froggy's actually did some testing on his stuff and found no problems.

All of Froggy's Fog fluids are designed to have virtually NO smell. There are really only two exceptions to that rule:

#1. mixing Froggy's with another brand of fluid.

#2. Using a machine with an inaccurate temp that is way too high. There are two very common brands of machines among haunters that are notorious for being too hot and burning the fog fluid, which will give off a rancid smell.

Hope this helps clear the air... no pun Intended!
Chris
Ah, come on, give us a hint on which fog machines run too high. I have my suspicions of an old one of mine.

By the way, which scent do you recommend for a good overall smell for a neighborhood haunt?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts