Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was pondering about using a spitting or misting device with a motion sensor for my haunted walkthrough. Last year I came across one made by Frightprops.com but I hesitated at the $59.95 price. This year I figured I'd give it another look but now that same device is $100! Does anyone know of an alternative, built an alternative? If so, would be most interested in learning what you know...

radu

·
Registered
77 Posts
A car window washing kit, similar to this on amazon. I got one off ebay for $18 delivered.
Of course you'd need a 12V power supply, motion sensor and some way to switch it (possibly a cheap relay board).

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I like the idea, but seems like I'd have to purchase and attach a lot of other gadgets to get it to operate as I need. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohhh wow, that is the effect minus the vicious viper.
While I was on Amazon looking into OZAZ's wiper idea, I came across the same device that FrightProps sells - it's a cat deterrent device called SSSSCat. Doesn't look at powerful as what you have shown in the video. If you know where the one you have shown came from please do tell. Did you build it?

·
Registered
634 Posts
HAHA it would never occur to me to use one of those SSSSCat things for Halloween, but it's a pretty good scare when I forget it's on! Makes an audible PSSSSST and shoots a burst of compressed air. And the motion detection is pretty good. Tiny air cans, replaceable though. Still makes the noise when the can is empty. A bit expensive for what they are, but saves on work if that's what you want. I'd say the air goes 4-5 feet - not very powerful, but it certainly does the job. When the can is fresh, you will notice it.

And it keeps the cats off my Halloween village table.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've got an old swiffer mop that squirts cleaner on the floor with a push of a button. I've been meaning to convert it to a squirter. It's just a small pump with squirts water about 5 feet away. You'd have to be near it to make it fire unless you wire up an Arduino with a motion sensor or something.

You could also use a remote controlled automatic air freshner like this and instead of perfume use a can of silly string.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HAHA it would never occur to me to use one of those SSSSCat things for Halloween, but it's a pretty good scare when I forget it's on! Makes an audible PSSSSST and shoots a burst of compressed air.

And it keeps the cats off my Halloween village table.
Is it just air? The description mentions water.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got an old swiffer mop that squirts cleaner on the floor with a push of a button. I've been meaning to convert it to a squirter. It's just a small pump with squirts water about 5 feet away. You'd have to be near it to make it fire unless you wire up an Arduino with a motion sensor or something.

You could also use a remote controlled automatic air freshner like this and instead of perfume use a can of silly string.
Imagine if you will, being squirted with silly string from the mouth of a zombie, in a haunt... now that is an awesome idea...

·
Registered
634 Posts
Is it just air? The description mentions water.
No water in the SssCat, just compressed air. It produces a visible cloud, but there is no "wet" element. But if you could find a can of something that would fit...

Quick video in action:
I think I overestimated it's reach though, more like 3 feet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I built it. You need 4 ft (1/4 hose), 2 ft (1/8 hose), a small pipette, a 2 way solenoid, 2 1/4 inch quick connects, water bottle/reservoir and a power supply.

You need a compressor and can dial down the distance from 1-10 feet.
Do you have a video somewhere on how to make this spitting snake?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you have a video somewhere on how to make this spitting snake?

No video, for the head movement you can use a small air cylinder, clevis, mounting bracket, and a valve kit (heres the links to the needed parts):

Valve kit & spitter mechanism:

And if you want a controller to run the extend valve and spitter:

If you order the valve kit and spitter mech, I will weld you a quick custom bracket for inside the snakes head. Add that to the snake, route the spitter mechanism thru the snake, then id recommend backfilling around the steel bracket with flexible expanding foam (great stuff flex).

Once affixed into place, mount the cylinder bracket to your mounting surface and youre all set.

Hope that helps
Brent

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DC Props is the original designer of those spitter mechanisms and they are offering a 13% off sale on all mechs and startle effects thru midnight on Friday September 13th. Use offer code " FRIDAY13" to receive the discount.
Yes I see their spitter. However, at $110.00 plus $$ for a compressor put this item out of my home haunt budget....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
7 Participants
Industen
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing