Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received my talking skull and small pop-up mech from Fright Props that I ordered at Transworld. They both look and work great. I recommend ordering from frightprops.com. They're Great!:)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have to agree,I placed an Order for a Costume,found out they didnt have those anymore and recieved a call telling me so.Then I places an Order for a Dragon Mask,recieved it fast and its way cool and on Sale :). DSCF0039.jpg

·
Banned
186 Posts
Can't agree. A couple weeks ago frightprops stole my product video, covered up my logo and added theirs and uploaded it to youtube and shared it with all.
Despicable company. About a year ago they claimed on this forum they caught someone duplicating their props and were so proud how the person closed up shop and ran. My video was copyrighted and registered and they just stole it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi SPOOKMART,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention when it happened a couple of weeks ago. We immediately took down the video and also another that had just been posted by the same employee. I completely agree that this is unacceptable and sincerely apologize. We take copyright infringement very seriously and am dumbfounded on how this could have happened. It has never happened in the past and will not happen in the future. The employee that did this has been dealt with appropriately. Their (unacceptable) excuse was "I thought it was a Distortions video". Clearly not ok.

I did respond to the e-mail you sent us but it bounced tight back due to a bad address ('******at live.com').
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally in the future at doug at frightprops.com

Sincerely yours,

Doug.
President / FrightProps

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Hi SPOOKMART,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention when it happened a couple of weeks ago. We immediately took down the video and also another that had just been posted by the same employee. I completely agree that this is unacceptable and sincerely apologize. We take copyright infringement very seriously and am dumbfounded on how this could have happened. It has never happened in the past and will not happen in the future. The employee that did this has been dealt with appropriately. Their (unacceptable) excuse was "I thought it was a Distortions video". Clearly not ok.

I did respond to the e-mail you sent us but it bounced tight back due to a bad address ('* at live.com').
Please do not hesitate to contact me personally in the future at doug at frightprops.com

Sincerely yours,

Doug.
President / FrightProps

My husband runs a fairly large company and one thing I can tell you for certain is; if things can go wrong, they will go wrong!!!
I can attest to the fact that when dealing with large numbers of employees, crap happens! My hubby tries very hard to run tight ship but inevitably (human nature being what it is) people always seem to do dumb things.

I think SpookMart had an absolutely legitimate reason for being angry and upset, I just don't feel that this was necessarily the right place to air his grievances. While the above post by SpookMart was in itself fairly innocuous, there were other thread and blog posts regarding this matter that were not. I am in no way a Pollyanna and have no problems with people leaving poor reviews or expressing dismay over situations or events. I just think we all need to be very careful about what we say and how we say it. Sometimes when in the heat of the moment emotions can get the best of us. So when faced with the possibility of behaving in a manor that is less than admirable, it is probably best to step back and wait a day or two before posting. In this particular case since SpookMart obviously felt that his issues were not adequately addressed it might have been better to send a PM.

Doug it appears as though you were genuinely concerned by this situation and the efforts you made to rectify this showed a level of integrity all to often missing in today's buisness environment. Good customer service is not only essential but necessary for both growth and success. Sadly we rarely see this anymore.
Kudos to you!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not to disregard Spookmart's experience, but I personally have had great experiences with Fright Props and will continue to do business with them. I had one order that was short a CD, I contacted Doug and the CD was on it's way to me immediately.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Frightprops steals stuff from small companies. Take a look at their portable horn blasters they were selling at Transworld this year. My friend makes those and has been making them for 7 years. Frightprops used to sell his items, but decided to rip off and copy every single one he makes. The sparking gloves, the clown horn, the loud horn - all using a miniature compressor and a motorcycle battery. And I think this forum is exactly the place to discuss these items.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Hauntfreaker,

While I understand your frustration with us and your reasoning behind bringing this issue to a public forum, we personally feel that business matters should be discussed privately between the two involved parties. We understand that you're sticking up for a good friend of yours (and good on you for doing so), but we'd like to ask that you respect the fact that there are two sides to every story. As people in the haunt industry will attest, we do our best to be fair and considerate to the community that we love so much.

We've sent you a personal message to provide some clarity on this situation. If you are in close and regular contact with your friend, please let him know that we have been trying to reach him since February to no avail.

-Drew

·
Registered
594 Posts
What Hauntfreaker is saying is totally true. Fright Props/Doug are KNOWINGLY selling illegal re-cast models of my 2010 Copyrighted FSMM skull model. It’s dishonest and discussing. I have talked to the owner Doug in person and he is very aware of the situation and his cavalier decision to continue to sell illegal re-cast copies is plain criminal.
FP.jpg

·
Banned
186 Posts
It would seem, this is quite common as several others have added their perspective. I didn't even see the post Skull Shoppe made until a short time ago. When I used to sell for Skeleton Store I remember his skulls. Why one of my last orders placed for a customer was for 4 of Skull Shoppe's skulls. The customer I remembr loved them. I also remember Frightprops was selling for Skeleton Store so they could have purchased those skulls wholesale. They knew who I was then and know who I am today. They never met me but they felt me when I sold for Skeleton Store. I sold a lot of Bucky Skeletons. I was also the person who constantly badgered Linda at Skeleton Store to update their pictures. I have emails to document how I was telling her how this should be done and how that should be done. Funny I moved away from some of those ideas. for the longest time I was the only one who had videos when they added those budget animated props. My Youtube page still gets lots of plays for them. i know people are using them. I also remember someone closely connected with them stealing my pictures which I was using to great advantage. That hurt my business. It became increasingly apparent people were willing to prosper from my ideas and undercut whatever slice of market I created(which included skeleton Store). So I decided to start protecting my images and videos. Then I see someone who knew who I was and knew that was not Ed & Marsha's garden take my video? They had a choice between about 10 videos of the prop. some of those videos had my dog in it, others had me in it. There was a link to my Ebay store on the description. In the description I indicate I worked all day long shooting videos. I indicate I've been a home haunter for 25+ years. How is this Distortions Unlimited? Btw thanks to those who have added their experience. There are a lot of very talented people on these boards who share tutorials and or the props they create, many of which are quite unique. Some of us protect our creations and we do so for a reason. As ridiculous as it was to suggest someone could have mistaken my product video for a Distortions video, it is equally absurd to suggest they couldn't figure out my contact information. A little correction from above, Frightprops did not remove the video. Youtube removed the video from publication after I filed a DMCA notice. All Frightprops did was remove the embedded HTML from their website. Why according to what Youtube is indicating to me if I were to remove the claim the video on Youtube Frightprops uploaded would be restored. That is according to them not me. They also seem to indicate 2 videos were taken but don't specify as to which videos and or if they were mine. I've sold a lot of Halloween props over the years and at Home Haunter friendly prices. I also built a solid reputation for correcting problems which wasn't always easy. Selling Halloween props has become a headache. I was a Home Haunter long before I was a seller. After I literally lynched Frozen Elsa(what a headache selling those costumes)at my Home Haunt I was back to where I was. My custom props fascinated trick or treaters as I made them walk up a path of Corpseheads. Not only children but adults loved it. Some of the kids were disappointed Michael Myers didn't show up(I went as a devil). Some I sat there in a chair exhausted at the top of my home haunt(mostly from twirling a 36" blade broad sword in my hands)and was getting sick of the prosthetic mask glued to my face so I tore it off. Ahhhh I thought. Got something to eat, pizza and some wine and then reflected. Next thing you know I'm headed into the house and I put on my black coveralls, Michael Myers mask and took the dog for a walk! LOL Then I returned kind of disappointed no cars crashed into parked ones. So I sat back down. My dog went to go finish her bone or something. Now sipping on a beer I look down the street and in the shadows some young kids are about to start walking home. I put my mask back on and sat there motionless. They passed and as they did the Lunging Werewolf Ebay refused to ship to Australia activated. The youngest of the bunch looked back and then pointed and screamed, "Look it's Michael Myers"!!!! They all ran over about 6-10 of them and wanted to shake my hand and thanked me for my work over the years(Ha!). I gave them extra candy and they went home. That's me, Urban Spaceman. I've had other copyright issues(one of my songs bootlegged millions of times no compensation/pirate bay/file sharing) over the years as I dabble in music and frankly I'm sick and tired of getting the shaft.

·
Registered
112 Posts
We have acknowledged these concerns and attempted to resolve these issues with both of you. Rather than defend our business decisions on a message board in an effort to make us look "right" while attacking your reputations and publicly labeling you as "wrong", we'd prefer that these matters were handled privately and directly. We can be reached at [email protected].

We've worked hard to establish and maintain a reputation of fairness and reasonability in this industry. It's a huge reason why we've been fortunate enough to be in business for 12 years. If these posts have raised any concerns as to the quality of our characters and you wish to hear our side of these situations, we'd be happy to explain our understanding of these conflicts to any interested parties.

-Drew

·
Banned
186 Posts
Wrong? My video was registered with the Copyright Office before publication. I am as right gets. I exercised those rights by filing a DMCA take down notice which is a public effort to correct an incredible wrong. That was my video and you told the world it was yours. The public needed to know that was not the case. That is my legal rights and obligation as any number of persons could have downloaded the video you uploaded and carried on the charade. You publicized the video on several platforms. Ignorance is no excuse here. Not knowing who owned the video isn't germane to the situation. Are you actually trying to suggest fair use? There isn't anything to explain you broke th law.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Wrong. You have done absolutely nothing to resolve the issue of selling illegal copies of my skull model. The only respectable resolution is to stop selling illegally made products. It not only damages your reputation but the industry as whole. When excuses are made to defend your wrong doing it only compounds your unethical business practices.

·
Banned
186 Posts
If you registered the copyright you could ask the courts to file an injunction against Frightprops which could include shutting down their website, destroying all infringing materials. When infringement exceeds $1000 criminal charges can be filed. Penalties are up to one year in jail plus damages.

·
Banned
186 Posts
It's D-Fense court tonight. If you have a gripe against Frightpros give me more details. I will dissect these tonight. I'm more familiar with the Skull Shoppe concern. fill me in on other concerns. We shall go live to tape as they say. Cavalier indeed. This is not so much to substantiate my own claim but rather than to perpetuate the collective assemblage that frightprops has a history of dispelling with the usual notion of credit when their bottom line and artificial integrity are concerned. I've rock the notion of many people's props. That is a given but the idea Frightprops owns those visions is the equivalent of someone dropping 10 hits of acid and suggesting they own the Floridian Atlantic coast... after such a winter I rather think not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just talked with a buddy of mine who contracted with Doug at Frightprops (the owner) to make some fake fire barrels for him. After making the units and shipping them to Doug, Frightprops refused to pay him! Doug told my buddy he could make them better and cheaper, and since my friend didn't have a patent - he could "screw off". If you like this kind of customer service, you will love Frightprops.

Sounds like just another day in business for Frightprops. Screw the little guy and dominate the market with advertising.

·
Banned
186 Posts
Got to get everything in writing. This includes contracts and copyright. When you do that, especially the latter you have considerable leverage. It doesn't matter how big they are when they violate a contract or worse federal law or both. I wonder if they realize had I used a copyright symbol on my video and they removed it, they would be facing felony charges. Since copyright symbols are not required(Only to make the theft look worse)it could easily be argued my logo was in effect a copyright notice. Frightprops removed my intended copyright notice. If I didn't care about someone taking it I would have 1 never registered the videos and 2 never added a logo that was elevated and touching the prop. As for contracts it's probably best to get them notarized. Simple verbal agreements don't hold much weight(if that was what it was). You meet together with a lawyer or with a notary. Sounds over the top but you'll find out real quick if your business partner is on the up and up. I have no agreements with Frightprops. I didn't even force them to admit in a public forum they committed willful copyright infringement. They did that presumably all on their own. All their reactions were not legal defenses. They were assumptions. Wickerman, indeed.
I just talked with a buddy of mine who contracted with Doug at Frightprops (the owner) to make some fake fire barrels for him. After making the units and shipping them to Doug, Frightprops refused to pay him! Doug told my buddy he could make them better and cheaper, and since my friend didn't have a patent - he could "screw off". If you like this kind of customer service, you will love Frightprops.

Sounds like just another day in business for Frightprops. Screw the little guy and dominate the market with advertising.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This entire thread is filled with absurd accusations. We have already posted that if you have a problem with FrightProps then why not contact us directly? We can't keep responding to wild untrue accusations in this thread.

Hauntfreaker: This is 100% untrue. I recall a person about 5 years ago wanting to sell us a simulated flame that sits in a barrel. We at no point purchased any from him nor did we make our own. I told the person that someone could simply set one of our off the shelf Chauvet simulated flames in a barrel so why would someone buy his super expensive version? I never heard back. And we never even bundled the Chauvet flame with a barrel.

Scourge: We never ripped off your skulls. As you are well aware and failed to mention in your post we purchase the talking skulls from a company in Canada. You have approached me at two tradeshows yelling (not talking, yelling) at me about this. Both times I have provided the contact information for the company in Canada and attempted to help you get this resolved. Yet you have never attempted to contact them.. For all I know you copied the skull from someone else, because I know for sure I did not copy you. But regardless, I do not make the talking skulls and you should be directing your anger towards them and not me..

Hauntfreaker: Your "friend" with the handheld actor scare horns ripped me off for thousands of dollars, started selling to my competition and refuses to speak with me. We heavily promoted his products and could no longer get them so we made our own entirely different actor held horns. Please have him contact me as that is the way he should be handling his own business.

Spookmart: I have done everything possible to rectify what happened with this person yet they continue to harass us in this thread and youtube videos. We have saved ALL of his youtube videos that attack FrightProps including the ones he has posted in rage and only left up for a few minutes. If anyone would like proof that this person is not rational you may e-mail me and i will let you listen to his threatening rants.

Thanks for listening, and please feel free to contact me at any time about anything.

Doug.
FrightProps, LLC

·
Registered
2 Posts
Doug Anderson from Frightprops, methinks thou doth protestesth too much.

My sister just told me about this thread, and said I should join this forum so I can put my two cents in.

As a former customer and competitor of Frightprops, I can say he is hands-down, one of the most unscrupulous and shady businessmen I have ever encountered.

As a customer of Frightprops for 5 years, I was treated as a nuisance and a burdon. When I received a broken item, Frightprops made me pay to ship it back. Doug told me "It wasn't broken when we packed it. You must have broken it, and now you are lying to get me to replace it".

When I received an order with a missing item, Doug told me "If you keep lying to me about missing items, I am going to stop selling to you".

And years later, as a vendor, competing with Doug, I got to enjoy an even darker side of Doug. I was threatened by Doug, verbally assaulted by Doug, and treated to many of Doug's underhanded business practices.

I used to sell pneumatic air cylinders and parts for DIY Halloween props. Doug told me that "Too many people were selling these items, and driving the prices down". He told me to "..stop selling these items, or else!"

I told him that competition was good for everyone. The customer gets a fair price and it keeps fresh ideas flowing.

He called Hobby Bots and blocked me from buying wholesale pneumatic parts. He used his clout as a big customer of theirs, to force them to choose between him or me.

I used to sell maestro controllers too. He made that company stop selling to me, or lose him as a client. The irony is, years later, I see he doesn't even sell Maestros anymore! He moved on to picoboo controllers. he probably threw Meastro by the wayside too.

He did the same thing with other products I sold, bullying my wholesalers until they had no choice but to refuse selling to me, until I finally gave up.

It sucked giving in to Doug. It sucked because as a Halloween customer and buyer for haunts - I know that competition is good for everyone. And as an American, I know that Dictators generally suck, and Doug is an out of control Dictator.

-Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
One more thing - Although I have been out of the business for a few years, I am fairly certain the mystery "company in Canada" that is making the ripped-off talking skulls for Scourge is picoboo. I think their name is Frightideas. It sounds so similar to Frightprops doesn't it? Their websites even look the same. Magento Go anyone?

I just find it funny that Doug is acting like he doesn;t even know who this mystery Canadian company is, when he is their exclusive dealer of their props! LOL!

Scourge: We never ripped off your skulls. As you are well aware and failed to mention in your post we purchase the talking skulls from a company in Canada. You have approached me at two tradeshows yelling (not talking, yelling) at me about this. Both times I have provided the contact information for the company in Canada and attempted to help you get this resolved. Yet you have never attempted to contact them.. For all I know you copied the skull from someone else, because I know for sure I did not copy you. But regardless, I do not make the talking skulls and you should be directing your anger towards them and not me..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts