Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a very big fan of horror movies. I've been a big fan since I was able to work the VCR. I taped every late night piece of schlock I could get my hands on and then I'd watch them over and over again.

In the world of horror movies, when a new film makes a sizable impact on the movie-watching community sequels are inevitably going to follow. We live in a capitalistic society. Film execs love to capitalize on popularity. They'll do it so much that they'll run a concept into the ground defacing just about any strength and validity that the originator of the cult following had. We've seen this time and time again and I'm sure we'll see it, at least...once more?

Two series of horror films have been produced over the past couple of decades based on the strengths of their first forays into movie making that being the Friday the 13th movies (of which their are 10 not including the redux that's currently being made) and the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise (of which their are 7 not including the redux that's currently being made [is there an echo in here?]). There is also a single movie that pits the two antagonists from the different franchises against each other, 2003's Freddy vs. Jason.

I'd like to know from you, which series was better? Not which bad guy was better, which series was better? I personally appreciate the Nightmare movies more than the 13th movies because I found them to be more creative, visually engrossing and entertaining in a campy and not-so-serious kind of way. They new that they were camp and they didn't try to rise above that station. Freddy's little quips and facial expressions really made them fun movies. What do you think?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Nightmare on Elm Street all the way. Freddy is so much creepier than Jason. Plus Jason only kills in Camp Crystal Lake where with Freddy all you have to do is fall asleep and you're gone.

Plus Robert Englund is such a fox lol

·
livin Halloween every day
1,988 Posts
Nightmare on elm street gets my vote hands down. Friday the 13th are fun to watch to get in a halloween type mood but to me they are going on far too long. Plus i just think freddy is much cooler.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nightmare on Elm Street all the way. Freddy is so much creepier than Jason. Plus Jason only kills in Camp Crystal Lake where with Freddy all you have to do is fall asleep and you're gone.

Plus Robert Englund is such a fox lol
um,i think you wanna re-think that about Jason killing in just Crystal Lake, he killed outside of crystal lake, remember Jason Takes Manhattan, Jason X, remember those, it was outside of crystal lake, so technically he did not only kill in Crystal Lake, but in Manhattan and Outer Space.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It would depend on what you are looking for in a Horror flick -
The Friday the 13th franchise has always been my favorite of the two, I enjoy the Nightmare on Elm Street series as well, but after the 1st few, Freddy became more of a one liner gong show reject. If you don't mind your Horror with a heaping helping of cheese, (think Army of Darkness) then the Elm St. movies are for you.
If you like your Horror taken a littlle more "seriously", then Fri. the 13th is more of what you're llooking for.

Truth be told: you really can't go wrong with the either of these movies, so long as you only stick to the early stuff in my opinion...

:)

·
The Grim Reaper
921 Posts
Freddy was always my favorite, I prefered the killing with a sense of humor as opposed to some big silent dude lumbering around butchering people. The ways of killing were more creative, and Robert Englund did a great job of acting like someone that truly enjoyed killing.

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
That's a serious tough one.

It's hard to beat the first couple of Friday the 13th movies, as far as the spooky factor goes. But Nightmare on Elm Street was ridiculously scary to me as a kid.

I'd have to go with the Friday the 13th movies though.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got to go with FT13th. Like someone mentioned earlier, just the overall feel for the movie was more "Scarier" if you will. Now, I enjoyed both series for various reasons, I think both series went dow the toilet after the 3rd installment of each. *Shrug*

·
Registered
1 Posts
I go with FT13th because Freddy lost it's flavor after the first two pretty much. Though I would say that the first NOES gives the first FT13th a run for it's money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts