Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gettting a little sick of all this DAMN WIND. Last night i checked everything before hurrican Grace blew in last night and everything looked secured. There was one tombstone that was not secureing properly so i pulled that one out of the ground and left it in the garage. I had 8 on display when i went to bed. When i got for work this morning i had 2. The rest were all over my neighbors yards and in the street. Thank god i live on a culdisac and there is not a lot of car traffic. Luckily everything else managed to survive the storm. It looks like this weekend is going to be a tombstone overhaul weekend.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
Yup,I am west of you and it blew pretty good out here in farm country.I had minimal damage just need to reattatch and adjust a few small things.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
I too got tired of the winds. Since I've convered everything to plywood backings (1/2" - 3/4", not thin sheets!) with pvc slid onto rebar pounded into the ground has been working very well for me. Yeah it makes the props a lot heavier, but I think that helps, even in 50 mph winds. I have more branches fall from the trees than I have issues with props. My problems are the props I hang under the house eve or on the side on the house that get twisted up. Everything I have out so far (not a whole lot) survived yesterdays winds! :)

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking at teh glass half full right. I look at it like this. Now my old props have some aging done to them for free. All i need to do is just touch them up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
oh crap Im east of you and that wind is coming my way ...........ty for the heads up ...I think the tobstones should come in tonight..lol

·
Registered
238 Posts
It was pretty windy in New York last night too...two of my stones tipped over (meaning I'll have to redesign my means of sticking them in the ground), and a few lighter things blew around the yard. Nothing compared to what you all had to deal with, but enough that I was nervous about it all night!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm in Joliet, and my stuff did not budge, even with the 45Mph or so we had.

I have these hot glued and duck-taped (black, of course) to the back of my stones......

·
Registered
119 Posts
At walmart in the cooking utensil department, they sell these metal skewers for like 4 for a dollar. They are about 16 inches long with a loop at the end. I have had good luck using those and fishing line to secure things. I just stick them far into the ground at an angle, then tie the fishing line to the loop at the end.

They are great with rope lights at too, you can leave several inches sticking up and create a wavy effect.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
My props aren't done yet, so I was very, very happy that I had not put anything out. The wind was horrendous. I'm really hoping the weather calms soon.

·
Registered
313 Posts
its 2:38 P.M. and I just got home to find all my standing props taking a nap.....(must be union workers)...........anyway I stood them all back up just to have them all go down again........so I went out and did an ol yeller...I laid them down on my terms.......so now everyone is laying down ,getting ready for the gail force winds we are having ............wish me luck ........

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
Hey Big Nick, sorry to hear about the winds in your area. I remember your yard from last year with the tall crosses/scarecrows. Nice to see you have a good attitude about the weather. Are you sticking with the same theme or changing it up this year? I loved your yard last year.

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Big Nick, sorry to hear about the winds in your area. I remember your yard from last year with the tall crosses/scarecrows. Nice to see you have a good attitude about the weather. Are you sticking with the same theme or changing it up this year? I loved your yard last year.
Thanks! I am keeping the same theme this year. Only i will not have my scarecrow. I sold him a few weeks ago to another home haunter. Other than that I still have the Giant Crosses with Copsed buckys on them. I am adding some new elements to this years haunt like my resident evil Dog, 2 grave diggers (static), 5 new tombstones, and a ground breaking Bucky Torso. Thanks again for the compliments. I'll be sure to post up new pictures of the yard when its all up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I tell ya folks....get some of these heavy duty metal things like I posted above. We had 45mph winds, and nothing moved......:D

·
1031 Props
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Work blocks a lot of the pictures that people post, but i'll be sure to check it out when i get home.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Aye, that wind was fierce last night. I live a couple miles north of you BigNick in Lake Zurich. My house is in just the right spot to get the full force of that dang wind from the west. Thankfully only minor repairs were needed and non of my tombstones blew away. I'm glad you recovered all your stuff tho!

·
crossfit zombie
7,558 Posts
windy today here 20 plus winds.So far knock on wood only the target tombstones have blew over and one of my hand made ones.I used wooden dowels for most and some stands hubby made with tent stakes sucuring them.I did pull my witch off her stand to lower the chances of her blowing over.Wind sucks!

·
Registered
393 Posts
My cemetery gate blew over a second time yesterday. I actually saw it happen this time. I was walking out of my garage just as it toppled over and CRASHED. More significant damage this time. A weld on a lantern failed and now I need to get that fixed.

This picture was taken just before the wind started really blowing:

WHAM! After it toppled:

As a temporary fix, I've driven in some wooden stakes and secured to the back of the columns, but I think I'm going to need to glue some PVC on the inside corners and drive in some rebar. I took off the triangle topper for the rest of the day because it probably would have just blown the whole thing over again. It acts like a giant sail.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the ideas to secure the tombstones.
Mine get trashed every year from our "Santa Ana's" we get in fall.
We really don't get a fall here Just wind and wildfires.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts