Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a cool sign that I wanted to place above my food table at our Halloween party. I then noticed that it was $129! This looks easy enough to mimic with styrofoam and a few supplies. This sign says it is latex but wasn't sure how to make it look like wood grain using latex. I know I can make the styrofoam look like wood grain. My idea is to have a thin wood backing to the styrofoam, carve the wood grain, rough up the edges, paint, add the plastic chain and pvc couplings for the clasps. Maybe I could find plastic u-bolt like pieces to attach the chain to the styrofoam. The arms can be had for about $3-$5 each. I should be able to make this for less than $20.

Here is the link where I first saw it: Free Food Sign

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cool looking prop, and I agree this could be built for a lot less than the asking price.

If you're going to have a wood backing why not just use real u-bolts? You might have to cut some of the length off them, but that should be to difficult.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I was at Party City a couple days ago and decided to just buy the arms there for instant gratification.

Here is what I have so far with this project.

Purchased at HomeDepot
(2) Blank Cover (electrical, gray) $.54 ea
Rectangular notch cut out of middle
(2) 1/2" Plastic Conduit Clamp $.10 ea
I bought a bag of 25 for $2.47 since
I will need them for other projects
I think a bag of 5 is about $1.00
(2) 2" Coupling (electrical, gray) $.40 ea
I bought 1 (electrical, gray) ([email protected]$.80) and
cut it in half to make two couplings
(2) About 13" of chain for each shackle $.72 ea
I bought #8 15' for $9.87 (all they had)
that is about $.66/ft
Purchased at PartyCity
(2) Severed Arms $6.97 ea
I can't recall for sure but these might have be $7.97
If you want you could purchase the arm that already has
a shackle and chain for $9.99 but they didn't have any
at my Party City. Here is the link to them online: Bloody Butcher Arm

That puts the grand total so far (less paint and styrofoam) at $18.90 (including tax). Far from the retail of $129 for the original prop.

The blank covers will have a rectangular hole cut and the clamps placed in them. I just didn't want to pay $3 for each one so I made them for $.64 each. I have other projects that require a chain to attach.

If you buy the ready-made one instead you can omit the Chain and Coupling above. It is about $3.50 more this way but no painting or assembly required (except where the chain attaches to the sign) and I think the hand looks better

I still have to get the styrofoam but I don't have my truck anymore so it isn't as easy to get a 4x8 piece. Where is everyone getting the 2"
pieces? Here in Texas at HD and Lowes I only have access to 1/2", 3/4" and I think 1" which requires spray adhesive to make them thicker.

I will post more as I get further along with this project.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Home depot is the only place I have ever seen the 2" pink foam at, what you could do is make a small backing structure out of a cheapo craft plywood board from lowes/HD and just glue the 3/4" styrofoam to that. I actually may take up this project too as I've been looking for something to do lately.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,076 Posts
Cool project so far!

As far as getting any foam in 2" thickness... you're in TX, so you'll not be able to find any unless you special order for big $$$.

You could try to use the white bead foam, but your best bet is to glue a few thickness' worth of the 3/4 inch together.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I "hear" it is as HD but have never seen it. Maybe I will have to special order (if it is worth the price).

My plan was to add a thin piece of wood to the back no matter what thickness of foam I use. Maybe like that brown masonite board (like pegboard without the pegs).

·
Registered
340 Posts
How about using some old fencing for wood? You'll get a solid and durable wood prop that you can use hardware on.

Every year I search out the area and craigslist for people replacing their old wood fence and ask if I can have it. I get some crazy looks but nobodys said no yet! You can get that 'real aged wood look' from some real aged wood :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah you could do actual wood fencing, then just woodburn the lettering into the fencepost, wouldn't be too bad.
Not a bad idea for some but for me the problem would be the weight. I want something lightweight that can be hung on a wall without having to put nails in my wall. Unless it has to be durable I prefer foam but to each his own. If you go that route be sure to post pics to this thread.

I have found a potential supplier for foam bead board that I am gonna check on. They have broken pieces also that may work for me. The 2" 4x8 pieces are about $15 a sheet so the broken pieces should be less. Since I can't find 2" at HD/Lowes this is a great option for me if it works out. HD sells the 3/4" (maybe 1") for about $10 so this is a deal if you need the whole sheet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, I have way too many projects besides the Halloween projects and they have been keeping me busy. Finally I have been able to make some progress with this sign. I still have to paint the faux wood and carve the "Free Food" in it so I am very close to being finished.

Here are a few pics of my progress. The rest of the pics are on my website at:
Free Food Sign Pics

The rest of the pics are on my website at:
Free Food Sign Pics

1 - 19 of 19 Posts