Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a post from 2011 that told me about a trailer sales place that had free blocks of foam and gave the name and number. I called them yesterday to ask if they had any and if they cared if I would take some. They did and did not care less.

Here is my load
IMG_2360.jpg

The easiest thing I could think of to make with these is some tombstones. I have the base of a obelisk and then another one started. They are glued together with great stuff because some of the blocks are a little worn and will not lay perfectly flat on each other. I'll let them dry for a day or so and then work on the next step. Not sure if I want to monster mud them or paper mache them.... any suggestions is welcomed!
IMG_2362.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg

Any ideas for the other blocks is very welcome! Note: I am working on a graveyard this year for my theme

·
Registered
229 Posts
DSCN0488.jpg Glad to see I'm not the only one using this stuff... I get mine from Lowes and a local trailer company out here in MT. It works well enough if you don't mind the little beads as it breaks down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. How did you do your lettering? I've done lettering with high density insulating foam but not this cheaper stuff.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Same way as the High density stuff... Dremel, it just makes a slightly bigger mess. I use the router attachment and the standard cutting bit. I don't worry about routing bits because either way the stuff is getting cut to the proper shape and size with out much trouble.

I do tend to use a heat gun on it afterwards to harden the surface. but I suppose you could do it first. Might make some of the details easier to cut.

·
"KAT IN THE HAT"
546 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
556Boyer: Do you know what the original purpose of the foam was? How did the company use it? I'd love to find some but I should know what I'm asking for :)

·
"KAT IN THE HAT"
546 Posts
I think its the year of free foam! Another HF member found some, I got some of the blue stuff too! Now hurry the rest of you! Everyone is slacking off! :D
We here at the forum are the BEST recycling program out there, if it is ugly, hideous, and landfill worthy, we will reclaim it! recycle it! and make it bone yard worthy!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kaster - you never know who will walk in your door! A fair warning is all I can give haha

Note - I am a gunsmith :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
556Boyer: Do you know what the original purpose of the foam was? How did the company use it? I'd love to find some but I should know what I'm asking for :)
It was used as some sort of packing for shipping cargo trailers. I honestly do not know where exactly it was used though.

·
"KAT IN THE HAT"
546 Posts
Kaster - you never know who will walk in your door! A fair warning is all I can give haha

Note - I am a gunsmith :p
I need to make a mat that says "Warning To Trespassers...My Dog Will Pee On Your Feet" she is an excitable little Jack Russell she jumps up to be pet and as they pet her she is peeing on their feet. All the postal workers have been tinkled on and they all keep their feet at a distance when delivering packages. hehehe!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Odd that I read this post early this morning and happened to drive by a pile of it at a small flea market. Of course, there was no one around today because of the rain, but I plan to ask about it the next time I find someone there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts