Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I found out that I have access to a lot of pallets for free thanks to a few businesses nearby. I'm looking forward to getting them in spring for a few projects. I also get a lot of free boxes from work too.

So the question is what do you have free access to that you can use for Halloween?

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Good idea for a thread, Sidnami. I have found free wooden crates on the side of the road. Also, old chairs, and other furniture that could be used for a haunt scene. There are all kinds of free things like that on Craigs List if you spend some time looking and can get there fast.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,056 Posts
Working at a recycling paper mill I find shloads of great stuff. Foam, rope, spools, pallets - all kinds of "junk" finds it's way in on the trucks with all the newspapers and boxes. One of the big bonuses is that a lot of the cardboard comes from local stores and often has discarded merchandise mixed in. So that means after Halloween we will sometimes find props and decorations mixed in. Same with Christmas! I've found everything from hand tools to dvds to jewelry and money mixed in with the paper that comes in. Unfortunately I moved up the ladder and I'm now at the opposite end of the mill. I do get to scrounge still from time to time though. Oh, and those Sonotubes everyone is so fond of for trees and columns. The company I work for (Sonoco) makes them too. I worked at a different plant a few years back and was on one of the machines that produced them. :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a friend who cleans houses for a real estate agency. She often finds things for me, usually piles of fabrics. Free curtains, draping, costumes! Love it.
I have people drop things off as well, old dolls (creepy), chairs, lamps, chain link, all kinds of odd things.
Cheap is good, free is better!

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,791 Posts
I am very fortunate to work for a very large dental distribution company. The most recent gift I received from one of our supliers was 16 8" pneumatic cylinders. Over the years this company has given me well over 25 cylinders of various sizes. The next great freebies I receive are electric motors. As dental offices turn to digital xrays they no longer have a need for film processors, and our technicians will remove the old processors and l will strip out the motors. More foam than I can imagine, pallets, galore and some great technical help if I get stuck with anything. A little over a year ago I received a huge case of denture teeth.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
My hubby can bring home dremel bits,duct tape,cardboard tubes,wood crates+boards of all sizes. He's learned to grab anything and repurpose it!

·
Registered
502 Posts
You'd think working at a tool store I'd get access to all kinds of free stuff for building props, but sadly that isn't the case. I never have to buy bubble wrap, though, as we get plenty of free clean bubble wrap every time we get a truck. Helps for the reaper festivities....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts