Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already thinking about my theme for 2020. Does anyone have suggestions on making freak show posters. I found some on Etsy, but they are so expensive. I like the vintage ones like the bearded lady, strongman, the sword swallower, and the smallest couple. Not really familar with Photoshop.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,537 Posts
Try Art.com

Beistle has some repros:

Etsy also has a few sellers that will sell you a digital image so you can print your own (sizes vary of course). I just searced "side show poster" & looked for the digital image ones, here's a few:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try Art.com

Beistle has some repros:

Etsy also has a few sellers that will sell you a digital image so you can print your own (sizes vary of course). I just searced "side show poster" & looked for the digital image ones, here's a few:

Thank you, I will look into these!:)

1,231 Posts
We did our own and in fact made some for one of our reaper victims as well. Used a coupon for Harbor Freight for a canvas drop cloth. Cut into thirds. Used another coupon for the small Harbor Freight paint sprayer. Mixed leftover paint to colors I wanted, water it down per sprayers instructions. Projected some borrowed from the net some actual freaks poster and spent a couple of evenings having fun making them and adding touches that make them personal. One of a few in our albums banner 2

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did a freakshow theme this past year and made a bunch of the vintage posters myself. I didn't need them to be waterproof and they didn't have to be perfect since they were higher up. I printed them out using blockposters and glued them to foamboard from hobby lobby. I was able to then just nail them into the wall with a thin one-inch nail in each corner.

I change my theme every year, so I didn't want to spend a ton of money making them. (I made 6 medium and 3 large). I went to FedEx for printing, which for me was 65 cents per color sheet. So between $5-$9 for each poster. Then $4 per foamboard brings it to a nice neat total of under $15 per poster. I spent less than $100 on all of them, when everywhere I looked it would have been that much for just one as large as I wanted it to be. Even Zazzle would have cost 2-3 times what I paid to do it myself. I think it all depends on if you want it on fabric or just a poster will do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Already thinking about my theme for 2020. Does anyone have suggestions on making freak show posters. I found some on Etsy, but they are so expensive. I like the vintage ones like the bearded lady, strongman, the sword swallower, and the smallest couple. Not really familar with Photoshop.
I bought files off Etsy and printed at Office Depot.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,833 Posts
You can pick up large canvas art pretty cheap at thrift stores. Paint over it with white gesso paint and you have a blank canvas. If you have an exact piece of art, you can project it onto the canvas to draw the image. These are freehand work in progress. The canvas had foam figures glued to the canvas and I was up for a craft challenge. Still need to add a foot to the vampire and I want her hand holding a severed head. They are painted in black light paint and are 2'x3'.

·
Registered
197 Posts
These are fantastic! You just adapted the foam figures and made them your own creation??

You can pick up large canvas art pretty cheap at thrift stores. Paint over it with white gesso paint and you have a blank canvas. If you have an exact piece of art, you can project it onto the canvas to draw the image. These are freehand work in progress. The canvas had foam figures glued to the canvas and I was up for a craft challenge. Still need to add a foot to the vampire and I want her hand holding a severed head. They are painted in black light paint and are 2'x3'. View attachment 727696

·
Registered
197 Posts
You can also find an image you like, have it printed on a transparency page (office max and depot do this), and use an overhead projector to project it onto a foam Board or plywood etc and paint it on. That will take more time than some of the other suggestions. I found an overhead projector for free on Craigs list!

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,833 Posts
Yep, they were plain (just the foam, not even a drawn face) dancers with a tacky 80s pink, blue, green background. When I saw them I just had to buy them. Looks fab in black light.

These are fantastic! You just adapted the foam figures and made them your own creation??

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,833 Posts
Original artwork - Another piece of advice, if you find a big canvas art and it has a tear in it, pick it up. Take a piece of coffee filter and some glue on the back side for an easy fix. It's a Halloween prop so the canvas doesn't have to be perfect.

Yep, they were plain (just the foam, not even a drawn face) dancers with a tacky 80s pink, blue, green background. When I saw them I just had to buy them. Looks fab in black light.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did a freakshow theme this past year and made a bunch of the vintage posters myself. I didn't need them to be waterproof and they didn't have to be perfect since they were higher up. I printed them out using blockposters and glued them to foamboard from hobby lobby. I was able to then just nail them into the wall with a thin one-inch nail in each corner.

I change my theme every year, so I didn't want to spend a ton of money making them. (I made 6 medium and 3 large). I went to FedEx for printing, which for me was 65 cents per color sheet. So between $5-$9 for each poster. Then $4 per foamboard brings it to a nice neat total of under $15 per poster. I spent less than $100 on all of them, when everywhere I looked it would have been that much for just one as large as I wanted it to be. Even Zazzle would have cost 2-3 times what I paid to do it myself. I think it all depends on if you want it on fabric or just a poster will do.
What a great website, thank you!

·
Registered
136 Posts
We did a circus theme Halloween display at work a couple years ago. We decided to include some work-themed sideshow posters. I found a few high-enough-res poster images online that was I was able to alter them and insert my own content.
I also found this guy, and liked his vintage style and commissioned him to do a couple.
Paintings and SIDESHOW Art
His rates for custom digital files were pretty reasonable, and he was willing to sell some of his existing ones too. We have a poster printer at work, so it was pretty easy to get it all complete.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts