Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I made the Frau a couple years ago with the concept of developing a very maternal, creepy image. She was built over a pvc armature with cloth soaked in latex paint as her robe and and an old bedsheet soaked in watered down glue and coffee for her dress. The head is a urethane skull corpsed with latex and pantyhose.

Please see my blog for additional pictures and the backstory.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,855 Posts
That is truly amazing.

It creeps me out more than a typical grim reaper ever would.

Wonderful job and fantastic concept - just perfect.

·
Registered
591 Posts
please give a little more detail on the clothing part I'm doing a new reaper this year and those clothes is the look I want to do.also I have wanted to do your rising spirits for awhile but the how to I saw seemed vague how about a detailed how to please.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
please give a little more detail on the clothing part I'm doing a new reaper this year and those clothes is the look I want to do.also I have wanted to do your rising spirits for awhile but the how to I saw seemed vague how about a detailed how to please.

The dress: an old ecru colored bed sheet. I made a mixture of white glue and coffee to soak the fabric in, then draped it over the front of the pvc/ chickenwire armature. All the folds and ripples are fairly stiff and hold their shape, but are not rock hard like monster mud.

The robe: I used a grey fabric that I scrounged from a furniture warehouse ( it is used as sofa packaging by many manufacturers...I highly reccomend making friends with your local furniture dealer to get access to this stuff). I dry fitted it over the figure, cutting the fabric into the shape I wanted, then dipped it into latex house paint until soaked...draped it on the figure and let it dry. It is stiff and holds it shape, but again is not as hard or as heavy as monster mud. The paint acts as a weather sealant to the fabric, also...it has held up to 2 seasons displayed in the elements and still looks great.

I'll put something together for the rising spirits in a separate post.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Awesome work Dave.
I love props with a story behind the character, and this one works on many levels.

Your blog site is pretty damn awesome as well. Just spent over an hour poring over it. Your creative writing is fantastic and really helps to bring out the best in your work.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Oh WOW! What a terrific take on a cemetery you have. Haunting, beautiful and terrifying as hell! Sid is the scariest hearse driver I've ever seen! You are right up there with PumpkinRot and Terror Syndicate with your super-scary monsters.

LOVE. YOUR. WORK!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys...the blog is new for me and i am slowly getting it filled up with my old characters. The stories I add are almost as fun for me as making the props, and really helps to think of details that might otherwise get missed.

Thanks for your comments, and thanks for checking out the site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts