Halloween Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new user. I think I signed up here before but the system must have booted me.

Last weeks' "Svengoolie" was the 1931 Frankenstein with 2 previously removed scenes restored. That got me interested in the historical aspect which led to internet searches. I went WAY down the rabbit hole and found out Spirit had issued a full-sized Frankenstein's Monster in 2011. A search on eBay revealed there are still a few around, but the selling prices from completed auctions are sky high and way above the original $299, with one fetching $800 o_O. Just for the heck of it I searched craigslist and I'll be if there wasn't one listed about an hour and a half from me. Gently used with the original box...for $80! The ad had been up for a month so not much faith it was still available, but I emailed anyway and after several hours of sweating...they responded that they still had it! I committed to the purchase and set a time to pick it up the next day.

He works and looks great, and will be in our front porch window. I have a medieval castle interior photography backdrop ordered that should be here tomorrow and have built a PVC frame to support it. Still working out lighting, but will hopefully have him up and photo-worthy by Saturday at the latest.

I wish I could find the entire Universal Monster catalog in life-sized animatronics. I would rethink my entire front display.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Hey all, new user. I think I signed up here before but the system must have booted me.

Last weeks' "Svengoolie" was the 1931 Frankenstein with 2 previously removed scenes restored. That got me interested in the historical aspect which led to internet searches. I went WAY down the rabbit hole and found out Spirit had issued a full-sized Frankenstein's Monster in 2011. A search on eBay revealed there are still a few around, but the selling prices from completed auctions are sky high and way above the original $299, with one fetching $800 o_O. Just for the heck of it I searched craigslist and I'll be if there wasn't one listed about an hour and a half from me. Gently used with the original box...for $80! The ad had been up for a month so not much faith it was still available, but I emailed anyway and after several hours of sweating...they responded that they still had it! I committed to the purchase and set a time to pick it up the next day.

He works and looks great, and will be in our front porch window. I have a medieval castle interior photography backdrop ordered that should be here tomorrow and have built a PVC frame to support it. Still working out lighting, but will hopefully have him up and photo-worthy by Saturday at the latest.

I wish I could find the entire Universal Monster catalog in life-sized animatronics. I would rethink my entire front display.
Awesome find. Cannot wait to see pictures of Frankie on your porch. As you mentioned Svengoolie, I have to wonder....do you live in Illinois?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow the stars were aligned for you on this one! That Frankie is awesome!!
thanks, and you ain't kidding! If I hadn't watched the movie and gotten geeked out on Frankenstein, I never would've even thought about it. What are the odds that there's one in my own backyard in this condition for that money? I felt a little bad about what I paid, but the lady who sold it said she was just happy it was going to a good home.

I am going to striaghten up the backdrop this weekend and post another shot from more straight on so the ceiling isn't visible. That would be more how one would see it from the sidewalk or street.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
thanks, and you ain't kidding! If I hadn't watched the movie and gotten geeked out on Frankenstein, I never would've even thought about it. What are the odds that there's one in my own backyard in this condition for that money? I felt a little bad about what I paid, but the lady who sold it said she was just happy it was going to a good home.

I am going to striaghten up the backdrop this weekend and post another shot from more straight on so the ceiling isn't visible. That would be more how one would see it from the sidewalk or street.
The seller was right, it did go to a good home and to someone that appreciates his greatness.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That is a great find and at that price.
$80 for any working gemmy is great.
Even none working!
I was expecting a scam,
Jerseyscare
I wasn't worried about a scam, but I was worried about the aesthetic condition. That was a 3+ hour round trip, I would've been pretty hot if it was a waste.

If it had turned out to be non-working I may have offered less. There isn't much opportunity for him to cycle they way he's displayed so non-working wouldn't have totally killed the deal. We can still demonstrate him by pushing the button but you can't hear him. If we have decent weather for Halloween I'll remove the windows so people can hear. Not sure where the sensor is, it's motion only so no idea if it will trigger with the glass removed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts