Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Here are some pictures of one of the Frankenstein Lab props that I made for our Haunted Barn. I made two of them and the other one, along with a wall panel unit, was used in the Lady Gaga music video "You and I" which was filmed in Springfield, NE. The prop has an adjustable-flow, 4 port air pump made for a 170 gallon aquarium which provides a nice rolling boil effect in the tubes. The lights are all LED bayonet base bulbs which light the indicator lights as well as the bubble tubes and the antique gauge. The unit has been aged to make the copper pipes and tube bases look corroded and the pedestal that the tubes set on is painted to resemble a slab of black marble. The rest of the unit has been aged to show rust, spills and leaks that would have occurred after years of use in the lab. I really enjoyed building this prop and I'm in the process of building other props for Frankenstein's Lab.

Some of you may have seen a similar prop on the web. The basic design of the prop is not mine, but my rendition of it. How the unit is built and finished is mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
That looks fantastic!! I have saved pics of another one that was very similar and now I have a second set to enjoy!!
If you don't mind telling us, could we get a basic tutorial with a parts list so some of us coud have a baseline to build our own?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bubbler Prop

Thanks to all for the positive comments about the Bubbler prop. Several of you have asked for a tutorial or info on building the unit. I am hesitant to provide that info because this particular prop is combining water and electricity and done improperly, it could have lethal consequences. I can't control the skill level of those attempting to build it and don't want to be even indirectly responsible if someone were to get hurt or worse.

If you really want one, let me know and perhaps I could build one for you.

[email protected]

·
Registered
256 Posts
Water Tower.jpg
This is my water bubbler prop. The tower is a water "tornado" lamp. They seem to be hard to find these days. It lacks distressing and finishing touches. How do you accomplish that corrosive look? Thanks for sharing. I love the detail.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Corroded Copper Effect

Nice Bubbler prop Mystic Manor! To get that corroded copper look on the tube base and top cap, you will need to first spray paint the black plastic with metallic copper spray paint. Be sure to mask all the rest of the prop so as to not get copper overspray on everything. Use a paint that is made to be used on plastic. I have a post on my Frankenstein Bubbler #2 that goes through the paints you will need. When it is aged and corroded to your liking, there are 2 more things you can do to really add some realism.

One is to use a tan colored brown paint, thin it down to almost a wash and carefully brush it on it a few places where dust would settle on it. Don't over do it.

Second, get some "Snow-Tex" by DecoArt or something similiar. It is used by craft painters for a snow effect and you might find it at Hobby Lobby or Michaels. Use it where you would suspect there would be some heavy corrosion like you see on battery connections on your car. Don't pat it down till it is smooth. You want it to have that sugary texture. Let it dry completely. Again, Don't Over Do It.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Awesome job i-Zombie! I love the whole display. You've done a great job with the fine details. As for a tutorial, a simple disclaimer about your concerns and any potential problems will alleviate your liability.
Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I second (or third) the request for a tutorial. Your detail is fantastic, as is the craftsmanship!

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Thanks to all for the positive comments about the Bubbler prop. Several of you have asked for a tutorial or info on building the unit. I am hesitant to provide that info because this particular prop is combining water and electricity and done improperly, it could have lethal consequences. I can't control the skill level of those attempting to build it and don't want to be even indirectly responsible if someone were to get hurt or worse.

If you really want one, let me know and perhaps I could build one for you.

[email protected]
I love both of your bubblers. You did an outstanding job on both the concept and the effects. And I really appreciate your concern for everyone's safety and your reluctance to provide a how-to, but if everyone felt that way we would have no tutorials. Almost every prop build involves the use of power tools, sharp objects, electricity, or chemicals that could pose a danger to any one who is not experienced. I don't care if you choose not to share your secrets, but please don't do it based on your opinion of anyone else's intelligence level. I don't want to come off sounding rude, but I find that insulting. I am perfectly capable of deciding if a prop build is over my head. With that being said, I do look forward to seeing what other amazing creations you come up with. Thank you for sharing this.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts