Halloween Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Grand WaZoo
843 Posts
The manufacturer name is rubbed off of the glass, there’s no logos. There’s some numbers and a part name on the bottom but that brings nothing up like this
View attachment 728400
View attachment 728401
The capacitors are 800 Micro Micro Farads whish is 800 Pico Farads if my memory isn't completely gone and the WVDC is Working Volts Direct Current which in this case is 500 VDC each. As someone has already pointed out they are part of voltmeter for measuring very high voltage DC.

A word of advice before you go messing around with building Jacobs ladders and such do some reading up on them because you can very easily fry yourself. I've built them out very high voltage transformers the kind you can find in some old oil furnaces that uses it for firing the igniter in them. Theoretically I suppose you could use this to build a Jacobs ladder but you would need a transformer that puts out much more then 2000 volts at the secondary to get the spark to jump such a large gap and good luck on finding one. Even if you did find one and made it work it would be extremely dangerous so you would have to isolate this prop from anyone getting near it.

My worthless advice is to do as someone else said and figure out if you can open them up and wire them with some pulsating LED lights. Or better make yourself maybe a couple hundred dollars and sell it on ebay, check it out, a working device that uses these tubes cost nearly $2K so your bound to get some fool to give you a 100 bucks or more for the cool factor. If you ignor my advice and get zapped by 2000VAC, with it even being in millamps I want you to write back to us all and tell us how it felt as the current traveled from one arm through your body and down and out your other arm. Please, don't ask me how I know this! o_O

·
Registered
461 Posts
I would take the pictures and post them on Reddit. Someone there is bound to know what it is.

It's more or less already been determined what it is.

I think we have moved onto whether SeinfeldKramer is going to do something cool, or do something that will kill himself. 😁

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have doubts about using this to make any electrical arcs. They aren't configured correctly to make a Jacob's ladder. And even just generating a high-voltage arch by connecting the metal balls at the end, by just connecting from below seems doubtful. It may be best to try to fake the electrical arcs. If you have some bright LED strips situated directly behind the glass part, you might simulate electricity arching inside the glass. Another approach is to do the same idea of using the LED strip, but putting it between the two metal balls, though that is harder to do, and make it 100% convincing. Distance makes it easier to make the simulated arc feel real, but you have such a great looking authentic item, it is worth keeping it close to the audience, so they can see it in detail.

Seeing some of the prices for these units, you might be able to sell it for much more than you paid, and use the profit to do other cool stuff. Though, if yours is no-working, it may make the price much lower.

-Joe

·
Registered
226 Posts
(~1975) Our neighnbor would put a Frankenstein outside his door, along with an (unshielded) arching effect. Still remember the sound and smell of it. He also would sit inside and using a microphone/amp with speakers outside to talk to the visitors (looking out the window). Precious memory!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a vague idea what that might be a cast off from, its a super cool find.

I want to stress here for people not to "toy" with electricity, even an old flash cube can kill.

I built jacobs ladders years back when i found lots of old huge neon transformers from my clubs 70s light show,
I never got bit but a friend and bouncer got bit and burnt trying to ham it up ligting his cig in the arc, he lived but it was very scary.

We have far too many modern very safe yet stunning ways to create lightening arcing effects than to mess with killers.

Cheers
b

21 - 28 of 28 Posts