Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased this amazing piece. I have no idea what it is called or what it was used for. I couldn’t pass it up though. I have plans on building a Jacobs ladder or some mad scientist Frankenstein prop with it eventually. If anyone could tell me what this is called or what it was used for I would appreciate it.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,913 Posts
I have no clue what that is other than wicked cool and sure to make an amazing prop!! Nice score. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever you decide to do with those, you HAVE to get some green and blue LEDs in those pronto!
I was hoping I could hook a transformer to it and see if it shoots sparks, but I don’t know what would happen. I don’t want it to explode on me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe this will help? I don't have time to poke through it right now.

Thanks. I looked through it, but I didn’t notice anything like it. I wondering now if it has to do with an X Ray machine. Some of the x ray tubes are similar but not dual sided. I hope it’s safe to be around

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
574 Posts
I've built my own Jacobs ladders, but that is something different. In order to get a spark to jump that gap it is going to have quite a big charge behind it. mine is only about 2-3" gap with a 2000V converter and I keep it inside a tube so no hands can get near it. Those are exposed. Looks wicked but could be hazardous... I LIKE IT!

After trying to find something similar, I've come up short. given the shape and the insulation, It reminds me of the top of a high voltage transformer, like you see on poles or in power stations. I doubt if it is meant to be a spark gap.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've built my own Jacobs ladders, but that is something different. In order to get a spark to jump that gap it is going to have quite a big charge behind it. mine is only about 2-3" gap with a 2000V converter and I keep it inside a tube so no hands can get near it. Those are exposed. Looks wicked but could be hazardous... I LIKE IT!

After trying to find something similar, I've come up short. given the shape and the insulation, It reminds me of the top of a high voltage transformer, like you see on poles or in power stations. I doubt if it is meant to be a spark gap.
Thanks for looking Therewolf

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,442 Posts
I would look for some sort of manufacturers name,logo, part number , or add more pictures if you want to find out what it is.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would look for some sort of manufacturers name,logo, part number , or add more pictures if you want to find out what it is.
The manufacturer name is rubbed off of the glass, there’s no logos. There’s some numbers and a part name on the bottom but that brings nothing up like this

·
Undertaker
3,263 Posts
its a type of Jacob ladder insulator.....They have all kinds of warning for use, i.e not for out door use, wet areas, pacemaker, smart phone,
etc...

·
Registered
461 Posts
its a type of Jacob ladder insulator.....They have all kinds of warning for use, i.e not for out door use, wet areas, pacemaker, smart phone,
etc...
It's nothing of the sort. It is some sort of high voltage capacitor made by Jennings Radio.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now the question is, does it do anything visually when power is applied? I don’t see anyone with a video of this machine on YouTube. Also is it going to send out radiation?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Now the question is, does it do anything visually when power is applied? I don’t see anyone with a video of this machine on YouTube. Also is it going to send out radiation?
I doubt it would emit radiation, or do much of anything if powered on other than possibly electrocute you. I think your best bet would be seeing if those balls on the top can be removed, or maybe the bottoms, and putting some sort of lighting inside which you could hide behind the copper core.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts