Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. Had a great time planning the Brain Research Center this year.

We had 200 or more Patients come into the Center this year, with about 90 volunteering to be part of the Gorilla Brain Wave Transfer Experiment. A huge success with kid and parent alike. The Transmitter works with two Gemmy Electroshock hats that we picked up from CVS this year and wired together with a control box that would activate the hats in unison transferring those brain waves. More on it later. Just wanted to get the photos up and have a video tour of the Center coming once I get it uploaded to YouTube.

This was our PRESET UP.

The banner was a 18 x 54 banner from Shindigz which we customized. First time using a banner for our haunt and thought it added an air of authenticity to the Center.

The Center wasn't scheduled to open until 6pm (and we were running a little late with last touches but no Patients until about 6:30pm).

Our Brain Surgery Area with nurse in attendance.

The Out Patient Waiting Area.

And this was our World Famous Brain Wave Transfer procedure area. Everyone loved the Gorilla although I did get a question of why he was wearing prison garb. We said it was his Patient Number. Had bought fabric to create a custom Patient name label for the outfit to cover the number but one of those last minute projects that didn't get completed in time.

Here's the magic box that does the transfer:

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PRE OPENING CHECKS of lighting and props.

Still working on things but getting close.

Nurse is on standby for any one who gets queasy over the blood from Brain Surgery or participating in the Experiment.

The Brain Surgery Power System is up and running through it's checks:

The Doctor's coat is ready for putting on and surprisingly Hubby decided to wear it (looked fabulous! Wouldn't agree to any photos and all I could think was that his mom would have loved to see her son the Doctor!)

Center looks ready

but one last check of the Transfer equipment:

And the Eye is turned on, searching for Patients on the street, ever watchful, and a kid favorite in our neighborhood.

Back later tonight with the video walk-through before the kids arrived.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Outstanding pics, Spookie! I love all the props, especially the old lady greeter dressed as a nurse.

I hope all the TOTs had fun with the set-up. Was there anyone in the gorilla suit or is that a static prop?

Fantastic job!

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave. It was a fun evening. Kids who started out timid and held back looking at the gorilla, a lot of times ended up lining up with their friends to be a volunteer patient after one brave soul went through the transfer first. Some kids immediately jumped to be first. Some when they heard there was a sucker/lollipop in the deal quickly got in line. The parents joined in the fun too. And quite a number took either photos or cellphone videos of the experiment. We had about 200 or so Patients come through last night, way up from the 120 or so in past good years, and about 90 of them volunteered for the Brain Wave Transfer Experiment. The night started out with hubby saying he didn't think anyone would want to do it, just come in and get candy and rush out. First group of people off the bat proved him wrong. He couldn't hand out the regular candy fast enough to come back and perform his doctor duties for the experiment as sometime a dozen or so of patients lined up for their turn in the seat with more waiting outside on the sidewalk. Even had one little scuffle when one kid tried to cut in line to sit in the chair and we had to assure them that everyone would get a chance and there were plenty of pops to go around.

The gorilla was a Pose-N-Stay with jumpsuit and gorilla mask, hands and feet. One kid I think asked if it was real. The gorilla was definitely the star of the night. Would have loved to have had hubby dress up as a gorilla but feel fortunate he even donned the doctor's coat.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the video I took before the kids were coming in. It's from a cellphone not a low-lux video camera so you might need to turn your screen brightness up.

Kind of hard to tell but there's Crazy Bonez fish in the fountain....victim of our California drought I guess. LOL.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used 5 of the Gemmy Short Circuit bulbs and loved them. 4 of them we set to flicker and the 5th we kept steady on just adding enough light above the gorilla so people could take pictures. Gave off more light than captured in the photos or video.

A few planned things didn't happen. Had the High Voltage power box ready to go with John Doe (via MIT cable) but it started out a bit windy and poor John Doe kept falling over when he was upright so we kill him and left him for dead. Our nurse was wired to a short step ladder as she was only 3 feet high and she too had some windblown issues despite the wire until we came up with a better way to stabilize her.

Had originally intended to add a lab shelf of my prepared specimen jars and a Coat Rack Monster for the Out Patient Waiting Room for a little scare but our courtyard was really smaller than I imaged so those got nixed. One of my GR ladies was going to be posed either as an outpatient all bandaged up or as another nurse but hubby thought we had enough out and should make sure there was room for the ToTers. He thought with it being a Saturday and great warm evening that we'd get more people than last year and he was right. We also would get slammed with groups of 8 - 12 at one time and sometimes 2 groups so while most got into the Center, some had to wait on the sidewalk until the first group was through.

No glitches with the props working. Well except when we were making last minute staging changes and I accidentally knocked the Brain Wave Transmitter box we had worked on so hard to put together onto the floor and the light stopped working. :eek: oops. Hubby was able to open it up and fix it and we were back in business. While the hats still worked when the switch was thrown having the red light on added to the realism of it. Great night, great group of kids and parents, in costume including some of the parents. Got tons of compliments from kids and parents alike who thought it was cool. Even had several kids on the street raving about it to their parent who then had to come up and see what we did. Funny thing was originally we were planning on two props, the Gorilla and a human prop. After I saw a photo booth set up from one of the haunters on here, I thought about it and revised plans to let the kids jump into the action. Couldn't have worked out better.

BTW posted a Tutorial of wiring up two Gemmy Electroshock hats together with a switch if anyone decides to try something like this where you want both hats to go on in unison.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I love it GOS! So clever and nicely executed. The nurse is great and all your attention to details like the waiting room/procedure area/open signs really make all the difference. Love the banner too. And so glad your doctor decided to wear his professional attire :) I'm sure the kids loved it. Strong work!

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How fun! My god, are those Frankenstein monster Tiki heads?

They look like they could be almost but they are actually containers with a lid on them. I think they are styrofoam, kind of on the light side and still in protective outer plastic. I bought them from CostPlus World Market on Halloween clearance gee probably 5 years or so. Finally did a haunt theme I figured I could use them with. :)

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
GoS everything is just Delightful! I love all your signage and your nurse is just wonderful! The whole thing is very clever. I'm sure the parents chuckled and appreciated the humor and the TOTs must have been over the moon with the overall creepy fun of your display.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW I'm pretty sure if it weren't for the extra candy, not as many kids would have participated but hard to say. They certainly were an inducement when I mentioned volunteers got one for participating.

These are the suckers that I used as an enticement. Came 100 to each Frankenstein head.

Saw these in Target early on and bought the green face version before that color was sold out (first to go in our store). The top of his head has lollipop stick holes in it so you can use the Franken head pail (has a handle too) as a lollipop server and kids can take one from the display. Perfect treat for our volunteers and just what you'd expect in a Frank N Stein office. Wasn't sure how kids would go for the suckers over say chocolate, but they seemed to be a big hit so don't rule them out. Cheaper than chocolate too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts