Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea and information from a video on youtube. I built it and wanted to share it with you. It's really not hard to do. It's a pop up type of prop that raises the arms of your monster/skeleton as it gets higher. I will post more info after it is finished!

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
Interesting. I want to see this thing in action. Good mark up of parts and placement.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That video you found on Youtube didnt happen to be from "houseofbaddreams" was it?

Henry Forester from our group Rocky Mountain Haunters did that.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep! That's the one. He did a Great job on it and I was impressed. The only thing I did different was to use 3/4" pvc instead of 1/2" and I'm gonna use an air cylinder instead of a door closer. I'm working on the rear linkage now and will reinforce the bottom bar that the cylinder will be pushing on with an aluminum plate. In one of his videos, he shows that the bottom bar split in two, so that was a weak point. After I'm done, if I like it, I may do the rear two arms in conduit pipe. I just have to figure out how to connect it to the pvc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
yep, you really need to use 3/4 pvc at a minimum, He had problems with the pvc breaking at stress points, he rebuilt it with the larger diameter pvc and its been golden. that movie was his very first prototype.

I thought the idea was genious, was planning on building my own this year.. but we all say that ;)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update with pictures

Some progress today.....

The rear braces are 2x4's screwed to a 2x6 bottom. I used 1/2 inch conduit pipe that slips into the 2x4's on each side. My 3/4" pvc slips over the conduit. I did that to strengthen the pvc. I just got my air cylinder today. It will be mounted and pushing up on the lower bar. I will slip a 1/2" conduit pipe into the 3/4" pvc pipe on that lower bar because there is alot of stress there. I plan on drilling holes through the pvc & conduit to fasten a mount for my air cylinder. My upper bar is not trimmed enough right now in these pictures, that's why the head leans forward.

The rear frame showing conduit and pvc

Frame with pvc installed

Rear Frame

Frame with head

Frame head and arms

MORE TO COME!!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Looks good and keep the updates coming I am looking at doing some pneumatics next year and this could be an option.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update with pictures

Some progress this weekend......

Rear mount for new air cylinder made with L brackets.

Front mount made fron scrap iron. Screws go through Mount, conduit inside pvc, the pvc itself, and an aluminum L at the bottom just for safety. This bottom bar is strong!!

I modified the conduit pipes on the rear because the other way would not allow my to disassemble this thing for storage. They can now be slipped out by pulling a pin.

I had forgot to install my 1/2" conduit inside the lower pvc arm so I just drilled a hole and slid it in.

I screwed the arms on instead of gluing. Thi allows me to disassemble, change arm position, or repair if they happen to get ripped off. I also used a noodle to beef up the arms.

Here is the latest progress.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I really like how you solved the issue of brittle pvc by using the electrical conduit.
ive allways used larger diameter pvc to solve this (1 1/4- 1 1/2) which gets costly with the fittings, ect.. did the conduit add to the weight of the prop at all that you could tell? (psi to raise the mech)

sometimes I wish I could use smaller diameter pvc, this would solve my problems with the pvc breaking.

Thanks for the updates, keep em coming!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
You can use dowel rod in the smaller diameter pvc, i have done this with great effect. The prop looks great, i think i will put this on my to do list maybe for next year.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update with pictures

The 1/2" conduit slips right into the 3/4" pvc and makes it superstrong. No noticable weight gain either. I just happen to have some in my shop so that's why I used it. I bought the air cylinder from frightprops - FrightProps - Halloween Decorations, Halloween Props, Pneumatic Props, Animated Props, Halloween Accessories It's a 1 inch diameter with 12 inches of stroke. As of now, I test ran it today and it will lift it in the air with about 25-30lbs of air pressure!! I'm sure once I get his clothes on, hands etc... it will take a bit more, but it runs smoothly! Here's a few updated pics..

Making the hands -I used little pieces of wood with holes drilled in the center for knuckles, and 1/4" clear tubing for fingers, and the wire is from clothes hangers. (I crimped the ends onto the tubing.) Wire runs through end cap then out a hole I drilled into pvc arm, and then clamped with a hose clamp. This holds very good!! I bought carped adhesive, cotton, and my wife promised me panty hose to get the rotting effect going. I'll update more later!

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
I like it!!! so is this going to come out of a coffin or what cuz that is a lot of pipe and base to hide.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Progress with pictures and video

OK, so I bought some carpet adhesive and cotton for the hands. It's a real messy job to do! I think the hands came out ok but I still have to stain them with reddish stain. I zombied up the shirt with coffee and mud, and also a little red paint. I think the shirt looks good but smells bad!!! I sprayed it down with some old polo cologne but I think it's worse!! Hope it wears off soon... The two videos shows it in motion. Almost done now!!! WHEW!!!

Carpet Adhesive

Hands

Videos!!!

YouTube - FOUR BAR PROP

YouTube - four bar prop

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looking good.....the prop's not bad either ;).

Sorry. I love being able to put a face with a user name.

The prop is indeed very cool. Especially for only 4lbs of pressure. Nice work!

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,362 Posts
Hallow and this is just waaaay WAAAAY too awesome!! Wonder if I could convince my personal prop builder ;) to tackle such a project?! So cool - and how will you conceal the base? Does it pop out of something - or from behind a wall? Curious brains wish to now! To top it off -- Your space for building is making me drool.... Hey.. who's the little monster waiving from the back corner in the last photo? BOO!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts