Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm new to the site and love it so far. You all are so creative and helpful. I posted two items in the requests for tutorials section, but think this might be better.

I have a motor that I tore out of a food processor and it goes FAST. I'd love some ideas of what to make with it. I don't have much experience with electronics in my props, but I've been taking things apart for years so I know how things work for the most part.

I also found an old electric blanket that was just going to be thrown away, but ripped the control boxes/dimmers off of it and was wondering if I could simply replace the heated wires with regular copper wire to carry a current to something like a light.

Any help on either of these would be most welcome.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Trying to slow a motor down with resistance, at least from "FAST" to something like what people doing haunt stuff are generally looking for (say 1200 RPM to 5-50 RPMs) doesn't usually work very well. (Pulse width modulation is the way to go for motor speed control, but don't let me imply that I know too much about it or if it would even work here.)

You best bet would be to find some sort of gear train you could hook it up to, but often those already have motors attached to them.

I have a couple boxes for things like this based on the premise that some day I'm going to need a motor that is like such and such, an there it will be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^Thanks for the idea about the gears. I think I'm going to use it to run an axworthy so i'll use a mixture of gears and resistance to get it the right speed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts