Halloween Forum banner

41 - 60 of 635 Posts

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Runes are ancient alphabet. They are used to foretell things. I have been reading today. Stopped by Dollar Tree and bought some rocks. I have two sets ready to paint or draw on the symbols. I am also doing the Viking Runes like the others. They are easier to draw. I am going to make a box for mine like the box that booswife did for the fortune teller stuff. Thought it would be good on a table. Will share photos when I get it done.

A couple of those tall glass candles like saki and Bethany and some have made would be nice, too. Hmm... have to look for an image to go on them. I wonder what size it needs to be. For a buck a candle plus the print out, there could be one of these candles for each table. I hope to do several different types of tables.

I can't wait to see that steampunk fortune teller booth. I am still having trouble visualizing the whole steampunk. When I see something that is this style I rrecognize it, but just can't come up with ideas for it. I did have one but someone did something already very similar and I don't want to seem to copy. So, I may sit out this craft for June..

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You know I had always just grouped all this into one big lump group. But, after reading all the info from booswife on the various types of fortune tellers I realized that I had some faulty knowledge. I was going to name my fortune teller with the Ouija board Clair Voyant, but now I guess that is a wrong name since from what booswife said, clairvoyance is when they touch people and see things. Hmm... So much for my cuteness. So that is like a medium, who just sees things.

I guess??????

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,001 Posts
Runes are ancient alphabet. They are used to foretell things. I have been reading today. Stopped by Dollar Tree and bought some rocks. I have two sets ready to paint or draw on the symbols. I am also doing the Viking Runes like the others. They are easier to draw. I am going to make a box for mine like the box that booswife did for the fortune teller stuff. Thought it would be good on a table. Will share photos when I get it done.

A couple of those tall glass candles like saki and Bethany and some have made would be nice, too. Hmm... have to look for an image to go on them. I wonder what size it needs to be. For a buck a candle plus the print out, there could be one of these candles for each table. I hope to do several different types of tables.

I can't wait to see that steampunk fortune teller booth. I am still having trouble visualizing the whole steampunk. When I see something that is this style I rrecognize it, but just can't come up with ideas for it. I did have one but someone did something already very similar and I don't want to seem to copy. So, I may sit out this craft for June..
no one will think you are a copy cat girl go for it and create that is what it is all about :)

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
You know I had always just grouped all this into one big lump group. But, after reading all the info from booswife on the various types of fortune tellers I realized that I had some faulty knowledge. I was going to name my fortune teller with the Ouija board Clair Voyant, but now I guess that is a wrong name since from what booswife said, clairvoyance is when they touch people and see things. Hmm... So much for my cuteness. So that is like a medium, who just sees things.

I guess??????
Well, I like the name you are giving your fortune teller. You sign will be mailed when I get home. I am still sticking with my Madame FaBooLous :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
I like the name Clair Voyant! Clairvoyance can come in different forms. The person can, rather than seeing the future, "see" what is happening as it's happening in another location. They can touch someone or something and see things. They may appear to be possessed, and say things that they would otherwise know nothing about. "Clairvoyant" translates to "sees clearly," so it's just another word for "seer." :)

I'd like to name my fortune teller either Miss Fortune, or Madame Misfortune.

This is such a great thread!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Incorporating charms and talismans in the fortune teller's costume or display could help make things look authentic.

"Evil eyes" are pretty easy to find (the necklace below is listed on our Etsy site, and you can find the charms at craft stores.) They are supposed to ward off evil spirits, hexes, curses, and anyone/thing who might wish you harm.
052.jpg

The Ankh, the Egyptian symbol for life (specifically eternal life,) is often combined with the Eye of Horus, a symbol of protection and good health.

Crescent moons and stars are classically associated with fortune tellers, especially because they're celestial symbols. They are also associated with Pagan and Islamic religions. The moon is often associated with femininity, and the crescent moon is used as a symbol of the cycle of life/new beginnings.

The Triquetra, or Trinity Knot, is most often identified as a Celtic symbol, but is also associated with the Norse god, Odin. It represents the triple aspects of the self (mind, body, and spirit,) and of various deities. Here's a wreath I made for St. Patrick's Day (my hubby's birthday;) I drew the Triquetra on a birch slice from a package I bought at Michaels.
005.jpg

A talisman is just an object that represents something powerful, like a memory, or something that's been prayed over or sanctified. Little doodads look great grouped together and hung from a cord around the neck or wrist, or attached to a sash or belt.

Those are just some examples. If you want your seer to represent a particular group of people, then you may want to research symbolism from that religion or part of the world. Most recognizable symbols can be found as charms or jewelry, and are easy to draw, paint, or decoupage on beads, rocks, handmade clay pendants, wooden plaques, etc.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Hallorenescene, they Eye of Horus and the moon are just Google examples, so I'd do a search to check for free images. :) Sorry, meant to mention that when I was posting!

I like Madame Misfortune, too, so now that I've gotten some feedback, I think she's been named!

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
This was posted by Dawnski on her thread about the Haunted Hotel:

"I thought I had some before pictures but I guess I didn't take any. This was a dark cherry table I picked up for 50 cents at some yard sale. I primed it white, then painted it a royal red. I made a stencil of the Supernatural tv show tattoo. A little more pizazz than a regular pentagram. I had wanted to paint the exorcism they say in Latin along the ring of the table. But my handwriting is for crap and trying to stencil the letters turned out to be a big mess. That was a big fail. I hot glued some fringe and voila! This is going to make a great tipping table in the middle of our room. I hope somebody plays.

I thought this was great for the gypsy fortune teller thread so just reposted here, too.

red table.jpg
and this shows the legs of dawnski's table
red table 2.jpg

I have been wanting to find a round table to use for a Ouija Board and this would be perfect for that.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I was looking through the books that I bought from an online FB local sale recently and realized what treasures I have!

The one titled 8 Ways to Tell Your Fortune is great. It lists info and illustrations for Tarot, Numerology, Palmistry, Runes, Reading Auras, Pendulum Dowsing, I Ching and Crystal Zodiac.

Numerology is fascinating. I spent a while figuring out my numbers and it is fascinating. It is a lot like horoscopes in that it is right on with info that really fits me.

I also am buying a resin palm from ebay for a table. It is about 5 1/2 inches tall and has the marks on it for reading.

I heard back from Rikki from the Forum and am also buying a divination board from her. They are beautiful!!! I remembered them from past years and PMd here. She doesn't have them on her Etsy at the moment but had 5 made up. Very elegant looking.

Whoot, I am so loving this idea.

I talked to my young niece who has a young boy and girl and several of my daughter's friends with young kids. I am thinking about having a small kids party on a Saturday afternoon for the kids. I can do the fortune telling magic fish and give out homemade wands. They will be requested to come dressed as witches, wizards, warlocks or gypsy fortune tellers. We can do some of the fun games that I might not do at an adult event and have fun. It can be a sort of prediction of the future event. LOL

I will still do my Be WITCHY with a slant being on fortune telling devices this year. Maybe the witches having to branch out in their careers. Ha!

Maybe a Boo Bash, too. Just depends on how I am doing by then.

41 - 60 of 635 Posts