Halloween Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has decided she wants to sit on the front porch this year dressed up as a fortune teller. (I stand at the iron gate which is just a few feet from her, so her plan is to keep me company.)

The advice I need is whether I should buy one of those Spirit Balls for her or just buy a regular glass crystal ball. She is kinda shy, so she won't want to actually speak to the TOTs, so maybe the Spirit Ball is the better way to go. I keep going back and forth with what we should do.

Okay - hit me with your thoughts please.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If she is REALLY shy, I would go with the Spirit Ball.... but maybe if you say you didn't find one, and get her a clear ball, she will get into the mood and "participate" more... However, you don't want to get her fed up with Halloween... How old is she?

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I tell you she's 19 - does that make me old? LOL

I found a super cool looking gazing ball I think I might get her. Then I'll leave it up to her if she wants to actually "talk" or just sit there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Buy a cheap fish bowl or that type of bowl and flip it upside down. For a more real look... Paint a crackle type or thin layer of whatever colored paint to it. Flip it upside down add a flickering bulb or black light bulb underneath it. Add a fog machine under the table and add back lighting. So when they approach her all they see is her silhouette and the flickering ball. OOOOR, put her in a home made booth, like the old pay for a fortune type of booth.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Anonymity! Use cheese cloth or something spooky enough to hide her idenity, along with the rest of the costume. This will give her the sence of being unknown, and maybe she will get in the mood to put on a show for the treaters. I know all to well, if no one knows who you are, your theatrical side comes out and you dont worry about anything socially negitive ( my neighbors dont need anymore negitive things to say about me at homeowners meetings lol)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
well i have the large gypsy spirit ball and everyone liked it at halloween 2007 , your daugther could ask the kids to put their hands on the ball to call the spirits then make it speak ....

or if your daugther is ok with some prewritten phrases , sometimes you get into it just by the way the kids will act and react ....

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. Here's what we came up with:

I bought the gazing ball and ordered some beaded curtains. I will hang the curtains up around her to create a make-shift booth (thanks streakn). We'll make some more pvc candles to put all around her. I'm going to try to make a lighted FORTUNE TELLER sign to hang over her. If she decides to talk to the TOTs, fine, if not, no big deal. She is also responsible for handing out the candy while she's sitting there, so maybe she could say something like: "I see candy in your future" and hand them some. LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts