1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
623 Posts
If I'm reading it correctly the LED flood puts out 900 lumens and a basic halogen flood puts out 1500 lumens so that would make the LED flood just under 2/3s as bright.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
You can to get LED floods that are substantially more powerful than 10 watts. I know Lowes has a 23 watt PAR38 LED bulb that produces 1600 lumens, but they cost like $50. Also, a 1500 lumen halogen spotlight bulb should be a 75 watt bulb.

·
Hauntless
8,304 Posts
What you will learn is that LED floods are much more saturated in color and more focused (narrower beam of light) So, you wouldn't need the same type of brightness. I switched out my two 100 watt incandescent bulbs for four 50 LED bulbs and actually got better blue light. These were not that big of bulb, heh. But, because of the narrower beam got two of them in a double light holder and had a set of two (for a total of four) in the two front corners of the cemetery. Here's a link: http://www.minionsweb.com/osStore/50-led-spot-bulb-blue-p-282.html

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chewie, thanks I must have missed the lumen measurement in the description. I think I am going to get a few and see how they do. At that price I think they are worth a try. I have been wanting to go to LED's but it has seemed difficult to find a complete package that isn't expensive.

My electric bill had a noticeable increase last year from all of the lights so we will how it does this year :D

·
A 1 man army of darkness
2,586 Posts
Actually, watt per comparable watt, you might be surprised at the output of LED. Some are even much more efficient than HID lighting, for far less cash outlay. The problem being, at the moment, that most high power LED's are for the most part, strictly in the DIY realm. For instance, a 100w LED cluster can put out 3500 lumen, which is perfectly suited for a direct daylight viewable projector replacement. There are some claiming 12,000 lumen from 100w, but I'm a believe it when I see it type...that said, I haven't seen those directly yet.

There is in my opinion, one fallacy caused by the color saturation that LED's have (and colored florescent too btw). You lose much detail with the color saturation. There is a cheap cure for that though. Instead of colored LED lights, just get the cool white ones instead, then use a lighting color gel. Gel's won't oversaturate, but will make the color readily apparent. Thrilltainment @ Dark Lights posted a very good thread about this last year, you should check it out. :)

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/116205-how-properly-use-colored-led-lighting-your-props-scenery.html

The thing is, you can DIY a similar setup for 1/10th the cost (less if you really shop around for the parts), which is the only argument I have with Dark Lights. Alternatively, simply adding a low power white light source will give you a roughly similar effect when paired with super color saturated light sources like colored LED's & florescent bulbs. For a great example, look at SpiderRiders display. I use a similar technique except with a low power led spot light on my skelly in my hell hole since I'm using CFL's for the color wash.

And without the white spot...

It probably goes without saying, but the color pops a good bit nicer with the contrast, even though I should've diffused the white light a little more. As you noticed, it also helps a good bit with cmos's in digital cameras that are noisy in night shots. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
darknesshalloween
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing