Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Wonderful job, love it. Any hints on how it was done? Love to make a couple for my Broom Parking area.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the kind words.

I like this broom! Fantastic job! May I ask if the broom handle is real wood???? It looks great. Any witch would be proud to have it! :)
There could be no better compliment then asking if the broom handle is real wood. It looks great as you say, because it is made with "Great Stuff" spray foam.

Design details:

Broom handle
-The handle started out as a length of grey pvc pipe which was carefully shaped with a heat gun (modeled after an ergonomic rake handle.)
-Sand over entire pipe
-spray foam in end of pipe
-sparingly cover pipe with spray foam.
-Remove excessive spray foam if necessary
-burn spray foam with Bar-BQ lighter to melt and color, achieving desired look*
-Protect with multiple coats of semi-gloss poly urathane spray

Brush
-gather fine whisps of vine to create desired look
-drill pilot hole through centre of pipe approx. 4"- 6" from bottom
-Insert handle through center of vine bunch approx. 6"- 8"
-Secure wire band firmly through pilot hole of handle and around brush collar
-Tightly wrap jute cord or the equivelent around brush collar and wire to achieve desired look
-Cut brush collar straight around handle
-Trim brush whisps to desired length

*Caution: spray foam extremely flamable and creates toxic fumes.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,279 Posts
I never would have guessed that was a pvc pipe. :eek:

That is some really inventive and creative work - and the broom is just beautiful!:cool:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow Fantastic job with the broom. It looks like you put in a lot of effort and creativity to make it turn out like you did. I'm impressed. How much time did you have in it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you everyone for the compliments. I'm my own biggest critic and never think things are good enough.

NOTE: burn /scorch foam in small sections at a time to achieve desired look. Wear respirator or hold breath, burn, run away, breath and repeat.

Wow Fantastic job with the broom. It looks like you put in a lot of effort and creativity to make it turn out like you did. I'm impressed. How much time did you have in it?
Actually it was one of the easiest and fun props I have made. I kind of made it up as I went along. I never really knew if it would turn out, being as I had never heard of anyone doing this technique. I had intentions of sanding and painting the spray foam to create the look of wood. Sanding didn't work so I tried burning it and was pleasantly surprised how much it looked like reel wood as was. As far as working time I probably spent about 4 hours start to finish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts